Signal Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joel V

Original poster
May 1, 2013
RGV
I recently moved and, since there is decent chance that I will have to move again in the near future, I decided to forego the Home Move package and hired a tech on the side to hook up my Slimline Swm dish. Everything was fine for about six weeks, and then my signal strength started to fade. At first it was a handful of channels, and has finally progressed to where I cannot view anything. When I tried to call the tech back out, his phone was disconnected. :mad: So, I decided to try and learn how to fix the problem myself. First, I got up on the roof and took a look. The lag bolts used to anchor the dish were loose, so I tightened those down. It actually made the signal marginally worse. After reading up and watching Youtube videos, I went to dishpointer.com and DirecTV's own dishpointer tool and determined that the dish elevation is supposed to be between 58.3 and 59.1. It was actually set at about 40. When I moved to the prescribed settings, all signal was lost. Before I changed elevations, I was getting 50-70 tp strength on 101 (It was actually in the 90's when the problems first started to creep up). My question is, should I go about changing the rough azimuth at the recommended elevation, or should I go back to 40 and dither around from there?

First off :welcome to Satelliteguys!

Check the mast and make sure it's plumb, this is very important! Before you adjust anything, check the cables and connections to be sure everything is right. A loose connector can be the cause. As to the elevation setting, you may have been looking at the wrong spot. The numbers couldn't be that far off and still get a signal. What were you using to determine where the dish was set to? What is your zip code? Elevation numbers that high would put you in the deep south.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. The dish arm is plumb, just climbed back up there and checked. I moved the elevation back to where it was at, and no signal at all. Are you talking about where the coax is hooked up the LNB? I was using the midpoint of the set bolt as my marker for elevation. The markings on the dish range from 20 to 60. Zip is 78562

I mean all of the connections, any loose one could be the cause. How about a zip code?

When using dishpointer.com make sure you select the correct multisat for your dish/LNB type.
As mentioned above the mast MUST be plumb, then set the skew, and then elevation, and finally the azimuth.
Once you get a signal then you go through the dithering of the adjustments to fine tune the alignment.
This part can be very frustrating, or so I'm told as I've never done it.

Another thing, I watched the video from Solidsignal, but it doesn't look like my dish has a finetuner for elevation.:confused:

78562. It was in an edit of the other post. After looking closely at it again, it appears that the fine tune knob for elevation is missing. Is it possible to purchase a replacement?

I figured you must be that far south with an elevation that high.

This is what an elevation of 34 looks like on the scale.
Does yours look the same, except the setting of course!

Elevation setting.jpg

A mistake that can happen is that you use the center of the elevation nut aligned with the number.
That's wrong, you need to use the edge of the square washer.

I guess the real question now is if I will be able to fix this now without calling DirecTV out, with the fine tuning dial missing for the elevation component (still have the azimuth fine tune dial). I guess it is possible it popped off and caused this mess. We have had several weeks of high wind.

Get the elevation and skew set correctly and you should be able to get the azimuth close enough to get your signal back.

A mistake that can happen is that you use the center of the elevation nut aligned with the number.
That's wrong, you need to use the edge of the square washer.

Square washer? On mine it's the bracket behind the scale.

The indicator is the bracket behind the scale. There isn't a separate washer, it's a flange nut.

Joel,
I'm not sure you need to call a D* installer just yet. You say your mast is plumb and that you have the mounts tight so we have that done. The next thing you need to check is that your dish cannot move around on its own. I mention this since you stated that the dithering bolts seem to be missing. If they are gone the dish will not stay locked into whatever position you set and you really cannot get a firm setup. If the dish is firm on the mount then we can continue. I will assume that things are OK and we can proceed.

From your zip code you live in La Villa, Texas. According to dishpointer your magnetic azimuth needs to be 182.4 degrees and your elevation needs to be 59.1 degrees. You will need a compass or smartphone app to check the azimuth. If you use a compass be sure to keep it away from the metal arm or the metal will cause your compass reading to be wrong. That is why I really like the Satellite AR smartphone app since it uses GPS sats for the compass (and is not influenced by the metal in the dish).

Next you need to get the elevation set correctly. Take a good look at he photo Chip posted. You need to have the side of the slot lined up with the elevation marks on the front. My slimline dish has a red line on the side of the slot that you have to use. But, if you look closely at Chip's picture you can see how the side of the slot points to the 34 degree mark. You need to have your dish look like that for your 59 degree setting.

You will need an associate to help you with the next step because you need to have someone who can look at the receiver and tell you how the settings vary while you move the dish. You can use cell phones to communicate while you are doing the alignment work.

You need to get to the meter display (Menu>Settings & Help> Settings> Satellite> View Signal Strength). Use the first setting that shows up (Satellite: 101, tuner 1). Click on the Signal Meters button which will bring up the signal meter. This is the display you will use for your dish alignment.

If you have done the first two steps correctly you should see some signal strength on your meter. If you see nothing one of the first two steps have not been done correctly and you need to go back and check them to be sure they are correct.

Assuming that you get some reading, you need to make sure the elevation bolts are snug and the pole bolts are loose enough to allow you to move the dish slowly left and right. You now need to move the dish to the left and note the meter. If it goes down you need to move in the opposite direction. Move it back and forth for the best reading. When you have it at your best reading, tighten the bolts that hold the dish to the pole. Make sure all three are tight. You need to make sure that you will not move the azimuth while you adjust the elevation.

Now you need to loosen the elevation bolts slightly until you can move the dish up and down. Do the same movement watching the meter on the screen for the best signal. When you have that, make sure the bolts are tight on the elevation. You are now done with the hard part.

Now you need to set the skew. The skew setting for your location is 84. You can just set it to that for now and see how things work, or you can change your meter to 99 and rotate the dish around the 84 degree setting to get the best meter reading. When you have the best reading, tighten things down and you should be golden.

I know this sounds like a lot. But, you would be surprised how easy it is once you get into it. If this seems like too much work you can call an installer. But, given that you have watched the videos and seem to be comfortable with moving the dish, I would give it one more try before I gave up.

Just my thoughts,
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)