Signed up for Dtv yesterday, canceled today :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Yesterday I called Dtv and signed up for one free HD DVR + one free SD receiver for my second TV AND a promise that after three months I can get another free HD DVR (or any other advanced receiver) for my second TV. Good deal but I was suspicious about the second free HD DVR so I called this morning and asked them if they are willing to give it to me in three months, why not right now? CRS told me it's because they don't have two free DVRs promotion right now but that they can assure me I'll get it in three months and transferred me to another CRS who can give me some kind of assurance so I don't have to worry about that. Okay ... However, the third CRS who supposed to assure me, said that he doubts I can get the second DVR for free ever!? So I canceled the entire deal and will continue to use Dish 622 which gives me DVR service for second TV - free.

Bottom line is, the two CRS lied to me on my very first experience with Dtv. The third CRS was not willing to offer me anything else. I was prepared to pay $100 bucks for second HD DVR but he simply said I have to pay $199 for it, period.

I really don't see how they can compete with Dish this way. I really wanted to switch but I'd have to pay one or two hundred bucks for either SD or HD DVR that will never be mine. That's just not right. :(

All you needed to is just to be sure that it was written in there notes, so just call them ans ask to read notes. If it is written, then they will deliver. At least it happened to me, when they gave me a partial credit for a second HD DVR HR20, they couldn't provide, on a condition that I will buy it myself (It was 1 year ago). They gave that credit:)

I wonder how you KNOW that the first 2 CSRs lied? Maybe you are leery of what they said but there is no proof they lied. Why do you believe the 3rd so fast? Besides, you are asking for free equipment and discounts and you are not even a customer with them yet.

The standard offer is usually 1 free advanced receiver (plus the basic install/4 rooms, etc.). Later, most people have been able to call and get a 2nd advanced receiver upgrade for 1/2 price ($50 for a 100 DVR or HD unit; or $99 for a 199 HD/DVR unit). Some have even received the 2nd one free. But this is usually AFTER they have service for awhile.

FWIW, compared to cable, it's not such a big deal. (I can't compare Dish). For me it broke down as follows:

CABLE =
2 HD/DVRs = 1 free, 1 $6.95 rental (24 month total= 166.68)
HD/DVR Service = 14.95 each = 29.90 (24 month total= 717.60)
24 month totals= 884.28 + programming + taxes + franchise fees

DirecTV
2 HD/DVRs 1 free, 1 $4.99 mirror fee (24 months= 119.76)
HD/DVR service = 9.99(HD) + 4.99(HD addon) + 5.99(DVR) = 20.97 (24 months= 503.28) covers ALL units in home.
24 month totals= 623.04 + programming + taxes BUT no franchise fees
PLUS 1 free HD/DVR and 1 @ $199 = 822.04

SO after 24 months (based on commitment) with D* even "buying" a 2nd HD/DVR for full 199 would be $62.24 cheaper than cable ($162 if you get the 2nd for 99). Plus factor in the additional HD channels, better DVR service, VOD, constant software updates, etc., it becomes a non-issue.

Now DISH may be a closer compare but I am not familiar with their pricing. But DISH has been loosing customers lately and playing catchup so that may affect your decision. D* seems to have more sports packs as well.

Last edited:
Yesterday I called Dtv and signed up for one free HD DVR + one free SD receiver for my second TV AND a promise that after three months I can get another free HD DVR (or any other advanced receiver) for my second TV. Good deal but I was suspicious about the second free HD DVR so I called this morning and asked them if they are willing to give it to me in three months, why not right now? CRS told me it's because they don't have two free DVRs promotion right now but that they can assure me I'll get it in three months and transferred me to another CRS who can give me some kind of assurance so I don't have to worry about that. Okay ... However, the third CRS who supposed to assure me, said that he doubts I can get the second DVR for free ever!? So I canceled the entire deal and will continue to use Dish 622 which gives me DVR service for second TV - free.

Bottom line is, the two CRS lied to me on my very first experience with Dtv. The third CRS was not willing to offer me anything else. I was prepared to pay $100 bucks for second HD DVR but he simply said I have to pay $199 for it, period.

I really don't see how they can compete with Dish this way. I really wanted to switch but I'd have to pay one or two hundred bucks for either SD or HD DVR that will never be mine. That's just not right. :(
what makes you so special? why should you get a free hd dvr when the rest pay 199 dollars for it

stick with dish your a perfect customer for them, just a complainer looking for free handout
SOMETHING FOR NOTHING ISNT RIGHT!

what makes you so special? why should you get a free hd dvr when the rest pay 199 dollars for it

stick with dish your a perfect customer for them, just a complainer looking for free handout
SOMETHING FOR NOTHING ISNT RIGHT!

Yeah. Why would I pay 199 for somehting that will NEVER be mine and then pay 5-6 bucks lease fee for many years to come? I'd say that Directv wants my money for nothing. If I have to pay 200 bucks for it then I want to be able to sell it whenever I want.

you own your house or does the bank own it?
if you do oe=wn your house you can afford to give dtv 200 dollars
your cheap im suprised you have internet as its not free either
as i said stay with dish your perfect for them just keep complainng and see how far you get
ill shed a tear for as well directv for losing your business lol

Yeah. Why would I pay 199 for somehting that will NEVER be mine and then pay 5-6 bucks lease fee for many years to come? I'd say that Directv wants my money for nothing. If I have to pay 200 bucks for it then I want to be able to sell it whenever I want.

How much will DISH charge you for that 2nd HD-DVR? Plus you must pay a DVR fee for each DVR with DISH.

And you don't own theirs either.

you own your house or does the bank own it?
if you do oe=wn your house you can afford to give dtv 200 dollars
your cheap im suprised you have internet as its not free either
as i said stay with dish your perfect for them just keep complainng and see how far you get

1. I own a house but I paid 0 dollars upfront fee. And I can still sell it whenever I want. :D

2. I get paid for using the Internet which is free. I am in my office now. :up

I am not against Directv. I'm just saying throw away 200 dollars for somehting everyone can get for free elsewhere?

and try comparing the lease upgrade fee for an hd dvr plus the $5 mirroring fee (or whatever they call it now) to the almost $20 lease fee you would have to pay cable for a similar box?

i paid for my hd dvrs didnt get em for free, granted i didnt pay 200 dollars but i did pay for them and i dont own them
so not everyone gets them for free i suspect peeps that do get hd dvr for free are very slim minority
my programming cost for directv is 250 dollars plus a month when sports sub in full effect ie total choice premier no locals nfl st+superfan mlb ei, nhl ci, nba league pass, nascar in car, and march madness

1. I own a house but I paid 0 dollars upfront fee. And I can still sell it whenever I want. :D
sounds to me like bank owns it and you took a mortgage
otherwise it would be a sizeable check/cash to purchase outright
and you wouldnt pay 0 up front youd pay it all upfront

Why are you complaining about something that you will have to do with DISH also?

The lease fee is the same as an additional receiver or mirror fee. You are not actually making "lease" payments.

For me, I have an HR20 and a SD TiVO. Since they count my HR as my primary unit, I pay no additiona fee for it and the TiVO (which I own) is charged a $5 additional receiver fee. If I were to make the TiVO my primary unit, then it would no longer have the $5 additional receive fee and the HR would be charge a lease fee of $5. Either way it is the same amount.

I think the "noting your account" & writing down your CSR's name would have been the preferred route. You could have even repeated what the CSR quoted & verified to her/him the request. Having said that, I don't believe that they give a second advanced receiver to any newbie & with the recent belt tightening think you'd be in for another fight to get your goods. The old policies of catering to the new customers at the expense of the long-term customers are gone & that is refreshing to see.

I wonder how you KNOW that the first 2 CSRs lied? Maybe you are leery of what they said but there is no proof they lied. Why do you believe the 3rd so fast? Besides, you are asking for free equipment and discounts and you are not even a customer with them yet.

The standard offer is usually 1 free advanced receiver (plus the basic install/4 rooms, etc.). Later, most people have been able to call and get a 2nd advanced receiver upgrade for 1/2 price ($50 for a 100 DVR or HD unit; or $99 for a 199 HD/DVR unit). Some have even received the 2nd one free. But this is usually AFTER they have service for awhile.

FWIW, compared to cable, it's not such a big deal. (I can't compare Dish). For me it broke down as follows:

CABLE =
2 HD/DVRs = 1 free, 1 $6.95 rental (24 month total= 166.68)
HD/DVR Service = 14.95 each = 29.90 (24 month total= 717.60)
24 month totals= 884.28 + programming + taxes + franchise fees

DirecTV
2 HD/DVRs 1 free, 1 $4.99 mirror fee (24 months= 119.76)
HD/DVR service = 9.99(HD) + 4.99(HD addon) + 5.99(DVR) = 20.97 (24 months= 503.28) covers ALL units in home.
24 month totals= 623.04 + programming + taxes BUT no franchise fees
PLUS 1 free HD/DVR and 1 @ $199 = 822.04

SO after 24 months (based on commitment) with D* even "buying" a 2nd HD/DVR for full 199 would be $62.24 cheaper than cable ($162 if you get the 2nd for 99). Plus factor in the additional HD channels, better DVR service, VOD, constant software updates, etc., it becomes a non-issue.

Now DISH may be a closer compare but I am not familiar with their pricing. But DISH has been loosing customers lately and playing catchup so that may affect your decision. D* seems to have more sports packs as well.

I live in a Charter area and my HD/DVR was 19.95 per month. If it was 6.95 I might still be with them.

How much will DISH charge you for that 2nd HD-DVR? Plus you must pay a DVR fee for each DVR with DISH.

It depends on your package. I don't pay any DVR fee with Americas everything pack.
4 rooms DVR without any discounts with E* would cost you $17.98 per month. 2 VIP 722 $125 max for the 2nd DVR installed.
4 rooms of D* DVrs would cost you $20.96.
So your argument isn't valid.

It depends on your package. I don't pay any DVR fee with Americas everything pack.
4 rooms DVR without any discounts with E* would cost you $17.98 per month. 2 VIP 722 $125 max for the 2nd DVR installed.
4 rooms of D* DVrs would cost you $20.96.
So your argument isn't valid.

that's if you qualify for the promo, i'm sure. only way i'll ever get dish network is if i purchase my equipment outright and it won't have some fancy price tag on it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)