SiriusXM Canadian Service in US?

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Just curious if anyone has the Canadian Version of the SiriusXM service, and if so, were you able to use your radio/streaming subscription in the USA or the streaming/radio restricted to Canada?

I primarily only listen to news programming on my radio, but do want to get NFL games. All the packages that offer those options in the USA are much higher than in Canada. I have a relative who has a subscription there, and was considering just "adding on" a streaming account to his plan and cancelling mine.

I am in the opposite boat - a Canadian with a US account. I have been with Sirius since the beginning, long before the Canadian operation started. There are differences, as I recently found out when my wife rented a car here. Most notably ( for us), is that certain commercial based stations are not available (En Vivo 152 channel 11 and 12 from NY and La there are others). Of course you will not get US based traffic updates also. Conversely, I do not get some of the CBC channels on my US sub. The channels are there (I get En Vivo in Canada) but your subscription seems to determine whether you see them. I transferred one radio ESN to my fathers car in December (long story) and it took a couple of hours before 152 appeared.

Hope this helps
Steve

You should get all of the CBC channels on a US subscription - every US sub includes all Canadian channels, with one exception: Canadian Indigenous Peoples' Radio (which also airs ATN Asian Radio in the evenings) is only carried on the Sirius platform, not on XM.

That said, if you want NFL cheaply, just ask for the All Access Promo package for $50 for 6 months. It includes all Sirius or XM channels, plus full streaming of all channels. When you add taxes and fees, it comes out to something around $65 for 6 months.

You shouldn't have any problems to receive a US satellite signal in Canada. I've noticed Sirius XM US has added more Canadian channels.

There's no such thing as a US signal or a Canadian signal, it's all the same signal from the same satellites. The only difference is whether you get the Sirius or the XM signal.

Just curious if anyone has the Canadian Version of the SiriusXM service, and if so, were you able to use your radio/streaming subscription in the USA or the streaming/radio restricted to Canada?

I primarily only listen to news programming on my radio, but do want to get NFL games. All the packages that offer those options in the USA are much higher than in Canada. I have a relative who has a subscription there, and was considering just "adding on" a streaming account to his plan and cancelling mine.

I've done it the opposite direction lots of times with no trouble. I go fishing in Northern Ontario every summer and my Chevy's built in XM radio always works just as well up there as it does in the US. I've never tried streaming SiriusXM across the border so I can't speak to that.

Hey Everyone.

Thanks so much for all the amazing information

I just wanted to confirm what I think I learned above. If I purchased a Sirius XM radio in Canada I can add it to my US account and it will work fine right? I will be in Canada for a while visiting and I really wanted to get that cool new color radio. If I should wait till I get back to the US it’s all good.

Thanks everyone. :)

I
Hey Everyone.

Thanks so much for all the amazing information

I just wanted to confirm what I think I learned above. If I purchased a Sirius XM radio in Canada I can add it to my US account and it will work fine right? I will be in Canada for a while visiting and I really wanted to get that cool new color radio. If I should wait till I get back to the US it’s all good.

Thanks everyone. :)

You should be fine

Years ago I opened an XM account with a US address, but I would use my radio in Central and Southern Mexico, signal worked (and still does) great. As mentioned above the same satellite signal covers from Canada down to Mexico..

Then I moved back to the US, still using my US address,same account no problem

Then I moved back to to Mexico, same account with US address, no problems whatsoever.

Then I moved to Europe, so it didn't make any more sense to keep my sub, so I cancelled it.

Thanks for the reply. I am gojng to pick one up tomorrow and see what happens.

I am curious if the channel lineup is different in Canada? Or are the two services identical. I guess traffic and weather would be different.

Thanks for the reply. I am gojng to pick one up tomorrow and see what happens.

I am curious if the channel lineup is different in Canada? Or are the two services identical. I guess traffic and weather would be different.

Last free listen ALL channels were in the clear.

But I guess that of course if you get a Canadian sub, and depending on the package you choose, you'd have more access to Canadian stations (French Quebec Music,etc) and Canadian locals than if you get a US subscription package.

Enjoy your listening

Now that I'm taking advantage of the free listen, I've noticed that some Canadian stations/channels including French Canadian are available even now as part of the free listen ones.

I

You should be fine

Years ago I opened an XM account with a US address, but I would use my radio in Central and Southern Mexico, signal worked (and still does) great. As mentioned above the same satellite signal covers from Canada down to Mexico..

Then I moved back to the US, still using my US address,same account no problem

Then I moved back to to Mexico, same account with US address, no problems whatsoever.

Then I moved to Europe, so it didn't make any more sense to keep my sub, so I cancelled it.
you could have used a CC with a us address and get a VPN with a conn to a us server and you would have no problems streaming sxm. iv'e used my app in germany

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts