Sirius vs XM Signal Strength

rmjake

Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Which satillite radio has the strongest signal strength, and therefore best reception? I have been told that with Sirius radio that the antenna can be mounted inside of the car. With XM, good reception is available only with the antenna mounted outside of the car. If so, I think that Sirius would be the best choise, ie, best reception.
Regards, Ron J

There is no easy answer to that. Xm has satellites in a geostatioanry position and a network of repeaters. Sirius has satellites with an inclined elliptical orbit and fewer repeaters. in my area XM is easier to receive but that is not true everywhere. Wher are you perhaps there are other located near you.

Sirius does have an interior mounted antenna called the SIGMA, which stands for Sirius Interior Glass Mounted Antenna. I have one on my car. It is VERY large, and it seems the reception is not as good as when I had the magnetic one on my roof. But if you are looking for a cleaner install that is the way to go.

My buddy uses his Sirius OEM magnetic XACT exterior antenna on his dash cover inside the cabin with flawless results. Not my way of doing it, but it works great.

Geronimo said:
There is no easy answer to that. Xm has satellites in a geostatioanry position and a network of repeaters. Sirius has satellites with an inclined elliptical orbit and fewer repeaters. in my area XM is easier to receive but that is not true everywhere. Wher are you perhaps there are other located near you.

Very true. I have Sirius and sometime the signal is very strong with the repeater, though most always the sat reception is strongest. I have my home ant. in the attic and it never loses signal. I have the car ant on the back deck of the car underneath the hatch glass and it works fine. I would think either would be fine and would be more concerned with the progamming differences. Myself the Sirius subscription is worth the price. I would not be intersested in XM's programming. ymmv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)