signal in Central America

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keelobight

Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
USA
I'm taking my RV on a trek through central america and I'm wondering if anyone has actually set up around costa rica or nicaraga? I'm got an AU9 slimline and a basic 18" 101 dish in my RV that I set up on a tripod. I read I would need a 6m dish down there but that seems a little extreme. Has anyone else tried and failed/succeeded?

I'd be willing to bet not many of us have RV'd down to Nicaragua or Costa Rica to begin with! :) But ... you'd think that because the birds will still be south of where you'll be, I don't think you'll be within the footprint of signal. Check it out.

KVH Satellite Footprint Maps - TracVision

Plus, I'm not even sure of the legality of it since you'll be outside of the US.

Yeah I know I've seen all the maps and done research, I'm just hoping to hear from someone that has actually tried it in the real world.

Yeah I know I've seen all the maps and done research, I'm just hoping to hear from someone that has actually tried it in the real world.

Extremely unlikely... I have heard of people receiving signal in Cabo with a larger dish BUT you're about 10 degrees further south. Good LUCK!:cool:

Iceberg is right,

Some years back there used to a website about getting DirecTV in Central / Northern South America. I remember that on the website, they used locally made 8 or 10 ft fiberglass dishes with DirecTV or Dish LNB's to get a signal. This was before the Mpeg-4 equipment / satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)