shipping from Canada back to US

Just so everyone will know what I did do. Went to a Best Buy in Halifax and bought the receiver. Took it to the UPS Store and shipped it back to myself in Georgia. Cost about $35 to ship.

This has somewhat been answered but I just want to be sure. I ordered the new Shaw Direct PVR 630 Satellite and receiver and had it sent to my parents house in Canada. What do they need to do now to get it down to me?
1.If they ship it UPS/FedEx what exactly do they have to put on the shipping form for it to make it down to me and not put up red flags at the border?
2.Is it legal to put "satellite dish and receiver" on the package form or should they be more vague and put "electronics"?
3.As for the value in the package, do they claim the full $400 for the dish/receiver?
4.Are there any duty/customs that need to be paid on the dish/receiver?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have gone too long without CBC/TSN down here in the States and now that the dish/receiver has finally shipped to my parents I want to do everything possible to make sure they do the right things to get it down to me!

Thanks

I ordered my equipment from a vendor in Montreal and it was shipped to my address in the US via UPS, so this is not quite the same situation as yours:

Q1 & Q2: The receiver was sent in the original box, unwrapped, (red, with "Shaw Direct" logo and the model number of the receiver plastered all over it. The only thing that had been removed from the exterior of the box was the bar code. I'm not sure what this bar code contained.....serial number, maybe? But there was no attempt to hide the contents of the box.

Q3: can't help you with this one

Q4: I had to pay a "customs brokerage fee" to the UPS man on delivery (so you want to be home when it arrives......use the UPS Internet tracking for the hour of delivery). The fee was about $30, but that included the receiver and the dish. Not sure what it would have been if it had been the receiver alone.

Now, I'm not sure if the vendor had some special way of getting it thru customs, but from all outward appearances, it had been shipped via UPS directly from Montreal, as the UPS Internet tracking system followed it all the way. It took about 10 calendar days to arrive.

.....ship it Canada Post.

How about the delivery time? The playoffs start in April, ya know.....:rolleyes:

Seriously, I recently sent an 8-1/2x11 envelope with 3 single-sheet documents in it via the "accelerated" Canada Post. It was supposed to arrive at it's destination in Phoenix in 4-5 work days, and it was supposed to be able to be tracked via Internet.

It took 5 days just to get from Rimouski to the border, south of Montreal, then another day to get to New York City, and then another 5 days to get to Phoenix. Once it arrived in the US, I was supposed to be able to track it via US Post, but there was no intermediate tracking from New York until the moment it was delivered to the recipient. And, it cost 16.50$ CAD to send it.......

I suppose, like everything else, ya could "blame it on the Americans".......:rolleyes:

Hope your package does better than mine did.......:rant:

I think that the higher the value, the higher the brokerage fees and chances to get hit by them.
My preference is UPS/Purolator but my last 530 cost me 45$ in broker fees. The value declared was 300$...

When my mom tried to ship my 630, the guy behind the Purolator desk would not have anything to do with it. He said it was illegal. It is not. Maybe Purolator has a new in house rule but whatever....
My brother took over (my mom was traumatized after being called a signal thief!) and the pkg was sent via CanadaPost/USPS. It took 7 business days from Montreal to Fort Worth, TX for 29$ with a declared value of 100$ ith 100$ included insurance.

Last edited: