Signal threshold on a tv signal meter

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I have a HD tv and an analog tv that requires a converter box. Could I possibly pick up more stations with one or the other depending on what the threshold is of either device?

Yes

I have a panasonic plasma and AOC hdtv and the AOC does have a little more sensitive tuner than the panasonic does.

My zenith converter box has the most sensitive tuner

Yes

I have a panasonic plasma and AOC hdtv and the AOC does have a little more sensitive tuner than the panasonic does.

My zenith converter box has the most sensitive tuner
I think the Zenith converter box that Iceberg has is made by LG. In my experience Samsung and LG have the best ATSC tuners.

Definitely all tuners aren't created equal. I have a Panasonic plasma here that is a real nice TV, but the tuner in my cheaper Sanyo picks up more stations. The Panasonic is a older model though, one of the first ATSC capable ones, which may have something to do with it.

It's amazing how much tuners vary in what they receive. I've got four TVs, plus an old Insignia converter box and two HD Home Run receivers. The 2001 Sony tuner shows "No Signal" for lots of stations that come in just fine on the other TVs. My newer 2008 Sony has a good tuner, the Panasonic 2010 tuner is better, but my new inexpensive Vizio TV is super. The converter box used to be the best tuner for pulling in those weak distant stations, but the new Vizio has got it beat. The HD Home Run receivers aren't that great. They're better than the old Sony TV, but not as good as any of the other receivers.

I haven't had an opportunity to compare the LGs and Samsungs, but, like Boba says, I've heard that they're really good.

I have an RCA converter box and an Emerson hd tv. The tv on one channel shows a 97% signal strength while the converter only shows 68%. Weird.
.Not really because you are comparing APPLES to ORANGES. Comparing signal strengths on different products and generations of ATSC tuners does not give comparable results. The number of stations received is about the best you can do to compare one to the other.

I have an RCA converter box and an Emerson hd tv. The tv on one channel shows a 97% signal strength while the converter only shows 68%. Weird.
each box is different. Heck even different models of the same manufacturer are different
My Tivo Series 3 maxes out at 100 whereas the Roamio is usually 72 max. It may go above 72 for a quick bit but will stabilize at 72

well here is proof that some tuners are better than others

My DTVPal has issues locking my FOX translator station that I rely on. It will show 63-64 then quick spike to 71 then back to 64 or so and will stutter
My Tivo Seres 3 shows 70 and is stable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts