SiriusXM Introduces SiriusXM 2.0

Mom offered me the unit that was in her RV that they haven't used in a year with a lifetime account attached to it, was going to put that in my wife's Explorer in addition to replacing her stock radio (and most importantly get convenient aux in for her iphone), but not sure im going to bother with the Sirius part of that plan now, or should I?

Apple has a cult of strange followers. it is odd to me. i am an iphone owner but i do not feel loyal to apple. Other devices are doing similar things. Android is such an open platform...one day apple may lose.

Mom offered me the unit that was in her RV that they haven't used in a year with a lifetime account attached to it, was going to put that in my wife's Explorer in addition to replacing her stock radio (and most importantly get convenient aux in for her iphone), but not sure im going to bother with the Sirius part of that plan now, or should I?

Why not get her an iPhone/iPod connection kit for her new radio, or get one that has that built in? The aftermarket in-dash navigation unit we put in my wife's minivan has that built in. She just plugs in the USB cable and can control the music part of her iPhone that way.

Sirius receivers will still function for many many years. No way will they abandon more than ten million current and future Sirius subscribers, most of which are built in to cars & trucks. Half the new cars today still come with Sirius only receivers and there is a new geo stationary Sirius satellite that is replacing the original three geo synchronous orbiting satellites.

However, it looks like all next generation receivers will be XM 2.0 technology and Sirius technology receivers will go out of production. Eventually, SiriusXM will sell or use the Sirius frequencies for another purpose but that is probably at least a decade away, probably when the new Sirius satellite expires.

I believe the timeline has old style Sirius completely gone by 2015 with some degradation before then.

I believe the timeline has old style Sirius completely gone by 2015 with some degradation before then.
Right, and there is supposed to be a way to firmware update the in-car systems to the new service. (I'll believe it when I see it.) The whole idea behind 2.0 is to not have two systems that overlap. Eventually, your old Sirius only hardware will become paperweights. XM 1.0 hardware will only get a small subset of channels. The Sirius sattelites are going to be incorporated into the new service. They are not going anywhere.

Firmware is for certain recent models and XM receivers. I believe those of us with Sirius hardware older than a year are so out of luck.

I have lifetime Sirius on a 1st generation Starmate unit that has a very strong FM transmitter on it. It broadcasts what I'm listening about 6 houses down the street. Great for listening to satellite radio in the shower or thru my alarm clock radio. I doubt the new 2.0 units will do this .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts