shipping from Canada back to US

ggilbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
LaFayette, GA
When I go to Canada in July, can I buy a new Bell receiver and ship it back to myself in the states? I already have Bell service. I want a new receiver.

Be prepared for the possibility to pay duty and brokers fees. I got hit with a 45$ charge by UPS/Customs when my mother sent me my ShawDiretc box. She made the "mistake" of declaring it full value...

When I go to Canada in July, can I buy a new Bell receiver and ship it back to myself in the states? I already have Bell service. I want a new receiver.

Why ship it back, when you can just take it back with you. After you been out of the US 48 hours, you can bring back up to $800 value in goods a person.

Americans Returning to the US.

(no minimum time) $200 150 ml. (5 oz.) 10 Cigars (non-Cuban) Daily

After 48 hours $800 1 Litre (33.8oz.) of Liquor 1 Carton (200 Cigarettes and 100 Cigars (non-Cuban)

Hope this helps you out.;)

Yes, as Peano says...

UPS are crooks when shipping cross border. USPS and FedEx include customs brokerage in their rates and UPS does not. You will get a phone call asking if you want to use their brokers (~$35US) or if you have your own. Who, as a consumer, has their own customs broker? The stupid thing is that most electronics/computer equipment is exempt from any duties under the free trade agreement. All you should have to pay is sales tax. But like another poster said - why not just take it back with you? They are on display for sale at most major retailers including Best buy, Futureshop, The source, Bell world,....?

Satboyz

Hey, I am going to be traveling through Canana next week (Windsor-Montreal) and was wondering where I can pickup a Starchoice (aka Shaw) receiver and dish combo? I ordered StarChoice through a broker when we lived in VA but sold the receiver/dish when we moved. I was thinking about reestablishing service this fall since I really miss the hockey coverage.

Thanks!

Unfortunately most retailers do not sell the dish there because the installer brings it with him when he does the install

Since you're going to Montreal I suggest kusat. (dot com) They can sell both the dish and receiver

Unfortunately most retailers do not sell the dish there because the installer brings it with him when he does the install

Since you're going to Montreal I suggest kusat. (dot com) They can sell both the dish and receiver
Thanks, kusat was my broker in the past. The only problem with kusat is that the vehicle will be near capacity so I am looking for someone closer to Windsor. Anyway, we shall see...

I only want a new receiver and not necessary a new dish. Or, do they come in the same box? I can't bring the new receiver back with me because I'm flying to the states. So, I need to ship. Iceberg asked a good question. Does Bell require the retailer to fill out paperwork before they will sell a receiver?

Last edited:
But dosnt Bell require you to fill out some paperwork in the store?

Not anymore.

The receivers currently available for Bell are the 9241 (castrated 612) and the 6131 (castrated 211k) and perhaps the 4100 (111). And you can buy just the receiver.

Go to Bestbuy or Future Shop.

I only want a new receiver and not necessary a new dish. Or, do they come in the same box? I can't bring the new receiver back with me because I'm flying to the states. So, I need to ship. Iceberg asked a good question. Does Bell require the retailer to fill out paperwork before they will sell a receiver?

You certainly shouldn't have a problem at the airport. I once traveled with an E* receiver, no one asked anything, but if were asked about it I would have said it was a DVR. If your concern is customs, you could use a permanent marker and remove *C logos and say is a DVR.

Folks carrying a DVR, a game console, an IRD, etc shouldn't be concerned.
However, folks trying to bring avocados...

If this helps I was in Montreal 4 weeks ago and Bell even offered to Rent me a box if I could show any ID with the same name as on the account. I choose to buy it. I did not have to sign anything as others have posted. I also declared it at the border and they said it was exempt. Hope this helps since I had a first hand experience with it. I went by train. My only suggestion is no matter how you come back tell them what you have. The people who had issues were the people trying to hide things.

Do you know if these folks have a storefront in Montreal, or are they strictly an Internet business?

I Google Earthed/Street Viewed their address, but it was inconclusive as to whether there was actually a retail outlet at that address.

I know I am a little late to answer your question,but I can drive by that address this week and let you know if you are still interested.

Thank you for the offer.....it would be interesting to know. But, believe it or not, the UPS man is due ANY MOMENT with the upgrade receiver & dish I ordered from them!!!

So, if you're in the neighborhood, it would be good information to have......but please don't make a special trip. I've gotten the feeling from the verbiage on their website that they are Internet only.

But I must also say that they have been VERY helpful in providing what I needed....I would recommend them highly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts