Signed up with DTV last night.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Have been a Dish customer for over 10 years. But my lease is up in November and the decision to change was motivated by DTV's apparent commitment to providing outstanding PQ while expanding it's offerings. Signed up for the top package they are offering and two HR20's. Won't spend any time knocking Dish, I do hope they get it together.

Install is scheduled 10/24. Looking forward to it. :D

Welcome to the fold and use the HR20 forum as I know you will. :)

We all here would enjoy your comparisons of the HR20 to the Dish ViP622 DVR.

Thanks for the welcome. And I'm sure that I'll be a frequent visitor to the HR20 forum as I try to figure out the in's and out's. Giving up my 622 for a new unknown was about the biggest sticking point I had in deciding. But I'm one of those people who enjoy understanding the toy itself as much as playing with it. :)

Welcome! I just switched to DirecTV last week after having Dish for 11 years. I am VERY HAPPY with DTV! They also let me pick up the equipment and install it myself :)

Cebbigh...

I'll be joining you shortly! Decided that I'll save at least $75 by not trying a 30" dish. I have one very serious concern however. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand watching an entire HD program without losing the picture / reception. It will be a whole new experience :)

Bruce

You'll be happy here

I was wish D* for ten years but left for four months to AT&T Dish Homezone. It was awful. Been back with D* for a week and all is great. I've even noticed the SD channels look better on my 50" Samsung HD Plasma.

Be sure to read and watch the installers like a hawk. I had some problems like an ungrounded dish, not tied down cables, loose connections, and an installer helper that decided he would rewire my home theater his way. My HDMI didn't work which they blamed on the TV. The problem was they set the TV for 480p and 1080i. Unchecking 480p fixed that. I love "blame the customer" support.

If you have an HR20 do the IAMANEDGECUTTER back door and the remote will act more like TiVo. Buy the RC64RB remotes. About $25 each. They are backlit making life easier.

To set up your remotes go to the D* web site "how to" section. You can enter the brand and model of your equipment and it will look up the code for your stereo, TV, and DVD player. Much easier than trying several possibilities or launching a half-hour trial and error search.

I'll be joining you shortly! Decided that I'll save at least $75 by not trying a 30" dish. I have one very serious concern however. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand watching an entire HD program without losing the picture / reception. It will be a whole new experience :)

Bruce

Ironically the 30" dish did work well enough for me. But I had gotten to a saturation point and it still disturbed me to watch the numbers on signal level dive every 20-30 minutes (even though they stayed above water - mostly). But no KCPQ bugged me too. I think what really threw me over the edge was the stupid new marketing approach they are using of putting up HD slates and pretending they are new HD channels. All set for the new install this morning!

I was wish D* for ten years but left for four months to AT&T Dish Homezone. It was awful. Been back with D* for a week and all is great. I've even noticed the SD channels look better on my 50" Samsung HD Plasma.

Be sure to read and watch the installers like a hawk. I had some problems like an ungrounded dish, not tied down cables, loose connections, and an installer helper that decided he would rewire my home theater his way. My HDMI didn't work which they blamed on the TV. The problem was they set the TV for 480p and 1080i. Unchecking 480p fixed that. I love "blame the customer" support.

If you have an HR20 do the IAMANEDGECUTTER back door and the remote will act more like TiVo. Buy the RC64RB remotes. About $25 each. They are backlit making life easier.

To set up your remotes go to the D* web site "how to" section. You can enter the brand and model of your equipment and it will look up the code for your stereo, TV, and DVD player. Much easier than trying several possibilities or launching a half-hour trial and error search.

Thanks for the info on IAMANEDGECUTTER. The 622 was one of the good things about Dish. After reading your post I went to Ebay and bought 2x RC64RB remotes.

Have been a Dish customer for over 10 years. But my lease is up in November and the decision to change was motivated by DTV's apparent commitment to providing outstanding PQ while expanding it's offerings. Signed up for the top package they are offering and two HR20's. Won't spend any time knocking Dish, I do hope they get it together.

Install is scheduled 10/24. Looking forward to it. :D

Does this mean they "offered" you the two hr20's for free or did you have to pay (199 first, 299 second)?

Paid (199 first and 299 second). Did not really try that hard to get a freebie. HAD to do two HD DVRs because my wife and I each had separate 622's. Both of us are spoiled in that regard.

Surprise, he brought an hr20-100 and an hr-21. Didn't leave that long ago. Will be busy for awhile trying to figure out the new equipment.

PQ is great so far from what I've seen, but I've only looked at a few channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)