Should my DVR menu say Dish Platinum or BlockBuster Movie Pass?

grecni

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
I just updated my 622 with a 722k. When I hit the DVR button the menu still says Dish Platinum while I thought that menu option should read BlockBuster Movie Pass. I do have access to Blockbuster Movie pass and have used it on-line and for DVDs. Dish tech support says that the menu should ready "Dish Platinum" but based on the threads I've read here I thought it was supposed to be BlockBuster Movie Pass and have different search options than the Dish Platinum menu.

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Thank you.

My 722 and 612 both updated one day after the relevant software arrived. I have no idea why it takes so long to switch the menu. You can still use it to stream (if you've got the firmware) regardless of the menu item name.

I just updated my 622 with a 722k. When I hit the DVR button the menu still says Dish Platinum while I thought that menu option should read BlockBuster Movie Pass. I do have access to Blockbuster Movie pass and have used it on-line and for DVDs. Dish tech support says that the menu should ready "Dish Platinum" but based on the threads I've read here I thought it was supposed to be BlockBuster Movie Pass and have different search options than the Dish Platinum menu.

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Thank you.

The DISH Platinum and Blockbuster Movie Pass are the same and you will have the same options regardless of how the name appears on your guide. There is a software update that will change the name. You new receiver has probably just not received the update yet.

There is a software update that will change the name.
You sure ? My receiver, and many of us here, were on L688 or L689 (don't recall anymore) and one day it read "Dish Platinum" and another day it read "Blockbuster Movie Pass". The s/w version did not change.

You sure ? My receiver, and many of us here, were on L688 or L689 (don't recall anymore) and one day it read "Dish Platinum" and another day it read "Blockbuster Movie Pass". The s/w version did not change.
I have had similar reports and when it changed on my 722 it did not change the software version either but the receiver was updated. There are still some receivers that did not update as well but the features are there for the Movie Pass, if they have the movie pass on their account. Accounts with the Free DISH Platinum package will not convert over to BBMP. They will continue to show the DISH Platinum with no changes in features at all.

I'm thinking the firmware has to be updated first, and then the menu item changes when the receiver "sees" some servers via a valid Internet connection. That's what I'm guessing. But something like that happened to my 722 and 612 both; they got the menu change overnight the day after they got the new firmware.

Accounts with the Free DISH Platinum package will not convert over to BBMP. They will continue to show the DISH Platinum with no changes in features at all.

Mary I don't think that is correct. (1) I have the anniversary Platinum, (2) my menus still changed and (3) I can stream just fine with all 3 receivers. I cannot, however, get any DVDs by mail.

I was told by a Dish rep that MoviePass will show as Platinum on my 622. They are the same. I was promised a 90 day Free Trial but it never materialized so I dumped MoviePass.

Mary,

Really? So Blockbuster Movie Pass on Dish is a mix of old free movies and new movies that we have to pay for? It is supposed to be free streaming for my extra fee. And the selection is miniscule, if not ridiculous?

So lets do this - use the 622 (Dish Platinum) to find all HD 3 star+ moves since 2000. There are 44. Is this really Blockbuster Movies Pass? 44 decent movies in the last 11 years? Really?

Let's do this then - online from the Blockbuster front page I can stream True Grit, 127 Hours, Tangled, The Social Network, Hereafter, and The Roommate. Which of these are in the 44 above? Only 1 - Tangled. So, widen the critic rating to "all" and there are 80 movies. Luckily, now True Grit, The Social Network, and The Roommate now show up in the 80. So apparently the critic rating will be useless, as True Grit and The Social Network were both highly rated, not sure about The Roommate.

So you are telling me that Dish Platinum is the same as BlockBuster Movie Pass. So Blockbuster Movie Pass on the box has only 80 HD videos available for the last 11 years? Has a bunch of movies available online that are not available on the box? Also a bunch of movies on the box I have to pay for? Sorting by critic rating is ineffective? And there is no way to search by title?

If this is Blockbuster Movie Pass on the 622 - 100% for sure, no changes coming - tell me now so that I can drop it pronto and save my money!

Accounts with the Free DISH Platinum package will not convert over to BBMP. They will continue to show the DISH Platinum with no changes in features at all.
What's that called on the billing side, "HD 200 Free ($10/Mo)" ? If so, my receiver does say "Blockbuster Movie Pass".

