Simple Question going from H20 to HR21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kangoljas

Original poster
HI all last year I signed into my Directv account and saw that I could get a free HD box. I always wanted the DVR but I couldn't come to pay 300 at the time. Anyways jump ahead to yesterday when I was browsing Amazon.com and they had a good deal on the lease of a HR21 with shipping and all was less then I could get it from Directv without haggling. Anyways I already have the Slimline dish installed, the installer even has the extra line up there on the dish and all I have to do is drill the hole through the wall and install the line into my room.

What I want to know is can I install this myself, its basically a swap. I assume all I have to do is call up Customer Service and tell them i want to switch out for another receiver. What would you do, should I keep the H20 active and just disable one of the spare standard receiver I have sitting around not doing anything and replace it with the HR21? I can't see the point in having an installer come out for a box swap. And when it gets here in a few days I can already have the dual tuner DVR goodness going on without having to wait for D* to send a tech out.

Thanks,

Jason

A sure DIY job!

If it were me I would simply activate the new HR21 on your main display and deactivate one of your spare SD units and move the H20 there just in case you get a good deal on a HD display down the road. The H20 will down res to your current display until then.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. ALSO.......

WELCOME! (even though I see you are a long time lurker/member) LOL!

HI all last year I signed into my Directv account and saw that I could get a free HD box. I always wanted the DVR but I couldn't come to pay 300 at the time. Anyways jump ahead to yesterday when I was browsing Amazon.com and they had a good deal on the lease of a HR21 with shipping and all was less then I could get it from Directv without haggling. Anyways I already have the Slimline dish installed, the installer even has the extra line up there on the dish and all I have to do is drill the hole through the wall and install the line into my room.

What I want to know is can I install this myself, its basically a swap. I assume all I have to do is call up Customer Service and tell them i want to switch out for another receiver. What would you do, should I keep the H20 active and just disable one of the spare standard receiver I have sitting around not doing anything and replace it with the HR21? I can't see the point in having an installer come out for a box swap. And when it gets here in a few days I can already have the dual tuner DVR goodness going on without having to wait for D* to send a tech out.

Thanks,

Jason
*patiently waiting for dual line capabilities a'la cable DVRs..*

You would probably want a second line so you can tape two channels at once. Not that it wouldn't be possible to do that yourself. And did you already have the 5-LNB dish with that receiver?

You would probably want a second line so you can tape two channels at once. Not that it wouldn't be possible to do that yourself. And did you already have the 5-LNB dish with that receiver?

Yes I already have the 5 LNB when this H20 was installed. They didn't run the rest of the house off of it though. Just my HD unit. There is a line running from the Dish now that just needs a double ended connector and a cable ran from it to the room I have the HD tv in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)