Should I find a DTV Tivo Receiver or get the R15

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruiserparts

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
The title pretty much sums it up. I have a few questions about getting a DTV receiver with Tivo built in or their R15 unit (with some other sort of DVR). What is the charge for the tivo vs non-tivo service? which do you recommend for a new install?

Everyone will have their own opinion, but, I like the DirecTivo's better than the R15. I have an R15 and 2 DirecTivo's currently and just do not like the functionailty vs. the Tivo's. The R15 is getting replaced for free from the link in the Free DVR threads.

The DVR service was $4.99 and is going up to $5.99 for all in March. All new customers activating a DVR are getting charged the $5.99 now.

Tonedeaf said:
Everyone will have their own opinion, but, I like the DirecTivo's better than the R15. I have an R15 and 2 DirecTivo's currently and just do not like the functionailty vs. the Tivo's. The R15 is getting replaced for free from the link in the Free DVR threads.

The DVR service was $4.99 and is going up to $5.99 for all in March. All new customers activating a DVR are getting charged the $5.99 now.

Thanks for clearing that up (the Tivo website suggests that Tivo is 12.95 month, so you can probably see my confusion). Do you think directtv will continue to support tivo even though they are phasing it out.

when you say the r15 is getting "replaced for free" what does that mean. Is it because the r15 is outdated or malfunctioning or what?

Thanks.

I am getting a DirecTivo from a deal DirecTV has(linked below) to replace my R15 because I personally do not like it. Not outdated(this is DirecTV own DVR came out in October) and is not defective. Just my preference.

There is a couple of threads where an existing customer can get a free 40 hour Tivo using the code provided in the threads.

LINK

DirecTV will continue to support the Tivo's for quite a few years. They still support UltimateTV boxes if that gives you any indication on the amount of time since those were out.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anime Network On Directv

SuperBowl in HD on DirecTV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)