Signal problems...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lastrayden

Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Arizona
Hi there. To start off I'm about to go insane messing with this dish to try and get a signal. I just recently moved to a new place. I noticed that at my new house there was an existing Slimline dish from Directv. It is the exact same as the one I had at my previous place. So I decided not to even deal with climbing on the roof and taking it. When I was finally able to have a chance to hook my box up to have satellite it said that there was no signal. Well I didn't touch the dish because I figured it would be aligned toward the correct satellite. So I started messing with it, reset the box, etc. Still nothing. So I went to the Directv website and found the correct alignment for the area I moved to. It was different from what the dish was set at. So I moved it to the settings I received from the website. Still Nothing. It is right on what they said. I have been messing with it and I just can't seem to get it aligned. I talked to a next door neighbor and he was telling me that he tried and tried and tried with his as well. His is the exact same set up as mine. He said that he messed with his for about 2 weeks and finally gave up on it. I look around the neighborhood and mostly see Dish satellites. I hate Dish and would much rather stick with Directv. I have never had such a big problem getting a dish aligned. Is it possible to have a dead spot in certain areas? There is no trees or anything in the way either. Any ideas would be great!

Unless the dish is pointed into a tree there is no dead spot..... There could be several problems you are encountering...
In order for installers to help you with your issue we require more information on your setup........

1. What model receiver are you trying to connect?
2. How many lines are coming down from the dish 1 or up to 4?
3. What zip code do you live in for proper alignment settings?

SIG

:welcome to Satelliteguys lastrayden!

Can you post a picture of the elevation setting on the dish?

Look around the place to see if the lines from the dish are connected at the house where it comes in, also, depending on your set up, there are now a variety of set ups you could be using, your set up and the last guy very possibly may be WAY different, thus needing different equipment ..

My GUESS would be the dish WAS aligned correctly and you have a different set up.
Did you run the Repeat Sat setting when you hooked your stuff up to it so it would identify the dish ?

Is this a SWM set up or non SWM ?

What recvrs are you using, is there a Power Inserter in the set up, if needed, how about a SWM splitter ?

It's my experience that when people move, they tend to take these things with them, not knowing what it is and your left with a line to the dish, with no equipment to make it work.

I'm with Jimbo on this one, it's a pity you did not post here before you moved the dish. Odds are you have a different dish type from your previous home, or as he says it is an SWM dish and the power inserter is missing.
If you answer the questions in his post, we can probably help you.

Yep, sounds like old place was non swm and new place is swm or vice versa.

I recently moved and didn't bring dish with me because there was one already up, come to find out it's a non-swm so I'm stuck with just my D12 and H24 because my H25 is sitting in a closet until I have time to deal with getting directv to send me a SWM SL5 LNB without having to go though movers connection.

You'll need the SWM LNB and the power inserter. Odds are DirecTV will insist on a service call, they don't send out LNBs for self install. Or you might get the LNB and the PI on ebay for less than the service call charge.

You'll need the SWM LNB and the power inserter. Odds are DirecTV will insist on a service call, they don't send out LNBs for self install. Or you might get the LNB and the PI on ebay for less than the service call charge.

Ya I don't feel I should have to buy anything already paying them $105/mo. Reason I don't want to use movers connection is because I'm out of contract and using it would add a year. But I might consider it if I can get the D12 upgraded to a H24/H25 for free and maybe a free CCK so I can access my DLNA server from all the Directv boxes.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just call and see what they will offer you....

Status
Please reply by conversation.