Signal Quality / Power and Rain Fade

JonH

Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MA
Hello, I had Voom installed on Friday and am really enjoying it. Can someone explain the difference between the Signal Quality and Power and how they relate to rain fade? I have signal quality of 97 and power of about 75, we had some light rain the other night and some of the channels started getting pixelated. Would this be a repeaking issue or moving the dish issue? I would think the quality of the signal would mean I had a good line of sight in which case I probably need a larger dish.

Just want some information before I call Voom to let them know.
Thanks

JonH said:
Hello, I had Voom installed on Friday and am really enjoying it. Can someone explain the difference between the Signal Quality and Power and how they relate to rain fade? I have signal quality of 97 and power of about 75, we had some light rain the other night and some of the channels started getting pixelated. Would this be a repeaking issue or moving the dish issue? I would think the quality of the signal would mean I had a good line of sight in which case I probably need a larger dish.

Thanks

Several things can cause signal degredation. Rain fade occurs when the signal is attenuated by clouds and rain. If the dish is not properly aligned, or if you have diplexors reducing the signal then the rain fade will be worse. First get rid of the diplexors (or get some good ones), and make sure the dish is peaked. Then if you still have rain fade, you should ask for a larger dish - either 24" or 30". Make the installer sort it out.

JonH said:

Thanks

Check your signal level on the signal level screen not the status screen.

If your signal level is 97 on a normal day then you likely just have normal rain fade. If a diplexor was bad or your dish was not aimed right you would not be getting a signal that high.

From what I have seen rain fade may be worse on Voom than DTV due to higher compression and due to a weaker satellite.

It would be nice to know from those who have Voom and DTV if they both act the same durring rain fade or if Voom is worse.

You can try installing a AMP inline however many inline amps block OTA so you would have to insert it before or after the diplexors unless you find one that will do from 50Mhz to 1.5 Ghz.

Voom broadcasts at lower power than the other sat companies and that and their weird orientation is a big problem especially on the west coast. Not as bad on the east coast.

JonH said:

Thanks

Here's some technical information about the relationship:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=136752&postcount=17

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)