should I purchase the protection plan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Thats A Winner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2008
I just had my service installed yesterday. I have three standard def DVR's and one HD DVR. The HD DVR worked for about an hour, then it quit. I called DirecTV and they are shipping me a new one out.

Here is the question: The installer asked me if I wanted the protection plan and I said "no". But that got me to thinking, why would I need a protection plan when I pay a lease fee? That's like buying insurance on a house that you rent. Are they not responsible for the equipment if it breaks down in a year or two?

And if the answer is "no, they are not responsible" then I would say that I need the plan because they are sure to fail at some point.

Advice is needed.
Thank you

I just had my service installed yesterday. I have three standard def DVR's and one HD DVR. The HD DVR worked for about an hour, then it quit. I called DirecTV and they are shipping me a new one out.

Here is the question: The installer asked me if I wanted the protection plan and I said "no". But that got me to thinking, why would I need a protection plan when I pay a lease fee? That's like buying insurance on a house that you rent. Are they not responsible for the equipment if it breaks down in a year or two?

And if the answer is "no, they are not responsible" then I would say that I need the plan because they are sure to fail at some point.

Advice is needed.
Thank you

You answered your own question. The boxes have a guaranty, I'm not sure how long. Then it is your responsibility to pay if something goes wrong. The protection plan also covers the installation, not just the equipment, IIRC.

Yes, the boxes have a warranty on them...what is not included in that warranty is what is covered by the protection plan.

The plan covers unlimited realignments of the dish if needed, plus it covers the cost of shipping you new receivers or the technician time to have them come out and fix the system.

Thanks guys. I called today and she told me 5.99/mo for the entire set up. I don't like wasting money, but in this case I think it may be worth it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts