Signing up for DTV but keeping Uverse internet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sportsguy15

Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
So I had the DTV installers out this morning to hook up my service. We had to reschedule till Wednesday due to weather though/

Before he left, the installer said he was unfamiliar with Uverse and had no idea how to keep my internet working. My gateway for Uverse is behind my main tv in the living room, plugged into the wall with coax.

What should I do/tell him on Wednesday when he comes back out?

most uvers services should have phone line ran to the huge 2wire modem and from that modem it will back feed tv-service through the coax. If you see a phoneline going to the modem disconect the coax and see if your net is still up and home phone if you still have one.

If coax is need in your install of uvers have the DTV guy run a new line from dish to the room or take a line from a room close by if possible

If it's as easy as just hooking up and installing another coax line, I wonder why the installer didn't think of that. I'll definitely be telling him that Wednesday.

You guys think installing another coax line would be included free with my professional installation?

So I had the DTV installers out this morning to hook up my service. We had to reschedule till Wednesday due to weather though/

Before he left, the installer said he was unfamiliar with Uverse and had no idea how to keep my internet working. My gateway for Uverse is behind my main tv in the living room, plugged into the wall with coax.

What should I do/tell him on Wednesday when he comes back out?

I have DTV with Uverse Internet/phone.
Excellent choice on your part!

All installers like reusing whats there if they can. But installing new coax for the sate box is part of the free professional installation.

Figured it would be, thanks. One other question: The installer also mentioned having to rewire my home since the wiring was too thin/small? I didn't understand some of what he said, but he told me he had to install bigger wiring.

Figured it would be, thanks. One other question: The installer also mentioned having to rewire my home since the wiring was too thin/small? I didn't understand some of what he said, but he told me he had to install bigger wiring.

Means you have RG59 cable which is not up to dtv spec for handling HD or any satellite signal .. I mean it can but if a QA tech came by they would fail the job and the installer would be in trouble

This picture I posting bleow shows the size difference basically rg6 is better at handling the signal at minimum loss.

rg11_rg6_009.jpg

If you can SEE any of your wire, it will /should say on it what it is, RG6 is the current standard, IF you have RG6 your good to go, RG59 is what has been in some instances, depending on how old the place is.
The D* installer will install RG6.

Thanks guys. My home is only about 6 years old, sucks for the installer that he has to rewire everything. I guess it works out, at least he can install the additional coax jack at the same time. :)

Means you have RG59 cable which is not up to dtv spec for handling HD or any satellite signal .. I mean it can but if a QA tech came by they would fail the job and the installer would be in trouble

This picture I posting bleow shows the size difference basically rg6 is better at handling the signal at minimum loss.

rg11_rg6_009.jpg

Are you sure this is a picture of RG6 and RG 59 and not RG6 and Quad RG6 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)