Signal mystery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WisconsinMad

Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Janesville, Wisconsin
So I got a question for you guys. We are setting up a new 75E dish On an existing account. We have the skill and elevation set to working settings from other accounts in the area. We hooked up a receiver from a working account to our system and cannot get a valid signal. When we disconnected CO ax cable the signal meter continues to show a fluctuating signal which does not make any sense to me. We get the same results from receivers that are tied to the account that we are setting up. Any ideas

The on screen signal meter for Shaw receivers will typically show a base reading of I believe 10% if the coax is hooked up to the LNB. The 10% indicates the LNB is getting power over the coax. As to the fluctuating meter if the coax is disconnected. I have seen this even if you set a 630 or 830 to single tuner mode. The meter will occasionally bounce around on the second tuner even though it should be "quiet", this seems to be normal . If the working receiver is not getting a steady 10% reading when hooked up to the dish then there is probably a cable or connector issue and the LNB is not getting power. If you are getting anything above that then it is an alignment issue. If the dish is completely misaligned you will probably need to move it a lot until you see it jump to something over 50%. From there it is a matter of making fine(r) adjustments to get things peaked.

As a rule if you get a fairly steady 10% you have connectivity between the receiver and LNB. The 10% is from memory it may be as high as 20. If you have no coax or connection to the LNB the signal meter should not be constant and may jump sporadically from zero to 30 plus or minus.
If you start to get above 50% you are in the vicinity of the satellite.
As you slowly move the dish on the mast the signal should improve assuming you have the skew set properly for your location

Shaw Direct can be finicky to align. If your dish is not mounted high having a tv temporarily hooked up close to the dish can save a lot of time. Either that of have a second person to relay what the signal level is as you make small adjustments. The 800 may have a faster response but generally you need to move the dish in small/micro increments and wait a moment to see how the on screen meter responds especially if you are peaking the dish.

Your mast needs to absolutely plumb and the skew and look angle need to accurate for your location. After that you can swing the dish until you start to get a signal. Good luck.

Thanks for that I didn't know it was bouncing from 50 to 80. I am at a loss to explain your situation unless you have an obstruction that is blowing in the sight line of your dish.

Again, that's what is confusing. The receiver shows signal bouncing from 50 to 80 With the cable hooked up and whether disconnected.
If having the cable connected or disconnected doesn't change the signal meter readings then you're cable is likely damaged (open, shorted or improperly terminated).

In future, you should note which end of the cable you're disconnecting: the LNB end or the receiver end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)