Shaw Xku Triple LNBF FAQ

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
What is the new XKU LNBF?
This LNBF will be required to receive MPEG4 signals from Anik G1 scheduled to come online in late 2012.

How is it installed?
Undo leads from builtin multiswitch at dish. Unscrew existing LNBF. Attach new LNBF. Attach cables to builtin multiswitch (cable order not important). Call SD for receiver code change.

Will I need to reaim the dish?
No G1 will be co-located with F1 and F1R @ 107.3

Is there a stacked XKU LNBF?
No - you will need to run 2 additional lines.

Are there different XKU LNBFs for 60 and 75 dishes?
Yes - they are not interchangable.

I live outside the footprint of G1, do I need the new LNBF?
No

I have existing multiswitch inside, will it work with this new LNBF?
Yes - as long as it covers the 950 to 2150 mghz range. If you presently have a stacked system with a 2 X whatever switch inside, it will need to be changed to 4 X whatever.

Will my 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx receivers receive signals from G1?
No - G1 will be MPEG4 only. Only 6xx receivers receive MPEG4 signals.

I take 1 receiver south during the winter, will I need a new LNBF for that dish as well?
Anyone who is signed up for the Home and Away program will automatically receive 2 new LNBFs when their upgrade occurs

What is the footprint?
Anik G1 | Telesat.com

Thanks for the great info Satellite Expert. I have a couple of questions for you or the board regarding the new LNBF.

1) Is Shawdirect making the upgrade mandatory for everyone?

2) Does Shawdirect mail you the new LNBF or send a tech to do the swap?

3) I have a friend who owns a small SMATV who uses 2 separate dishes for 107 and 111. The system is stacked running into a Multiswitch. How would you run 2 separate dishes with the new LNBF? There are probably many people down south using the 2 dish setup.

4) Can you buy these LNBF's from a supplier other than Shawdirect?

1) Is Shawdirect making the upgrade mandatory for everyone?
No it is being installed on new installations and LNBF replacements.

2) Does Shawdirect mail you the new LNBF or send a tech to do the swap?
Tech's are doing the swaps except in rural areas and for Home away from Home customers

3) How would you run 2 separate dishes with the new LNBF?
He should contact Shaw Broadcast Services after G1 becomes operational

No - only Shaw will be using the XKU band in North America

Folks,

A word of caution. Most of the early HDDSR 600 Recievers initially shipped with faulty firmware that needs to be corrected before the XKU LNBF will work. The 605 & 630 versions are not affected. If I was in the areas south of the Anik G1 footprint (~65% of the USA and all points south) I'd strongly consider getting hold of the last generation 505 & 530 if you need a replacement unit and stick with your present LNBs.

No - only Shaw will be using the XKU band in North America[/QUOTE]

On another forum it says "All other Secondary Users will be required to purchase a new Triple LNB which retails for $113 (inc. tax) in the Toronto area." => so someone is selling it.

I'll poke around to my contacts and see where to get one if you like.

I'd strongly consider getting hold of the last generation 505 & 530 if you need a replacement unit

Except that NHL/NFLST SD + many Canadian locals in standard definition are already changed to MPEG4

Over time all F1R/F2 HD channels will be converted to MPEG4. All 2xx, 3xx, 4xx + 5xx units are obsolete.

I have seen a jpg of the new LNBF. Does it have the same LNBF in the F2 side as the F1R side in case G2 ever gets launched?

Except that NHL/NFLST SD + many Canadian locals in standard definition are already changed to MPEG4

Over time all F1R/F2 HD channels will be converted to MPEG4. All 2xx, 3xx, 4xx + 5xx units are obsolete.

I have seen a jpg of the new LNBF. Does it have the same LNBF in the F2 side as the F1R side in case G2 ever gets launched?

SD folks have advised (on a different forum) there is no plan (at present) to convert F1R/F2 HD channels wholsale over to MPEG4. (Although I'm never certain you can believe them.) But to do it in one swoop would mean a tremendous backlog of recievers to change out as well as LNBs. They wouldn't have enough inventory and service people. The gradual shift they are doing now with all new Customers, and once G1 is operational there will be a growing demand for HD on that Bird continuing the trend. Right now there are still folks only pulling down frm one Bird with their old gear, and for the most part, are fine just the way they are.

xku.jpg

From the picture above, you will notice three lnbs. From left to right: The first on the left is the existing and now discontinue Quad LNB. The middle one is the x Ku Raven LNBF used for 60cm dishes. and the one in the far right, is the new XKu lnbf used for 75cm dishes.

As a quick tip for people using an XKU for the first time, turn an existing active receiver to channel 700 (assuming it wasn't on a single look dish), and brand new receivers to channel 252. Only turn the receiver to 252 just prior to it being activated, as it prematurely dled's the wrong software due to technology gaps between the XKU and the current receiver line up. Waiting ten minutes is also a good idea, cause changing channels prior to the channel map being fully loaded will corrupt the download forcing you to do a factory reset, and get fresh hits to restart the download.

No - only Shaw will be using the XKU band in North America

On another forum it says "All other Secondary Users will be required to purchase a new Triple LNB which retails for $113 (inc. tax) in the Toronto area." => so someone is selling it.

I'll poke around to my contacts and see where to get one if you like.[/QUOTE]

I contacted an Installer who said he's got a few xKu LNBs he'd part with for $50 (plus shippng & handling I'd bet).

By the looks of the pictures, Triple LNBF might be a misname as I wouldn't be surprised if both sides have equivalent hardware to allow X Ku reception at 111.1. It doesn't make manufacturing $ sense to have 2 part designs when 1 would suffice.

I have a 630 rec.. and live in miami fl will I need to upgrade?

Not if you are happy with your present package from Shaw Direct. If you want to subscribe to the new offerings off the G1 Bird for another reciever in Canada, you'd upgrade, as all the recievers on the account as they usually take the same V-Code.

The new xKU LNBF is only required if you want programming from the new 3rd satellite (G1). Much like SD's still got customers with a round dish and single-satellite LNBF, you'll be able to continue to receive programming from the existing 2 satellites with your existing equipment. I've heard instances where they will vary the V-Code stream for legacy Customers with the Home & Away Package when the Home Dish is a Quad LNB and the away dish is different.

Don't throw away your old LNB.
Find a member from the FTA Department of this forum, and give it to them to play with.
Not really worth anything, but you might make a friend. :)
Maybe Iceberg; he's the moderator.
He'll give us an idea of some suggested uses.

I have my own motorozied dish with a linear LNB that I use to receive Shaw programming (and FTA stuff). Will there be a stand alone LNB doing this new frequency range available anywhere, or do I have to throw this beast of an LNB onto my setup?

Has anyone pointed out that G1 channels will not be available that far south. Changing LNB's to the XKU for anyone in the united states is irrelevant. This is my understanding of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)