I think its a big mess no offense to any of the dirt members.The bbmp is definitely not ready for prime time.As to which receiver gets bbmp or dish platinum its basically a crap shoot.Got a 722 with latest s/w its shows bbmp,doesn't work worth a hoot,every show or movie that we rent/download whatever they call it atm magically disappears every night when the receiver updates.Recently our 612 was updated which was supposed to be for the bbmp,well it still says dish platinum.Honestly the 612 does better than the 722 for streaming content.There is also the midnight lounge option the 722 reports not available in our area the 612 allows to access it just fine.We don't subscribe to bbmp and have the anniversary platinum.So no clue why the 722 says bbmp and the 612 says platinum.One more thing the 612 so far does retain any streaming rentals.imho dish s/w engineers have a lot of work to do to get this thing fixed.Forgot to mention that the 722 is hard wired and the 612 is wifi.wifi working better than hard wired?Something ain't right lol

Mary I don't think that is correct. (1) I have the anniversary Platinum, (2) my menus still changed and (3) I can stream just fine with all 3 receivers. I cannot, however, get any DVDs by mail.

You are correct. The name will change on all receivers as DISH Platinum is now BlockBuster Movie Pass.

Mary,

Really? So Blockbuster Movie Pass on Dish is a mix of old free movies and new movies that we have to pay for? It is supposed to be free streaming for my extra fee. And the selection is miniscule, if not ridiculous?

So lets do this - use the 622 (Dish Platinum) to find all HD 3 star+ moves since 2000. There are 44. Is this really Blockbuster Movies Pass? 44 decent movies in the last 11 years? Really?

Let's do this then - online from the Blockbuster front page I can stream True Grit, 127 Hours, Tangled, The Social Network, Hereafter, and The Roommate. Which of these are in the 44 above? Only 1 - Tangled. So, widen the critic rating to "all" and there are 80 movies. Luckily, now True Grit, The Social Network, and The Roommate now show up in the 80. So apparently the critic rating will be useless, as True Grit and The Social Network were both highly rated, not sure about The Roommate.

So you are telling me that Dish Platinum is the same as BlockBuster Movie Pass. So Blockbuster Movie Pass on the box has only 80 HD videos available for the last 11 years? Has a bunch of movies available online that are not available on the box? Also a bunch of movies on the box I have to pay for? Sorting by critic rating is ineffective? And there is no way to search by title?

If this is Blockbuster Movie Pass on the 622 - 100% for sure, no changes coming - tell me now so that I can drop it pronto and save my money!

Blockbuster Movie Pass on the receiver is exactly what it was when it was DISH Platinum, only the name has changed. DISH Online does give you more content to stream online than is available over the receiver. The Blockbuster Movie Pass has integrated the Blockbuster by Mail Service which was $10.99 a month and DISH Platinum which was $10.00 a month and combined the services for a single $10.00 a month charge. The BlockBuster Movie Pass is a new service and DISH Network will continue to improve upon the service and features.

What's that called on the billing side, "HD 200 Free ($10/Mo)" ? If so, my receiver does say "Blockbuster Movie Pass".

On the Billing side it is shown as "Movie Pass" & then additional charges such as Movie Pass 2nd Disc or 3rd Disc accordingly.

According to what you said, my receiver should read "Dish Cinema" still then, yes ?
No, on the 722k with current software, it should not show DISH Cinema. If this is what is on your receiver, please let me know and I will need to report this issue. Thank you!

I have Movie Pass and have even gotten a movie delivered to my house but I stlll have Platinum on my 622 and not BBMP. Also can't figure out how to stream on TV allthough have streamed on the computer and that works great. Help!

Just set up the download, go back into My Rentals, select the movie and play it. This is not exactly "streamed", but it's close.

Just checked this out. Filtered on HD + 3 stars (does anyone watch SD anymore?). Total of 44 titles available. $10/Month for access to 44 titles? I've always been willing to pay for every feature but this better get better fast or I'll be dropping out. Ridiculous.

Mine also says DISH Cinema on our brand new 722k.
How new is the receiver and can you please tell what Software version you have? You may just need to wait till the receiver does a nightly update to get the new software, but please let me know, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts