Should I cancel Dish for U-Verse?

Probably too late to help original poster.
I just went thru this whole process. Uverse is definitely a better value (more channels, lower price) even at their regular pricing. With promo pricing and $250 cash back it's a GREAT deal.

IF....IF....the tech side is up to par. Mine was not.

My house is 6000 ft from the VRAD distribution point. According to several ATT tech folks (and I met about 6 of them the 2 weeks I had the service) anything past 4500 ft and the video data stream getsl flakey. Start getting a lot of little hiccups/picture stutter and freezes.

They did install their system and leave my dish setup intact...so with a little hdmi switching I could A/B compare the two video signals. At my location the uverse signal just wasn't as good as the Dish signal...but in a thunderstorm it didn't disappear either!

I kept uverse for 2 weeks and then cancelled. I have no complaints with ATT service - they tried their darndest . ATT offers 30 day money back guarantee, so it cost me nothing to check it out. The DSL part of the package is WAY better than my old ATT ADSL. Rock steady consistent speed. My olds POTS ADSL was up and down speed wise all over the place. So I kept the uverse optical fiber dsl and they even gave me a special deal on a speed upgrade (12mpbs) for my trouble.

Bottom line. DO NOT cancel dish before you've seen what Uverse looks like at your house. Could turn out to be an expensive mistake. But if you're inside that 4500 ft range of the VRAD, you'll likely find Uverse superior in terms of both picture and value. I wish it had worked out for me.

Good luck!:)

Probably too late to help original poster.
I just went thru this whole process. Uverse is definitely a better value (more channels, lower price) even at their regular pricing. With promo pricing and $250 cash back it's a GREAT deal.

IF....IF....the tech side is up to par. Mine was not.

My house is 6000 ft from the VRAD distribution point. According to several ATT tech folks (and I met about 6 of them the 2 weeks I had the service) anything past 4500 ft and the video data stream getsl flakey. Start getting a lot of little hiccups/picture stutter and freezes.

They did install their system and leave my dish setup intact...so with a little hdmi switching I could A/B compare the two video signals. At my location the uverse signal just wasn't as good as the Dish signal...but in a thunderstorm it didn't disappear either!

I kept uverse for 2 weeks and then cancelled. I have no complaints with ATT service - they tried their darndest . ATT offers 30 day money back guarantee, so it cost me nothing to check it out. The DSL part of the package is WAY better than my old ATT ADSL. Rock steady consistent speed. My olds POTS ADSL was up and down speed wise all over the place. So I kept the uverse optical fiber dsl and they even gave me a special deal on a speed upgrade (12mpbs) for my trouble.

Bottom line. DO NOT cancel dish before you've seen what Uverse looks like at your house. Could turn out to be an expensive mistake. But if you're inside that 4500 ft range of the VRAD, you'll likely find Uverse superior in terms of both picture and value. I wish it had worked out for me.

Good luck!:)
It's very rare that anyone ever says the PQ is better on U-Verse. In fact this may be the 1st I've read.

I'd say at least 9 out of 10 say it's worse. Every once in a great while will you hear otherwise.

Um, That used to be the case 5-6 years ago but not anymore. Most phone companies offer DSL/internet only options now. What phone company do you have?

Um, That used to be the case 5-6 years ago but not anymore. Most phone companies offer DSL/internet only options now. What phone company do you have?
My last post seemed mean. It was just a suggestion. I've paid promo DSL prices for the past few years AND got more for less. Just call billing, ask for the retention dept. Either say X comp any has the same promo price and you rather not cancel (which is true). If the FIRST CSR won't budge 9 / 10 they will, retry. I did this for the third time for somebody the other day. The first person said I had to be a new customer, while I had no problems the second time.

Thanks for everyones replies. I went to the ATT store that is down the street and checked out U-Verse tv. Didn't really care for the interface but the deal breaker was the picture quality. They had Direct TV running side by side with U-Verse and there was just no comparison. Local channels looked really poor. Am sticking with Dish!

Thanks for everyones replies. I went to the ATT store that is down the street and checked out U-Verse tv. Didn't really care for the interface but the deal breaker was the picture quality. They had Direct TV running side by side with U-Verse and there was just no comparison. Local channels looked really poor. Am sticking with Dish!

Good choice. I had U-verse TV for 7 months, couldn't stand the bad HD PQ, tiny and slow DVR, clunky featureless interface, fact that it would slow down my Internet, TV stream limit, etc. ... The list goes on and on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)