Shooting for 87 West

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have been posting over on the Orby forum as I purchased a Winegard DS-2076 and Geosat Pro SL1-PLL rather than the Orby supplied equipment. While I would certainly recommend Orby to some friends and relatives, my tastes are such that there are only a handful of channels that interest me and most of those are of the SD variety with Orby. The SD picture quality is about the same as those OTA -03 -04 channels and somehow the reduced resolution is more palatable when it is free.
It occurred to me that if I had a FTA receiver I could try for something more interesting. I have ordered the Amiko 265 from Ke4est and it may be here as soon as tomorrow. Programming I would find interesting would be Cozi at 103, LPB at 87 or of course the PBS at 125. It was a lot of physical work for me to get this dish mounted at it's current location and from there it turns out I only have LOS to 87 W. I realize a larger dish would be advised but this is what is paid for and mounted in the yard. I could always upgrade later.
I have not done true FTA for about 15 years. I am prepared with my azimuth, elevation and skew. I also know that before I start searching the sky I need to enter the satellite, transponder and frequency into the Amino's menu. Lyngsat quotes Tp 5 and 11811 H. I just was on LPB's web site and they cite 11808 and 11803. Are those all close enough that automatic compensation will adjust for it or what should I enter as a frequency? I thought we had a sticky thread that gave "strong transponders" for each satellite but I am not seeing it now. Would I be better off looking for the Florida or Patient Channel and then do a blind scan when I (hopefully) get a signal. I sure do not want to be out in the yard with the wrong information.
Thanks in advance for the information that I am sure is forth coming.

To get you in the ballpark use one of these two strong tps.

11960 H 29270 kbps
That is the Newsource hd feeds. It is very strong. I am hitting it at 90pct all day

The other is the DC Channel

11760 H 3979 kbps

I hit that one at 99 pct.

Once you find those you can find these two here and once you tune this in you will be dead nuts locked in to the bird.

The florida Lottery

12050 V 4800 kbps

New york lottery (scans in as Adtec 2) normally. It is up all day except between 10:30 pm central to about 4:00 A.M.

12135 H 3979 kbps

The patient channel is about the weakest tp on there with the exception of the New York lotto feed.

Hope this helps.

Well, it turns out I do not have line-of-sight to even LPB at 87 West due to the corner of my awning. I am going to return the Amiko 265 to Ke4est with the box unopened. I should have lived out there near our helpful member on the "Kansas and Missouri line". I have ordered a di-plexer so I can integrate my local sub-channels into the Orby DVR. Thankfully my OTA is strong enough to make it through the trees.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Well, it turns out I do not have line-of-sight to even LPB at 87 West due to the corner of my awning. I am going to return the Amiko 265 to Ke4est with the box unopened. I should have lived out there near our helpful member on the "Kansas and Missouri line". I have ordered a di-plexer so I can integrate my local sub-channels into the Orby DVR. Thankfully my OTA is strong enough to make it through the trees.

I dont know your situation besides trees. Those darn .

Well when I bought my house a few months back I was a bit disturbed as I have tons of trees by the house and big ones too! Well what I did was go out with a dish in hand and find where I needed to go to plant one. I have 1 and 1/8 acres so I knew I had work ahead of me. I ended up planting my dish 130 feet away from the house and having to run about an 145 foot trench to bury the cable. It was some work, but now you cant even see the trench anymore and I have a motorized dish scanning 30 to 129 degrees and about to put a bud up next to it! So if there is any way to put one up, even with some distance it is well worth it! Remember for every foot high the tree is just multiply by 1.1 and thats how far you need to be away from the tree. My trees in my backyard are about 130 feet high! So where now being about 165 feet away from them I clear them no problem.

If you have no way to do so I am sorry bud. That sucks.

What Skysurfer80 said. Don't give up so fast. Hang onto the satellite receiver for a bit. I've had 200+ feet of simple RG-6 run from dish to receiver and it still worked fine. Have you truly explored every corner of your property? The stations you mention are worth the effort. Add to them NHK World Japan and even CCTV Documentary. And the quality of fta signals can't be beat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts