Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elkview

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2008
Elkview,West Virginia
I have a couple 90cm dishes with 1200 receiver. If it's cloudy or rain coming I loose a lot of signal. I was wondering if I get a 6 foot dish will that get rid of rain fade for the most part on KU?

I just dedicated a 6 foot Ku dish for 125W and the PBS channels there. Although I have not had a thunderstorm since I put it up, I had a very heavy downpour for a few hours. All my other Ku dishes lost all signal. The 6 footer lost about 20% Q but the picture was still perfect with absolutely no glitching at all. That was on the main PBS feeds. That was the first time I ever was able to watch Ku in such a heavy rain. I do suspect however In a thunderstorm with the high cloud walls, it would go out completely, It has too.
I would also suspect a stronger transponder than the PBSs on 125W would fare a little better.

Follow what I did here, trying both a feed horn and a prime focus KU LNB:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/pbs-finally-i-hope.351960/

125 is what I was just trying to get. No signal at all. On a clear day it does good but soon dies out with clouds. I believe I'll try a bigger dish. Neighbors laugh already.

Reactions: fred555
I think the consensus here is that at a minimum, a 120cm dish is needed for 125W to get a reliable signal.
I just happened to have a spare 6 footer and no 120cm, but It worked out better with a 6 footer for me anyway.

Reactions: Elkview
Been using a stationary 90cm dish on 125. works fine except during very heavy cloud cover or heavy rain (thunderstorms) etc. I am using a dual PLL standard geosat pro LNBF.
What LNBF are you using?

I vote "bigger Dish", the bigger the better. 1.2m @ 125w here.
BITH, when I had directv, only a heavy downpour would knock out reception with the LNBF on a 30 inch. Standard 18inch, thick clouds would knock it out.

There is a 1.2m on 125W here also.
Reception is reliable, with the exception being a heavy thunderstorm. Cloud cover and light rain haven't been an issue.

Agree with the others 1.2 is minimum for 125 for consistent reception.
If you are using an older LNBF you could try a newer PLL LNBF and it will help, but if you got the room go bigger. :)

Reactions: Elkview
The instructions on the Geosatpro 120 dish says to turn the bracket upside if using Hh motor. I have a Stabb 120 and this doesn't make sense. The shaft on the motor is up, just the opposite of my Stabb 90. By reversing the bracket it puts the bent metal , ( that I assume hold the dish from sliding down) right in the way. Any ideas?

You don't have to turn it upside down for a STAB 120.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts