Signal Separator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2008
I just got a directv dvr, and I've got a multiswitch on the roof already, but I'd prefer to add something like a signal separator like dish network has for all of their dual-tuner recievers... I'm an installer for both, but I don't understand why dish network can do that, but directv can't. Even still, I'm sure that this question has been asked around here some, so if someone could even just link me to a thread that's already gone over it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

I just got a directv dvr, and I've got a multiswitch on the roof already, but I'd prefer to add something like a signal separator like dish network has for all of their dual-tuner recievers... I'm an installer for both, but I don't understand why dish network can do that, but directv can't. Even still, I'm sure that this question has been asked around here some, so if someone could even just link me to a thread that's already gone over it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

IF your talking about for the DVR , making 2 tuners available from one line, D* does have it available, but it is still very new and not available everywhere.
It's called a SWM set up and you can buy them from some of the site sponsors.

DIRECTV SWM8 SINGLE WIRE Multi-Switch KIT

Jimbo

I'm aware of SWM, I'm hoping it comes out very soon to make my installations easier, but I was really hoping for something like a 1x2 like dish network does on their dual-tuner receivers.

Simplistically, the Dish LNB combines the odd and even transponders onto a single coax. Then they can split that signal to feed multiple tuners. The tuner then processes both odd and even. This is basically what the SWM does.

If all you need are the channels from the 101 sat, then there is the stacker/destacker method. But, this isn't talked about much because of the multiple sat.

Well the difference and the reason it works for Dish (18v-19v and Cable (3v-4v) companies is that you use a single current to power the lnb, where DirecTV uses 13v for Odd transponders and 18v for even transponders. Splitters, Separators and even Diplexers (used as a combiner for the same frequency), will not properly alternate the 2 currents. Sometimes if the frequency range is correct and its power passing it will work for a few weeks or till someone on that same line tries to watch the same channel, then it dies. Trust me many many have tried all have failed.

Well the difference and the reason it works for Dish (18v-19v and Cable (3v-4v) companies is that you use a single current to power the lnb, where DirecTV uses 13v for Odd transponders and 18v for even transponders. Splitters, Separators and even Diplexers (used as a combiner for the same frequency), will not properly alternate the 2 currents. Sometimes if the frequency range is correct and its power passing it will work for a few weeks or till someone on that same line tries to watch the same channel, then it dies. Trust me many many have tried all have failed.

Not to mention the presence of the 22kHZ tone on the 110 and 119 sats. So given the two voltages being used, and the presence or absence of the control tone, you end up with 4 possible combinations...hence the reason multiswitches need four inputs to function properly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)