Sirius XM to raise price for basic package

I just installed the SIRIUS unit I used to use in my service van when I installed in the wife's van. Was going to reactivate last weekend, but decided to wait, and do some price comparing with Pandora, and Slacker. I've had a Slacker subscription for a while as well and the "cash station" option is a boon for the rural area we live in (I wish Pandora had this option). Unless it's a glitch it seams I can actually use my Slacker subscription on both of our smart phones. Unless the SIRIUS 2.0 is something special this price hike is pretty much the nail in the coffin on me reactivating. I wasn't to impressed with the line up currently playing either. Just seemed like the same ol half crap they usually play over, and over. Actually I switched service vans when I was still with Dish, and because the area I was working at the time had a few decent radio stations I never even installed it in the second van. I was sick of the crap songs over, and over.

On the heals of the Netflix/Quickster announcement, watch SiriusXM double rates and split off online streaming and rename the core service something stupid like StarRadio

SiriusXM has been so unimaginative in their programing that stealing a poorly conceived idea from Netflix would seem like a good idea to them.

If they require subscribers to purchase new radios to continue receiving the service plus a price increase then they will lose a number of customers as a result. I don't understand why they didn't just make it an even $14.99 instead of $14.49?

If they require subscribers to purchase new radios to continue receiving the service plus a price increase then they will lose a number of customers as a result. I don't understand why they didn't just make it an even $14.99 instead of $14.49?

Just give them some time and they'll charge you the $14.99 when they feel they need too. Then they'll do some stupid advertising and name all the services they offer and say all for under $15.00.

Scott Greczkowski said:
With SiriusXM 2.0 all current XM Receivers will continue to work, however it appars that many SIRIUS units will not.

Hmmm. I thought that 2.0 was in addition to, not in place of. Guess I need to go read up on this. Love my 2009 Jetta w/built in Sirius. Doubt I'll be replacing that radio, even if they offer a replacement that keeps the integration with steering wheel, etc.

Yup check out the thread at XMFan .. to me it looks like it will be a mess.

Sure with 2.0 you will get 30 new stations, but what stations can they really add that will make me want to upgrade? Why dont they just FIX the stations they have now? If you an old XM guy like me then you know the channels were MUCH better before the merger.

Yup check out the thread at XMFan .. to me it looks like it will be a mess.

Sure with 2.0 you will get 30 new stations, but what stations can they really add that will make me want to upgrade? Why dont they just FIX the stations they have now? If you an old XM guy like me then you know the channels were MUCH better before the merger.

+1

Looks like those of us who have a sirius radio are being screwed. We can't get mlb games and can't get new features. Will they try to get us all on xm satelites?? I have had sirius since 2004 now bcause of the merger I have to buy all new equipment to get content like mlb. Nfl and all other sports were put on xm but sirius uses are being srewed. Its not right

When you feel like a company that you do business with is screwing you the best thing you can do is tell them so, with your wallet. That's what I did! When they asked why I was canceling three radios I let 'em know in exact terms.

I just use it Free thro Dish HD/BOX package @ home, just connected Dish receiver to my BIG surround sound entire home, listen to it like that every where in my house ..I don’t pay anything to them!
in car just listen to regular radio

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with that is that I like the world news channels like BBC World Service and my kids love channels like Kids Place Live, so I'm stuck paying the renewal price no matter how much they raise the price, so great idea to merge the two companies right?

The only problem withthat is that I like the world news channels like BBC World Service and my kids love channels like Kids Place Live, so I'm stuck paying the renewal price no matter how much they raise the price, so great idea to merge the two companies right?

hint when renewal come up tell them you will cancel and that the price is to high. like magic you will be offored the $77.00 price.

I got this email yesterday.

An Important Message from the CEO of SiriusXM

Dear Valued Subscriber,

I would like to thank you for being a subscriber and for your continued support. As the Chief Executive Officer of SiriusXM, I spend much of my time focused on satellites, programming and employees, which are all very important, but nothing is more important to me than our subscribers. I understand that the primary reason you subscribe to SiriusXM is the unparalleled choice we offer, and since launching over a decade ago, we have continuously expanded the variety and quality of the programming we provide.

And the best is yet to come. We are building an exciting future that includes even more channels, greater diversity, exclusive subscriber benefits and more flexibility in the ways you can listen to SiriusXM.

I hope you understand that to continue bringing this unbeatable listening experience to our subscribers, there will be a modest rate increase of $1.00 per month - less than 4 cents a day - on A La Carte packages. This increase will take effect on your next renewal date that occurs on or after January 1, 2012.

Because we know this increase comes during challenging economic times, we have provided some options below that you may want to consider:

- Keep what you have now, and your personalized A La Carte lineup will continue to offer you incredible value, with channels and channels of commercial-free music, plus sports, news, talk, entertainment and more - all in one place.

- If you're paying invoice fees, save $2.00 per billing cycle simply by changing to credit or debit card billing. It's far more convenient and a great way to save.

- Consider upgrading to our All Access package, and get all the channels available for your radio - including premium channels - plus access to SiriusXM programming on your computer, smartphone or other mobile device, for a great bundled price. It is our best value.

As we continue to add exciting new content and find more ways for you to enjoy our programming, we will work hard to control costs and create efficiencies to ensure SiriusXM continues to be the best value for your entertainment dollar.

On behalf of everyone at SiriusXM, thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Mel Karmazin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)