Single receiver HD dish setup Question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eriksat1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
WI
I have a single HD receiver H25 / 100
I have a Slim Line dish with SWM SL5S4NR2-01 LNB
Do I have to use a splitter or can I run the single RG6 from the LNB all the way straight to the receiver?

After further reading I see I might need to go from the Dish to a power inserter then to the receiver. Is that correct? The SWM lnb needs a power inserter and can not run straight from the receiver?

Yes, you need the power inserter to power the SWM LNB. (I am not familiar with the H25 but it makes no sense that they would include a power inserter in that receiver.) You will see a "Power to SWM" and "to IRD" on the box. Just make sure the coax for the power goes to the SWM. And yes, you can just run a wire from the power inserter to the dish without anything else in the line for your setup. (This is basically the setup I use for our RV.)

So with a power inserter will a regular old sat finder (Squawk box) still work to locate 101 or is it best to use the on tv signal strength from the installation screen. Yes I am setting up something for camping. I just went to HD a few weeks ago and I found the power inserter behind the main receiver so I am going to buy a new power inserter I see them on ebay new for about $14 With my old receivers and dishes I was very good at finding the satellite quick with a compass and sat finder, but this new stuff not so sure?

Last edited:
So with a power inserter will a regular old sat finder (Squawk box) still work to locate 101 or is it best to use the on tv signal strength from the installation screen. Yes I am setting up something for camping. I just went to HD a few weeks ago and I found the power inserter behind the main receiver so I am going to buy a new power inserter I see them on ebay new for about $14 With my old receivers and dishes I was very good at finding the satellite quick with a compass and sat finder, but this new stuff not so sure?

Only buy the PI if your also using a SWM set up when camping.

Are you using a HD TV when camping ?
If so, you'll need at least a Slimline dish, not necessarily a SWM, if you don't want.

No SWM, no need to spend more money on parts.

As for the locating the signal, I just use the recvr mater, but others like a meter, just a preference, personally I don't care for meters (unless it's a Birdog) as they pick up ALL the SATs, you only need to find YOURS and they don't tell you what Sat your hitting.

eriksat1,
You seem to have experience with sat setup, so I would at least try setting it up in your backyard with just the meter on the receiver. At least try that a few times to see if you are comfortable with that option. Others here have posted that it seems to work OK for them.

My TV is in the RV and the dish somewhere on the ground. I didn't want to do the shouting thing with the wife so I opted for a meter. I use an Acutrac 22 and have to disconnect the receiver during setup otherwise the meter records the SWM signal and not what is coming from the LNB. I don't know if those less expensive meters can work with SWM. (Note that the Acutrac 22 requires the DirecTV ASL-1 SWM Alignment Tool to be in the line.)

I was new to DirecTV and had a short time frame before we left on a planned trip so I just made the investment in the meter. It was the best alternative for me. And it does make setup easy. (And yes I had failures in the beginning, but folks on the forums helped me through them.)
Bob

I'm not sure the sat meter will work with the power inserter so I have a old small portable b/w tv I bought at a garage sale for $5.
and a test cable 75' of coax cable made up and a 100' extension cord so its easy to put the small tv right next to the dish when aiming.
From what I read mast perfectly plumb, aim at 101 then fine tune skew to 119 and the other sats should all fall into place?

I'm not sure the sat meter will work with the power inserter so I have a old small portable b/w tv I bought at a garage sale for $5.
and a test cable 75' of coax cable made up and a 100' extension cord so its easy to put the small tv right next to the dish when aiming.
From what I read mast perfectly plumb, aim at 101 then fine tune skew to 119 and the other sats should all fall into place?
Sounds like you are good to go. And you are absolutely correct on the procedure to get it all setup. Let us know how this works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts