Should you upconvert all DTS, DD 5.1 to THX 7.1 if you can ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DJanis

Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Suburb of Chicago
This is a best practices question....

I use an Onkyo 989ver2 THX Ultra certified receiver to drive my Jamo 7.1 THX Ultra surround set-up with two 400w subs and I was wondering what the best practice is (or if it's just preference) for processing DTS and DD signals. Should you always reproduce the soundtrack in it's original format ?? or, upconvert it to THX 7.1 to take advantage of your (my) setup ??

There is obviously lower volume output with THX due to the break-out of the extra two channels which is noticable, but the all around clarity of each of the channels seems to be better with the THX setting than with DTS or DD (especially the center channel dialogue channel).

Anybody have any experience with this situation ??

Take advantage of your setup. I don't believe your unit has PLIIx, in which case I would use THX ultra 2 cinema mode for all sources except unflagged DD-EX movies. In the case of unflagged DD-EX sources switch to the THX surround EX setting.

There should also be a THX ultra 2 music mode for music sources.

The native audio format is always the best way to go. When you up-convert you are adding and detracting from the original. It is much better to listen in the manner that the recording engineer designed, you will get the best sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)