SIRIUS Channel Changes Coming May 5th!

So the 'name change' on the DISH side is simply to catch up to the fact that SiriusXM has merged their programming and marketing completely at this point. Renumbering, I bet there's a renumbering coming to both Sirius and XM radios soon

There may be 2 things going on here..... 1) They might be synchronizing the XM and SIRIUS channel numbers (to be the same) since they're still different (even after the merger).... This would help them promote all their channels (on-air and in outside advertising) without having to explain the 2 channel positions (for XM and SIRIUS).... And 2) They might be opening up the channel slots for the "public interest" (PI) channels that they're legally obligated to add under the FCC/Dept. of Justice agreements they signed (to get the merger approved)....Those new channels may have themes which need to be placed in particular thematic neighborhoods, ie. Spanish with Spanish, etc.
We'll find out soon enough...
The first and last ideas have some merit .. ie channel re-allignment to make the services mesh better.. but #2? opening up spots for public interest? what's wrong with just adding those at the end? 6091/6092 etc.. most public access isn't going to go with any genre of music because most public access stations don't have genre requirements..
ie.. back in the day when I was in Fairfax Co on Cox or what ever it was then.. the public access radio & tv channels just had to meet decency requirements.. if a person wanted to play death metal, and the next slot was to someone that wanted to play classical music.. then that's how it went.. .... there weren't PD there to "program" slots.. and even when they started trying to move time slots around they still allowed content that couldn't allow the station to fit under "top 40", or "contemporary" labeling..

I just took Scott's list and sorted it in excel ... they still have somethings jumbled.. like SPA (space music) and "Escape" between "Real Jazz" and "BB King's Bluesville" .. I'd argue it should be SPA / Escape / Real Jazz / BB King ... as a one somewhat leading to the next .. but then BlueGrass is up there above the religious crap.. but even if you can find a couple of genre's that seem to flow from one to the other.. they still have things jutting out like spikes.. Soul Town to BMP? Area 33 (aka Area 38 aka Electric Area) to Chill?

Where's my dart board... lets pick a line up on that in stead..

You know.. if dish would publish more information about **WHY** they are doing things.. people wouldn't be so F**KING PISSED at them all the time for changes that seem meaningless drunken dart board game associated actions. That is of course unless your drunken dart throws get better the more inebriated you are.. my pool playing is like that to a point.. 2 beers in I'm nailin' shots 4 beers in and I'm all ove r the place again... :)

the only SiriusXM channels i would like to see is three talk stations, and that's Howard 100/101 and The Virus, as i would like to listen to O&A and Stern again, i used to listen to those shock jock talk shows when they were on 105.3 in Dallas back when it was a hot talk station. i love that kind of talk show.

they are probably adapting to what sirius has to offer dish. "(and quite possibly on the actual Sirius / XM services as well.)" Could also be channel migrations from the sirius sattellites?

Wonder what they will change on their satellite radio? I've got Sirius in my car. Wonder if I'll have to change my presets. I may have to go over to the Sirius form and check things out.

Yes the lineup will change on the radio. (A number of stations have mentioned changes coming in Early May on the air)

And you will probably need up update your presets on your radio.

If SiriusXM Love happens to get discontinued from the satellites, I hope SiriusXM Love will still be available online exclusively. I subscribed to SiriusXM Internet Radio to listen to all music channels including online exclusive ones.

Noticed this morning that my online Sirius "The Message" was moved from Ch. 66 to 32. It's still on Ch. 66 in my car.

UPDATE: They just now switched it back to 66 online. Guess they're preparing for the upcoming changes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)