Signal Strength, Lazy Installer?

Craig9080

Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Central GA
Hey Everyone,
I'm new here as I just got my dish installed. I live in a remote area where the local cable company has a monopoly and essentially charges outrageous prices for TV so I decided that Dish was a much better rout.

First, during the initial install the installer tried to convince me that I could get 1080i over the coax on the 2nd TV (I have a VIP722k) and tried to hook up my main TV with it, I called his bluf because I looked at the spec sheet for the 772 and made him hook up my main TV with the HDMI.

After watching for a little bit I noticed the the HD was nowhere even close to that of what I used to get back on COX cable TV. Horrendous macro-blocking with even moderate movement and pixlation on static images. I called Dish and they sent another guy out. He basically looked at the TV and said that it looks like everything else he had hooked up. I asked him if he could just try to realign the dish and he said it wasn't worth trying and basically spent half an hour saying i need to deal with it. When I showed him my signal strength he said that it wasnt a problem since numbers as low as 35 are acceptable. My numbers are:

SAT: 61.5
TRANP: 17
SS: 59

SAT: 72
SS: 64

SAT: 77
SS: 49

As another note, my local HD channels look especially like crap and that bugs me pretty bad trying to watch the major network primetime shows. If anyone has the knowledge to help out or offer and opinion I would be very appreciative.

You have too many problems to address here. Dish has a great picture when installed correctly. You need to sort everything out with the installer and/or Dish.

Those signals are fine btw.

I don't know anything about signal strength, but I'd report both of the installers to dish; they're full of it. Dish HD works fine (and certainly beats my local cable co); if you're getting any macroblocking, there is a problem with your install.

Do double check the 722k's HD settings; insure it is set to output 720p ore 1080i. Sounds like the installer's didn't have a clue about installing anything HD.

The signals look pretty good to me on eastern arc setup. Using my diagnostics status numbers I get the following strengths:

77 sat

13 - 50 strength
16 - 54
20 - 54
21 - 50

72 sat

15 - 63 strength
17 - 61
19 - 64
21 - 61

61.5 sat

10 - 54 stength
14 - 61
29 - 65
31 - 56

Anything 50 and over is supposed to be sufficient to prevent rain fade in " moderate rain. " Eastern arc has lower numbers than western arc. I have a 1000.2 sat dish for just 110 sat hooked into my eastern arc dish 1000.4 and I get high 70s on almost all transponders. As for your locals you need to send an email to: dishquality@echostar.com and describe what you are seeing , when you are seeing it and on what channel. If you keep updating them on a daily basis over what the problems are , they will respond and work to fix the problems or tell you that it is the locals themselves that need to work on it on their end. Even then they will even work with your local stations to try to fix the problems on their end.

As for macro blocking, I don't see this on my hd channels at all. That does seem to be an installer problem or your tv has it's contrast and sharpness so turned up you are seeing flaws in your picture. I would try to adjust your contrast down to 50 and your sharpness down to 35 or lower . IF you still see macro blocking you need to call DISH and see if they will send another installer to look at what is wrong with either your receiver or your install, that might be causing your problems.

Those signals are not bad even though you see that number on the other side of the bar that says 125 it never gets that high anymore they changed the way the recvs read the signals if you want to know the min threshold for your area you can contact dish or local company that put it in

Call Dish and tell them about the two installers and the pixel problems. Your install/repoint is guaranteed for 90 days.

As said above, numbers are fine, but there might be a LOS or connection problem. If you check the connections yourself, beware of the 722s connectors - it takes two wrenches - one to hold the tuner and another to tighten the cable.

Also one thing to check is the HDTV setup. It might not have been changed. But also call again if you haven't already

Thanks for the help everyone. I will get back on the phone with Dish and try to sort this out.

Sorry about any inconvenience. If you want to PM your phone number or account number, I'll make sure we get you taken care of.

The HDTV setup is in menu-6-8. Make sure it's set to 1080i (or 720p) and 16x9

I would also check the settings on your TV some sets automatically sense the type of HDMI input others may need to be configured to match that of the Dish receiver, it also could be a bad HDMI cable you could try component for video and optical for audio to see if that improves things. Please post the brand and model of your TV this may help try to solve your problem. I am sorry you are having issues my HD looks outstanding at least in my opinion.

kvnfl said:
- it takes two wrenches - one to hold the tuner and another to tighten the cable.

I would never tighten connections wrench tight! Hand tight is sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Signal strengths are fine. Culprits could be one of several things. Bad HDMI cable/port, RG59 cable somewhere between dish & receiver, no ground/grounded improperly, receiver not set for 1080, connectors, etc. etc. Could also be the make of HD television. Not all telly's are created equal.

Signal strengths are fine. Culprits could be one of several things. Bad HDMI cable/port, RG59 cable somewhere between dish & receiver, no ground/grounded improperly, receiver not set for 1080, connectors, etc. etc. Could also be the make of HD television. Not all telly's are created equal.

That's for sure. Buy a cheap-ass HD Tv, expect a cheap-ass HD picture, i.e., the manufacturer can sell it cheap because they built it with cheap parts.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new here as I just got my dish installed. I live in a remote area where the local cable company has a monopoly and essentially charges outrageous prices for TV so I decided that Dish was a much better rout.

First, during the initial install the installer tried to convince me that I could get 1080i over the coax on the 2nd TV (I have a VIP722k) and tried to hook up my main TV with it, I called his bluf because I looked at the spec sheet for the 772 and made him hook up my main TV with the HDMI.

After watching for a little bit I noticed the the HD was nowhere even close to that of what I used to get back on COX cable TV. Horrendous macro-blocking with even moderate movement and pixlation on static images. I called Dish and they sent another guy out. He basically looked at the TV and said that it looks like everything else he had hooked up. I asked him if he could just try to realign the dish and he said it wasn't worth trying and basically spent half an hour saying i need to deal with it. When I showed him my signal strength he said that it wasnt a problem since numbers as low as 35 are acceptable. My numbers are:

SAT: 61.5
SS: 59

SAT: 72
SS: 64

SAT: 77
SS: 49

As another note, my local HD channels look especially like crap and that bugs me pretty bad trying to watch the major network primetime shows. If anyone has the knowledge to help out or offer and opinion I would be very appreciative.

How ironic. Usually we have to explain to the customer that they CAN'T get HD on Tv 2 like the CSR or Retailer told them they could.

And as others have said, you signals are fine. Each region has it own set of signal strengths for each satellite as determined and specified by the engineers at Dish.

Hmm, I can almost guarantee you it's a bad box, you can hook up component (the red blue green) see if it makes a difference, but like I said, most likely a bad receiver. Was the first tech a subcontractor? There was a red flag when he tried to bs you, you should have kicked him out on the spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts