Single Wire installation questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Hello,

Does D* offer a single wire solution that will work for me? I have 2 feeds coming into the house, one of which is used by Road Runner. Off the other I would like to run 2 HD-DVRs and 1 HD Receiver with MRV setup. All the coax is cabled to a central location. It is not clear to me from searching these forums and the web whether this is possible with D*. I know it is not with Dish.

Thanks,
Ted

Yes, the technology is called SWM. The SWM lnb can feed up to 8 tuners with a single cable coming into the house and using a 4 or 8 way splitter (depending on the # of receivers). Search for SWM.

This definitely looks like what I need. I assume it works with the whole-home DVR setup?

You can't integrate the internet with the Directv on the same line. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that.

You can't integrate the internet with the Directv on the same line. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that.

Yep. I have 2 feed lines coming into the house. 1 for RR and 1 for DirecTV SWM.

Thanks,
Ted

I have the SWM-8 setup & purchased the 8 output splitter for my equipment; either 8 separate receivers or 4 DVR's. I was wondering if I wanted to expand (going with all DVR's) could I simply replace the 8 output switch with the 16 output model?

I have the 5 LNB slimline with four cables running into the SWM module.

I have the SWM-8 setup & purchased the 8 output splitter for my equipment; either 8 separate receivers or 4 DVR's. I was wondering if I wanted to expand (going with all DVR's) could I simply replace the 8 output switch with the 16 output model?

I have the 5 LNB slimline with four cables running into the SWM module.

Yes, you can. Since you already have 4 cables going to the SWM8 switch, all you need to do is replace the SWM8 with a SWM16. You will have two SWM outputs, SWM1 and SWM2 and each can feed up to 8 tuners.

The SWM16 is a bit expensive so it might be best to just call Directv if you're planning on adding more receivers. They will provide the SWM16 switch. They charged me $49.99 which I think is a great price compared to purchasing the SWM16 for $100 +.

Yes, you can. Since you already have 4 cables going to the SWM8 switch, all you need to do is replace the SWM8 with a SWM16. You will have two SWM outputs, SWM1 and SWM2 and each can feed up to 8 tuners.

The SWM16 is a bit expensive so it might be best to just call Directv if you're planning on adding more receivers. They will provide the SWM16 switch. They charged me $49.99 which I think is a great price compared to purchasing the SWM16 for $100 +.

Interesting, My SWM switch already has two outputs labeled SWM1 & SWM2 (bought them myself) so maybe all I need is to change the splitter from a 1x8 to a 1x16 or am I missing something? The below product is what I have & I know it says SWM-8 but it does have two outputs as mentioned earlier (SWM 1 & SWM2)???????????

DirecTV SWM8 - Single Wire Multiswitch - $129 Including Power Inserter - Free Shipping

edit: I just checked & it looks like there is a different model that I would need; I also have two SWM-8's...can I use them both by combining them & then expand to 16 tuners?

DirecTV SWM16 - SWM 16 Single Wire Multiswitch, Amps & Parts for Large Installations

Yep. I have 2 feed lines coming into the house. 1 for RR and 1 for DirecTV SWM.
Ted,
The one additional thing to be aware of is that the DirecTV line should really have a solid copper core wire RG6. All the RF floats over the surface so the copper plated steel wire which works fine for these signals. But, the SWM needs power and a solid copper center wire is best for this application. So, you may need to have the other wire replaced with the solid copper core wire. My installer really pushed on replacing the former cable service RG6 wire from the outside connection to the splitter in the attic.

Just thought you should know.
Bob

Ted,
The one additional thing to be aware of is that the DirecTV line should really have a solid copper core wire RG6. All the RF floats over the surface so the copper plated steel wire which works fine for these signals. But, the SWM needs power and a solid copper center wire is best for this application. So, you may need to have the other wire replaced with the solid copper core wire. My installer really pushed on replacing the former cable service RG6 wire from the outside connection to the splitter in the attic.

Just thought you should know.
Bob

Thanks, Bob. Hopefully what I have will work. If not, then I will not be installing as the wife insists on no additional cables being run into the house. I see numerous Dish setups in the neighborhood, but few if any D* HD dishes. Hopefully that is not a bad sign. I'll find out tomorrow.

Ted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts