Should I upgrade?

jhammons50

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Texas
I've had Dish for about 5 years, have a 622 that I never upgraded. I'm interested in the sling functionality, and with the sling adapter rebate I had decided to upgrade to the 722k so I could get the adapter rebate.

I was about to call yesterday to do this when I saw on here that they have announced the Hopper. This threw everything out of whack, so now I'm not sure what the best option is. Hearing about the Hopper I started thinking I should wait until it comes out and hope they make the 922's available for a no-cost upgrade, but then I read that the Hopper will need the Sling Adapter, which pushed me back toward the 722k/sling and see about a Hopper upgrade down the road. Currently we have 1 HD and 1 SD tv, and probably won't upgrade the 2nd tv to HD for at least a year.

How long do you typically have to wait between upgrades? Is there any kind of guess as to how long we'll have to wait from release until the Hopper is available for low/no cost upgrades? What's my best option?

I've had Dish for about 5 years, have a 622 that I never upgraded. I'm interested in the sling functionality, and with the sling adapter rebate I had decided to upgrade to the 722k so I could get the adapter rebate.

I was about to call yesterday to do this when I saw on here that they have announced the Hopper. This threw everything out of whack, so now I'm not sure what the best option is. Hearing about the Hopper I started thinking I should wait until it comes out and hope they make the 922's available for a no-cost upgrade, but then I read that the Hopper will need the Sling Adapter, which pushed me back toward the 722k/sling and see about a Hopper upgrade down the road. Currently we have 1 HD and 1 SD tv, and probably won't upgrade the 2nd tv to HD for at least a year.

How long do you typically have to wait between upgrades? Is there any kind of guess as to how long we'll have to wait from release until the Hopper is available for low/no cost upgrades? What's my best option?

Get the 722 now it is available!!!! You can upgrade every 12 months which is about when the hopper may be debugged so that it works correctly.

Currently you have to but the Sling Adapter for $99 and then use the $99 rebate. Soon Dish will have the Sling Adapter available for $29.99 straight up with no rebates.

I'd get the sling adapter now, and wait 2 - 3 weeks to hear if you can get a Hopper in the next few months. IMHO you really don't want a ViP922.

Currently you have to but the Sling Adapter for $99 and then use the $99 rebate. Soon Dish will have the Sling Adapter available for $29.99 straight up with no rebates.

Really? If that's the case I'm glad I waited on the Sling Adapter. With so many problems with Dish Online and Dish Remote Access, I didn't see any point in going through the hassle of paying $100 and then waiting for a rebate. I'd rather spend $30 without a rebate than spend $100 and hope the rebate arrives/works. If the Sling Adapter was more reliable, I might, but in it's current state, not worth it IMO.

3HaloODST said:
If the Sling Adapter was more reliable, I might, but in it's current state, not worth it IMO.

The sling adapter for me has been fine. Granted I don't use it much, but when I do it seems to be fine. I think dish online is much more reliable now too. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hi and :welcometo Sat Guys!! Qualified accounts can now upgrade as often as they want, as the limit has been removed. Each upgrade does require a 24 month agreement and Credit Card authorization for $1.00. The Hopper will be Sling Adapter compatible so that makes the Sling rebate a good deal at this time and it will expire on 1-31-12. The rebate process is the click of a button on your dishnetwork.com online account.

Since you do not have multiple HD TVs at this time, you really will not need the Hopper at this time and the ViP722 HD receiver will meet your needs for your current TVs. If you have any specific questions about your account, please PM me! Thank you!

Mary, I'm in the same boat as the OP, but I do have a second HDTV. What I want to know is that if there is a fee for upgrading from the 722 to the Hopper? I know there isn't a limit to the number of upgrades, but what type of fees (if any) do you expect if I upgrade from the 625 to the 722 now, and want to upgrade from the 722 to the Hopper when it comes out?

Thanks.

Mary, I'm in the same boat as the OP, but I do have a second HDTV. What I want to know is that if there is a fee for upgrading from the 722 to the Hopper? I know there isn't a limit to the number of upgrades, but what type of fees (if any) do you expect if I upgrade from the 625 to the 722 now, and want to upgrade from the 722 to the Hopper when it comes out?

Thanks.

Hi, Upgrading a 625 to a 722 receiver will not increase the monthly bill. They will both incur a $17.00 receiver fee, if you have more than one receiver active on your account. DISH Network has not released any information about pricing on the Hopper so I am unable to answer that question at this time. If you would like me to check fee on your specific account, please PM your information and I can advise what the upgrade would cost and what your monthly fee will be.

The only thing to upgrade to over the 722k is the 922. If you are serious about upgrading I would wait and get the Hopper. Not much benefit to upgrading to the 922 currently.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll go ahead and get the 722k now. The only question is if I should do the rebate, or wait for the price drop on the Sling Adapter. What are the requirements for the rebate? I have the AT120 package, I've seen references that you have to have AT200 or higher but haven't been able to find anything to confirm that. If I have to upgrade packages it'd be cheaper to just wait and spend the $30 outright.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll go ahead and get the 722k now. The only question is if I should do the rebate, or wait for the price drop on the Sling Adapter. What are the requirements for the rebate? I have the AT120 package, I've seen references that you have to have AT200 or higher but haven't been able to find anything to confirm that. If I have to upgrade packages it'd be cheaper to just wait and spend the $30 outright.
The programming requirement was removed after about the first month. You need to have a 722 active on your account. It needs to connected to the internet and you have to agree to receive marketing emails about promotions you can qualify for. After the rebate, the sling adapter will be at no cost or you can purchase one outright later. This is a very simple rebate to submit for and it is on your online account so it does not involve mailing anything in.

VERY STRONG SUGGESTION:
Go thru a local retailer if at all possible. Tell them you insist on the ViP722 "K" model. And be firm. Not belligerent, firm. I say this because Dish technically views the ViP622, ViP722 and ViP722K as all equivalent models. Regardless of who you use, go out and make sure the box to come inside is a K model, assuming there is a truck roll. If not, stop the procedure right then and there.

I hate dealing with rebates.

Same here. And to be honest, the rebate came in the form of a card marked "debit." No PIN code, though. I tried to use it at Safeway; no go. Only place that would process it (& as a credit card, no less) was Giant. So that's who got my business.

I also don't use my Sling adapter often, but it works well when I do. My only complaint is that when I'm done, it leaves the ViP722 ON. Slight complication when I later want to use my Harmony to start up the system. Not for me, but explaining it to my MiL........

VERY STRONG SUGGESTION:
Go thru a local retailer if at all possible. Tell them you insist on the ViP722 "K" model. And be firm. Not belligerent, firm. I say this because Dish technically views the ViP622, ViP722 and ViP722K as all equivalent models. Regardless of who you use, go out and make sure the box to come inside is a K model, assuming there is a truck roll. If not, stop the procedure right then and there.

I thought that if a customer orders the sling adapter & upgrade at the same time that Dish now makes sure that a 722 at least is sent out? I know it could still be either a 722 or a 722k but I thought that they had at least that much fixed. Correct me if I'm wrong though, although navy still has a point.

So the rebate is in the form of a debit card? Why not credit the dish account the 100?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)