signal issues with dish1000

nickyt

Original poster
May 14, 2007
I am having issues picking up both 110 and 119 satellites with the Dish1000 dish (not even bothering with the 129 LNB). I am not using any kind of a switch. I live in Los Angeles, and am able to get a signal quality of about 85-90 on the 119 satellite. However at that location, my 110 signal fluctuates anywhere from 0 to about 40. It fluctuates too much to have a useable 110 signal. I was wondering what kind of singal strength I should expect in Los Angeles? At the 119 quality I have, should my 110 quality be better? Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

you forgot to set skew...if you leave it at 90, you will not receive full signal from adjacent slots...instructions with dish include a settings table

The signal level that you get depends on which receiver you're using to measure. Some receivers have a 125 scale while others have a 100 scale. Drop-out usually happens at about 1/3rd scale.

If you're trying to install yourself, you now know why Dish offers to do it for free with a qualifying receiver upgrade. Trying to hit three distinct targets at over 22,000 miles away isn't a cake walk.

I am having issues picking up both 110 and 119 satellites with the Dish1000 dish (not even bothering with the 129 LNB). I am not using any kind of a switch. I live in Los Angeles, and am able to get a signal quality of about 85-90 on the 119 satellite. However at that location, my 110 signal fluctuates anywhere from 0 to about 40. It fluctuates too much to have a useable 110 signal. I was wondering what kind of singal strength I should expect in Los Angeles? At the 119 quality I have, should my 110 quality be better? Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

No problem...

1. CRITICAL --- Make absolutely sure your mount is 100% plumb on N/S and E/W axis
2. Adjust skew and elevation to your location according to the manual. NEVER adjust skew from there.
3. Adjust azimuth and find 119. Peak it on azimuth. Lock AZ.
4. Peak 119 on elevation. Lock EL.
5. 110 (and 129) will be coming in at this point fairly strong. Adjust azimuth very slightly if 119/110 are too unbalanced.

If you skip step 1 you can hang it up... gotta make sure it's 100% plumb so you can maximize reception for the 3 sats. Otherwise pointing deviations start to accumulate and make correct aiming miserable and extremely frustrating.

Good luck.

Well, if you are really desperate: I have noticed since the first day I installed it, the DPP44 switch improved my signal strength up to 20 points! The rather lackluster signal strength I was getting at my 721 from my DP34 shot up dramatically with the DPP44, and the far STB in the back room that was reading in the 70's is now comfortable in the 90's. All of the boxes connected to the DPP44 now have very good (high) signal strength readings. And the infamous 110 Tp. 3 that reads as low at 40's and 50's at other homes (and will pixel at those locations) reads a nice 73 at my house connected to the DPP44. I should add that I too am in the Los Angeles area.
Best of Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)