Shaw Xku Triple LNBF FAQ

Would it make sense to put this new LNB at my southern residence just to avoid the V-code change when the receiver is used in the south or will it not matter?

If you are a snowbird and commute north to south and use the same account it depends. If you purchase Channels off G1 (when it's up and active) and you watch them in Canada, you'll need the XKu LNB there and in the south if you are not on the Home & Away Program. Shaw Direct with let those folks have a different V Code on their away box. (I know a guy with 3 different V Codes on his account and don't know how he did it yet...) If you've just got an account in the South (where G1 won't be catchable) save your money. ;)

Similarly, if you are the Snowbird described above but don't want G1 channels anywhere then no need to move to the new LNB at any location.

I hope this is helpful.:cool:

The receivers are used in both locations and of course when I'm in Canada I will want the G1 channels to come in.

Well, I'm near Toronto...

What programming will be on the new sat? And is there a standalone LNB that will do these frequencies?

No standalone LNBF

There will be 16 transponders with loading in MPEG4 of 6 HD channels/transponders or 16 to 20 SD channels

Shaw is required to put up 48 additional SD OTA channels to meet minimum CRTC requirements.

That means that 4 of the transponders will be standard definition (3 new ones + the MPEG 4 SD signals from F1R/F2)

Expect the 72 HD signals on the remaining 12 transponders to be all Canadian OTA HD signals to meet the 1 station/network/province requirement. Shaw will fight this requirement tooth & nail ... and then lose. Then they'll blame the CRTC for the lack of new HD programming on G1. Shaw knows they need a second new satellite (G2) to meet consumer demand for HD - but they let the Industry Canada timeline slip by.

The new satellite will open up exactly 1 F1R/F2 transponder for 6 more HD channels in MPEG2. The Shaw marketing corporate carrots are growing wild as per usual. If farmers could grow carrots as well as Shaw marketing dept; there certainly wouldn't be any hunger in the world.

You won't see any significant growth in HD programming content on Shaw Direct until F1R/F2 transponders are changed to MPEG4.

Last edited:
mellaby,

G1 isn't working yet. Your current channels will not be migrating to it. It will be for all new SD channels or HD versions of existing channels. You only need a new Xku LNB is / when you begin to suscribe to these new feeds. ;)

mellaby,

You only need a new Xku LNB is / when you begin to suscribe to these new feeds.

And 6XX receivers will be required for G1. Also only 6XX units will have the firmware to access the Shaw EXO 1080p offerings when they are made available to SD subs next year.

Also only 6XX units will have the firmware to access the Shaw EXO 1080p offerings when they are made available to SD subs next year.

Only if they can be configured as clients for the ARRIS Media Gateway. Shaw has to convince Motorola to change out the 6 tuners in the Gateway from cable to satellite tuners. EXO is just Shaw's brand name for an Arris implementation.

Just to confirm I'm reading this right - I have an existing, activated receiver, and if I swap out my lnb in the morning and then call my broker to have Shaw change the v-code that day, my receiver needs to be on channel 700?

That is correct, and you should leave it for about 10 minutes to dl before changing channels.

Just to confirm I'm reading this right - I have an existing, activated receiver, and if I swap out my lnb in the morning and then call my broker to have Shaw change the v-code that day, my receiver needs to be on channel 700?

hi, I was changing up my shaw direct dual sat lnb with a triple sat lnb. It can not find anik F1. So i tried using birdog to re-aim it. with the dish pointed and the dual sat lnb, it can see the anik f1 (107khz) and anik f2 (111khz). With the same set up and triple sat LNB installed I can only see anik F2 (111khz), xku (107khz) and xku (111khz) but not anik f1(107khz). do the new triple sat LNB work off different voltages than the dual (18v/13v)?

Thanks for the reply! I was worried it might be a dead topic. I'm using a satellite finder called birdog, and it's not reading the frequency of anik f1 (using 3x sat LNB). If I need to have the channels re-mapped, wouldn't I still be able to read the frequencies of the satellite, just not view the pictures?

"If I need to have the channels re-mapped, wouldn't I still be able to read the frequencies of the satellite, just not view the pictures?"

No - the Extended Ku band LNBF has a local oscillator of 10.070 Ghz for 107.3. Your Birdog is looking for the standard Ku 10.750 frequency.

Thanks!! You were absolutely right. The output frequency was 677Mhz higher than the original. I was able to view the same channels by tuning to the frequency +677Mhz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts