Signal dropped due to painters!

blitzpb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
My signal strength dropped to 70 after we had the roof of our house painted (I assume that someone knocked into one of the antennae). Can I readjust this myself or do I need to have a tech come out a do it for me?

Thanks,

Nick

Is it satellite, or OTA antenna?
You might be able to do it yourself if you are not afraid of climbing to the roof. In the Installation wizard select the corresponding menu item (something like "Tune satellite") and it will show signal readings and will give you audible signal that you might be able to hear through the window. Or better have someone read the signal numbers to you over a wireless phone.

The way I tune my dish is I take my old Commodore monitor up on the roof with me so I can see the signal strength. I just run a loooooong composite cable from the receiver. Works great. Walkie talkies work well also if you have someone willing to help you.

I dont have a problem climbing on the roof. How do I know if its OTA or Sat? Do I just tweak it slightly around until I get a good signal?

Thanks for the help!

Nick

If the sat channels are weak, it's a sat issue, if the ota signals are weak, it's your antenna. You can turn up the volume on your tv and listen to the annoying squeal but the best way is to have someone help you so they can look at the actual strength bar. You want to try and get it to turn green, I think this happens when you pass around 94% strength.

I did the "installation guide" portion of the setup screen. I was only able to pull 82-83 off the satellite. Is this enough or do I need to do some more tweaking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Nick

You need to try and get more of a signal. You will experience picture breakup at those numbers. And your picture will drop off sooner in the rain.

Bob

blitzpb said:
I did the "installation guide" portion of the setup screen. I was only able to pull 82-83 off the satellite. Is this enough or do I need to do some more tweaking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Nick
Nick, on a clear day you should be able to dial in 96. It's very touchy and if you have a 24" dish, it's even more sensitive, just a bump can throw it off by several numbers.

Just a little update. I couldnt get the signal to be anything better than 82 so I called Voom and set up an appt. The guy who came out this time told me that the original installer didnt have the satellite mounted in the right place! The original installer took off the DN dish and put the new voom dish in the same spot. Apparantly, this was the wrong place. Now I am enjoying a minimum of 96 all day long!!! So nice.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts