Signal Loss

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pooch63

Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Point Roberts, WA
Hi there, I'm hoping you can help me out. My zip code is 98281 and I recently replaced the LNB on our slimline because we lost signal (error 771). I removed the dish and started fresh and I am having trouble getting a proper signal now. I managed to get 74 on satellite 101 but I'm not getting any signal on any other satellites. We were able to get picture on ESPN (206) and HBO (501) and a select few other channels but nothing else. Have I locked on to the wrong satellite? I don't have a signal meter other than the one in the receiver.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Pooch63!

A 771 error code can have several causes. Some are easy fixes, some more difficult. Unfortunately you tried the most difficult one first! :eek:
Did you remove only the lnb or the entire dish? Hopefully only the lnb. Did you check all of the connections between the dish and the receiver/dvr?
Could there be a tree branch or other obstruction in the signal path from the satellite? What are your signal strengths on all of the satellites?

On the Point eh?

There is a batch of reverse band LNBs that sit slightly different and require adjustment of the dish after install.

It sounds like some additional adjustment may be needed.

On the Point eh?

There is a batch of reverse band LNBs that sit slightly different and require adjustment of the dish after install.

Could be, but he didn't say he replaced his old lnb with a reverse band type.

Reactions: cinsu
:welcome to Satelliteguys Pooch63!

A 771 error code can have several causes. Some are easy fixes, some more difficult. Unfortunately you tried the most difficult one first! :eek:
Did you remove only the lnb or the entire dish? Hopefully only the lnb. Did you check all of the connections between the dish and the receiver/dvr?
Could there be a tree branch or other obstruction in the signal path from the satellite? What are your signal strengths on all of the satellites?

Thanks for the reply. My LNB actually was the problem it was filled with rain water and completely rusted out inside. I left the mast attached to the house and removed the entire dish. I replaced the dish with new LNB and have been trying to get it set up again. When I initially put it back up, all channels worked for a short time and then I started getting the 771 code again. I trimmed the tree that possibly could have been causing obstruction.
I am going to take your advice and check the connections to the DVR.
I'm now on the receiver that is downstairs and I am getting the following signal readings:
satellite 101; All transponders have signals ranging from 72 - 92 with the exception of the following transponders on 101; trans 4 - not acquired, 12 - not acquired, 20 not acquired, 26 - not acquired
satellite 110: trans 8 - 24%, trans 10 - 31%, trans 12 - not acquired
satellite 119; trans 22 - 88%, trans 23 - not acquired, trans 24 - 91%, trans 25 - not acquired, trans 26 - 91%, trans 27 - 96%, trans 28 - 90%, trans 29 - not acquired, trans 30 - 91%, trans 31 - 82%, trans 32 - 91%,
Satellite 99(ca); trans 9 - 23%, trans 10 - not acquired, trans 11 - 25%, trans 12 - not acquired, trans 13 - 25%, trans 14 - not acquired
satellite 99(cb); trans 1 - 30%, trans 2 - 23%, trans 3 - 24%,
satellite 99(s); not acquired
satellite 103(s) - not acquired
satellite 103(ca) - trans 9 - 40%, trans 10 - 28%, trans 11 - 33%, trans 12 - not acquired, trans 13 - 27%, trans 14 - not acquired, trans 15 - 27%, trans 16 - not acquired, trans 17 - 33%, trans 18 - not acquired, trans 19 - 31%
satellite 103(cb); trans 1 - 56%, trans 2 - 49%, trans 3 - 50%, trans 4 - 43%, trans 5 - 53%, trans 6 - 51%, trans 7 - 51%, trans 8 - 46%

Any ideas?

On the Point eh?

Haha, yes on "the Point", and actually very close to the border... I'm actually getting better signal today and getting glimpses of more channels but very weak signal and they run intermittently. I'm thinking adjustments need to be made but can't seem to get better signal

Check the settings on the dish for elevation and skew (tilt) and set the new dish the same. You may have witness marks on the old mast to help get the azimuth about right. Leave the dish tight enough to be stable, but loose enough to move. Check your signal levels and if necessary, move the dish slightly in one direction, allowing 15 or so seconds any changes to register on the signal strength screen. By moving a little at a time you should see improvement at some point. When you get it as best as you can, it's time to dither the dish. I recommend watching a youtube video to see how to go about that. It's basically fine tuning the alignment with the black knobs.

So, I took your advice and checked connections. I actually switched receivers and one of my receivers is getting better signal on more satellites and getting more channels so I'm going to try to make adjustments on the dish using the receiver that seems to be working better.

Check the settings on the dish for elevation and skew (tilt) and set the new dish the same. You may have witness marks on the old mast to help get the azimuth about right. Leave the dish tight enough to be stable, but loose enough to move. Check your signal levels and if necessary, move the dish slightly in one direction, allowing 15 or so seconds any changes to register on the signal strength screen. By moving a little at a time you should see improvement at some point. When you get it as best as you can, it's time to dither the dish. I recommend watching a youtube video to see how to go about that. It's basically fine tuning the alignment with the black knobs.

Thanks for the tips. Which satellite should I be testing on for best results on all satellites? 101, 110, ......?

You point at the 101 and make the first adjustments there. If the skew is right, then 110 and 119 should be good. Then you work on 99ca/cb and 103ca/cb. BTW, most but not all of the transponders on 101 are national and you should get in the mid to high 90s, but 119 is used for spot beams so most transponders will be low. Your local sd channels, assuming you get them from Seattle, are on 101 transponder 18. Your hd channels are on 99s transponders 16 and 20. The other ones on 99s don't matter to you. 103s isn't important for aligning the dish either.

Reactions: cinsu
You point at the 101 and make the first adjustments there. If the skew is right, then 110 and 119 should be good. Then you work on 99ca/cb and 103ca/cb. BTW, most but not all of the transponders on 101 are national and you should get in the mid to high 90s, but 119 is used for spot beams so most transponders will be low. Your local sd channels, assuming you get them from Seattle, are on 101 transponder 18. Your hd channels are on 99s transponders 16 and 20. The other ones on 99s don't matter to you. 103s isn't important for aligning the dish either.

That's great info Chip, thanks! I'm going to go make some adjustments and hopefully it will be all good in time for the Gophers game!!!

Best of luck. It can be tricky, but perseverance is your friend! It helps to have someone watching the signal strength screen while you make the adjustments.

By the way, just for a general reference/starting point, the aiming of your dish should be at 135* Azimuth, 31* Elevation, and 108* Tilt.
(*= degrees) and according to my installation meter those settings do not change between the regular SL3 LNB vs a reverse band LNB ;)

By the way, just for a general reference/starting point, the aiming of your dish should be at 135* Azimuth, 31* Elevation, and 108* Tilt.
(*= degrees) and according to my installation meter those settings do not change between the regular SL3 LNB vs a reverse band LNB ;)
If you hold down the alt key, then enter 0176 you will get the degree symbol. °

How about for an SL5? No change just replace with Reverse Band LNB?

changing the LNB from an SL3 or an SL5 to a reverse band LNB does not change the needed alignment. If you are careful, you can swap the LNB without realigning the dish.

Good info.

With one correction ...

While it is true that all English programming today on 119 are comprised of SD locals on spotbeams.

It is not true that the satellite there is only "used for spotbeams so most tps. will be low."

The 119W satellite (or "D7S") has seven CONUS beam tps., which should read in the 90s to sometimes 100.

Tps. 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, and 32.

Its four spotbeam tps., 23, 25, 29, and 31, may read low to 0 for the OP however.

Reactions: ejb1980
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)