Signal Bleed with Lifetime Classic NA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dougbrown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Southern WI
I had finally been able to tune in my first FTA Ku Sat, 87w. :)
I was happy because of the problems I thought I had put behind me. So I tried to swing over to the NBC news channel on 103w, but all I could scan in there were the C-band transponders, even though they were showing up at H-11814 or other such frequencies, they were definitly the C-band feeds. Now I know that my Ku LNB is working as I was able to scan in the feeds on 87w. And I know my Disceq switch is working because I was able to go between C-band and Ku at 87w. But it seems that the signal is bleeding through some where:(:confused:
Any one have any ideas?
I take one step forward and two steps back.

First, are you sure you have the switching information and local oscillator frequencies programmed right for that particular satellite? When the signal comes from the LNB to the receiver, it's in L-band, and the receiver adds the local oscillator frequency of your LNB to it in order to display the frequency of the transponder.

Second, NBC channel? Do you mean a permanent one, not a backhaul? When I was on 103W Ku a few weeks ago, there was no such thing in DVB-S. There's one in DVB-S2, but you're not going to get that with your Fortec. (You may have seen old information saying that there was one in DVB-S, but it was 4:2:2 video, which you wouldn't have got with your Fortec either.)

There are some feeds on 103W that are KU but they are in the 12000 area horizontal polarity

make sure the diseqc settings are right. You will need to change them to the proper one for each satellite

Yes, The diseqc for the Ku LNB on the co-rotor is set to port 1. Many of the HD feeds show up on the Fortec, just not usable. I'm looking for some strong signals on or very close to my already programmed sats just to get some of the ku "dialed in" . But the old Radio Shack in the back yard isn't exactly the most graceful in the wind. and sometimes skips a count or two. This is the first Ku I've attempted since 4DTV turned off (their ku). But I found out something else, on 87w I had the LNB Power turned on on the Fortec, even thought the LNB is powered by the 922 and power blocking splitter is in place.
When I was on 103w the Fortec had the LNB power off, when I turned the power on, I was able to tune in this very crappy infomercial that I'm pretty sure was on Ku, I say this because because it was a bear to get tuned in. I had to fine tune the position and skew until it came in clear.
I have not been able to experiment further, but is it possible that by turning on the LNB power it balanced some voltage difference somewhere?

A year or two ago, there was a member who had interference to his KU reception on a Ku dish, but only when his C-band dish was on a particular bird.
He had a heck of a time recognizing the combination of situations that caused the problem, as you can imagine.
What he had, was feed-through in his diseqc(?) switch, as I recall.
To test that possibility, you could pull the C-band signal from your switch, but do be careful to do it while you are powered down, so as not to blow out the diseqc.

And, a drawing or clear description of your wiring may be helpful, too.

Some cheap switches allow a lot of bleed through if both ports are powered externally, which is usually the case when you're trying to view C and Ku from a BUD powered from an analog receiver.
I once tried using a 22KHz switch to switch between C and Ku, when the Ku was powered through the switch, but the C was powered by an analog receiver. Basically, I could view C band, since the Ku didn't produce any interferrence when it wasn't selected, but I couldn't watch ANY Ku, since C band leaked through and wiped out the Ku, since it was always powered.
Years ago, I did the same thing with a slightly higer quality DiseqC switch, and there was no problem with leak through. So I'm guessing that you just need a higher quality switch.

Anole, I have the Fortec going to a Chieta 4 port Diseqc, I have my C-band LNB on port 4 and the Ku on port 1. Outside I have the Radio Shack H2H with a corotor 2, The LNB's are both ebay specials, the c-band pulls a good signal across the arc. But these have been the first Ku I've been able to pull with the Fortec. The 922 used to work pretty well with Ku as well. I occurs to me if I have the focal length set properly on the corotor? I haven't peaked things for years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)