Should You Buy Voom?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Swann, I predict that you will be wrong.... :)

Source

The HDTV-friendly satellite service is struggling, but it might still be worth a try.

By Phillip Swann

Washington, DC (April 30) -- Voom, the satellite TV service from Cablevision, reported in March that it had signed up just 1,627 subscribers. Considering that the service launched in October, the numbers do not bode well for Voom's future.

At the time, I wrote an analysis explaining why Voom is doomed. Despite an impressive lineup of High-Definition TV channels, I don't believe the service can ultimately compete with dish mainstays, DIRECTV and EchoStar.

However, since my analysis was published, I have been asked frequently by HDTV owners whether they should sign up for Voom. Afterall, the satellite service does offer two to three times as many high-def channels as any cable or satellite operator.

Many HDTV owners are nervous that Voom may not be around for the long haul. I think that's a legitimate concern. What if Voom goes out of business? The prospect of having to replace Voom with another dish in the next year or two is hardly enticing.

However, if you're an HDTV owner, I wouldn't let Voom's long-term chances stop you from getting the service. Voom now offers the best lineup of HDTV channels in the world. That is an undisputable fact. The cable and satellite operators provide from 10-15 HDTV channels; Voom has more than 30. So, if you want to get the most from your high-def TV, Voom is your best choice.

In addition, even if Voom fails, the odds are good that it will be acquired by DIRECTV or EchoStar. So, consequently, your TV service would continue uninterrupted under another company. You would likely have to get another dish and receiver, but the new owner would provide that to you at little or no cost.

Finally, Voom currently has a free start-up offer for new customers. The only charge is the $9.50 per month rental for the receiver (in addition to the programming costs, of course.). So, you have little to lose by giving Voom a try.

I don't believe Voom will succeed. But I do believe that HDTV owners should give it a look.

Initially I had the same concerns about the company not making it for the long haul; however, slowly but surely over the last few months I came around to a point where I went ahead and ordered VOOM. I'm just not convinced that E* or D* is anywhere close to having the amount of HD content that VOOM has. It's only a matter of time before VOOM matches E* and D* on all the other stuff (the stuff that matters at least). I wanted an HD centric content provider, and VOOM delivers that. If they keep the 0 dollar upfront deal around for a while they will bring in a lot of new customers.

I think Voom will make it and the idiot Phillip Swann is preparing to reverse his opinion. This is step one. Still trying to find the 10-15 HD channels on D* though lmao. I think I only got SHO, HBO, HDNET, HDNET movies, DISC and espnhd. 6 HD channels and 2 were plus paks. No matter how much I hate that Jack A$$ the best thing voom could do is give him a 3 or 4 month free subscription. LMAO

Can't stand this moron......

Here is an email that i sent our buddy Phil and his response followed be my response to him.....

Hello,

I just wanted to make you aware that as of this morning, VOOM now has the full suite of ESPN channels including ESPNHD. Also are you aware that VOOM will be using Microsoft codec that will allow them to double the SD and nearly double the HD capacity in a few months? They issued a release on this about a month ago.

Thanks,
Sean

From: Enhancedtv2000@aol.com [mailto:Enhancedtv2000@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 11:30 AM
To: sbureau
Subject: Re: VOOM is worth a try

Thanks, Sean. In theory, they could have 200 HD channels and still fail. Their greatest challenge is that they are late to the game (satellite: DIRECTV, Echo, etc. )
Phil

Phillip Swann
President & Publisher, TV Predictions.com
& 'Swanni Sez,' the TV Predictions e-mail newsletter.
Author, "TV dot COM: The Future of Interactive Television"
703-979-2079

Sure, they may be late to the game for Standard DBS service but they are the best in the HDTV niche at this point, and that niche will only continue to grow. How long will it take for DISH and DTV to catch up? They don't have the capacity to even come close to what VOOM has now. They also don't have an easy path in upgrading compression technologies to increase their capacity using MPEG 2 or MPEG 4 or whatever they use. Voom has the advantage as they do not have to foot the bill for a few million new set top boxes in order to move to the new technology. It has already been built into the current STB and will be upgrade via a simple add in card that the user can install. Also i am not sure if you are aware of the spin off that cablevision is in the process of planning.

Your article's are full of hole's and really pure speculation, perhaps you should do a little more research and present more facts and less opinion? You would serve your readers better that way. Also, why do you continue to use the 1600 number that is 2 months old. Here is a hint, cablevision reports Q1 earnings on May 15th, perhaps then you could pay attention and get some facts that would be useful instead of old news that you keep reprinting.

Sean

VOOM needs to just keep plugging, until they are the defacto standard for HD. Kind of like Monster when it comes to cable. If you want quality HD you go to VOOM. They may never compete with the K-Mart mentality of a Dish Network, but they don't need to.

Take a look at Apple Computers, they do ok because they are innovative and they have a devoted following. VOOM is in much better shape then a company like Apple. Really VOOM needs to get some sort of deal set up with a Best Buy or Circuit City. Perhaps even package in a free VOOM install and eqiupment when you purchase certain HD TV's. People need to associate VOOM with HD....period.

a reply from the Swan....

Sean,
I've gone from zero to 8,200 newsletter subscribers in two years because of my analysis. Plus, 16,000 weekly readers at TVPredictions.com. I must be doing something right.

Phillip Swann
President & Publisher, TV Predictions.com
& 'Swanni Sez,' the TV Predictions e-mail newsletter.
Author, "TV dot COM: The Future of Interactive Television"
703-979-2079

Well Swan I just signed up today for May 10th add that to your statistic's ! Come on *V kick *d & E's Butt !

Mr. Swann's whole "late in the game" theory proves that he's as ignorant as his statements on VOOM. Given the current small amount of HD subscribers that D*, and E* say they have when compared to their "regular" tv viewing crowd, and given the small amount of HD they currently provide to these folks,(including me). He should know that there are many HD enthusiests,(like me) who are looking elsewhere for more HD. HD is just coming to the masses with lower priced HDTV's on the market, and more and more people are just now starting to make choices on their providers based on how much HD they offer. It is happening *NOW*! This wasn't the case 2 years ago, when most folks were pretty content with having as many SD channels as they possibly could, because let's face it, not all of us could afford that HD tv, and SD looked just fine on a regular TV. Now Let's take a look at what the 2 big sat providers have in terms of HD programming, 6 maybe 7 HD channels including an HD PPV channel? And what does VOOM have to offer in terms of HD? Sure the other 2 giants are claiming to add more HD channels soon, but will it be enough to attract new customers, or keep existing HD customers from moving to VOOM? If he does the math right he would see that it all adds up to VOOM having some staying power! Late in the game my a$$! The HD revolution is happening *now*, people are weighing their options *now*, and VOOM is a mighty impressive option!

This is complete and udder hogwash. Let's see... Voom as only subscribed a little over 1600 people. That's damn impressive to me...

I mean think about it. Voom hasn't exactly been on the pushing their service very well have they. About the only people that paid attention to it were people who know the Satellite and cable market. High end technophiles (for lack of a better word). That by itself is a small group of people. Voom is still testing the waters... otherwise why would they have just started charging people for service in Febuary?

Once they lock down more programming... and through all their money into advertising... like Directv... we'll see where Dishtv is then. Cablevision rakes in close to $4 billion a year... What they can't spend some of that on Voom? How much does Echostar make?