SiriusXM looking to acquire part of iHeartRadio?

Still in use.

Seems odd that they never consolidated. I believe there are still Sirius radios made.

IIRC, Sirius actually had some advantages, perhaps in orbital selection, but kinda squandered it with poorly made radios.

I think it’s a Sirius radio in our 2016 Outback, but they try to disguise that by only referring to it as a SiriusXM radio.

Channel lineups are still a bit different, I believe.
My 2015 Audi is a Sirius radio.

Reactions: TheKrell
Still in use.

Seems odd that they never consolidated. I believe there are still Sirius radios made.

IIRC, Sirius actually had some advantages, perhaps in orbital selection, but kinda squandered it with poorly made radios.

I think it’s a Sirius radio in our 2016 Outback, but they try to disguise that by only referring to it as a SiriusXM radio.

Channel lineups are still a bit different, I believe.
They did something with the satellites..they used to rotate like GPS satellites..I think they use geostationary now..but I am probably wrong

Sirius actually had some advantages, perhaps in orbital selection, but kinda squandered it with poorly made radios.

Yup. Chrysler (as somebody said above... Juan?) has Sirius tech in it's radios. IIRC, they have 3 tuners: 2 for both satellites and 1 for terrestrial repeaters. The radio has fancy time-shifting going on to sync up the data streams, and it automatically selects whichever tuner has a good signal. I almost never lose reception around here.

Exit the outer beltway onto 95 South. Next to the wall on that curve you’ll lose reception. As you will at spots on Old Keene Mill.

Yup. Chrysler (as somebody said above... Juan?) has Sirius tech in it's radios. IIRC, they have 3 tuners: 2 for both satellites and 1 for terrestrial repeaters. The radio has fancy time-shifting going on to sync up the data streams, and it automatically selects whichever tuner has a good signal. I almost never lose reception around here.
They switched or planned to switch to a geostationary satellite per link above..separate from xm

Reactions: TheKrell
Not to get political but I still don’t think the merger should have been allowed by the government. The government instead got involved and passed the merger when they simply should have let them fail. If there was a market for it, it would come back.

SiriusXM has over 32 Million subscribers, increased employees, pays taxes etc and it was a mistake? A mistake to make an industry thrive by allowing a merger? This isn't what was best for consumers in the alternative of both failing? Yikes.

Different frequencies then XM uses the birds up there now do not have the bandwidth to duplicate things.
Read the link provided by nelson..they are not moving to XM birds..a separate satellite for Sirius service was launched..maybe he can give us a better update on what's going on

I tend to agree with an earlier post that said "Licensing" may be the loophole, indeed.

There's something with music licensing that the big money players abuse which saves them money if they are (partially, apparently) "terrestrial broadcasters."
This was some benefit to Pandora iattempting to buy a terrestrial station in how their music licensing fees were calculated for the larger operation. No doubt at some level, the same applies here,or is being tried here. Seems like a very complicated involvement, however should the licensing be part of the reason.

Speculation, yes...but very likely. Since the music industry is probably one of the biggest organized rackets that exist today, I have no doubt this would be a good reason to look at buying into a continually failing financial mess.

Reactions: Tampa8
IMHO,

- I have this service mostly for the "non-music" channels. As with TV, I think the customer is the loser when there are different providers competing on content. Back in the day, IIRC, SSR had the NFL and some colleges, and XM had MLB and some other colleges. No thank you. While anybody can make up a love songs channel or an southern rock channel or whatever, talk and sports are not like that. I want access to every major sport and a diverse set of talk and news stations.

- In any event, I think the SSR XM merger was just a case of the potential market for SR not being all that big.

- So, could the motive for IHeart here be on the "non-music" side of things? Through its vast network of alter ego dummy companies and its many big market AM stations, it has LOTS of talk, news, sports talk, and lifestyle talk talent across the spectrum of politics, religion, whatever. IIRC XM used to have an de-sports version of WLW, and had announced 4 more regionalized mixes of talkers that was stillborn due to the merger.

Could SXM migrate some of its national talkers from AM, and/or nationalize some local market talkers?

Reactions: Tampa8
Does anybody know if radio station frequencies will be sold off to cellular companies..like some of the TV frequencies were?

Does anybody know if radio station frequencies will be sold off to cellular companies..like some of the TV frequencies were?
AM is too narrow (1MHz) to be of any practical use. FM is only 20MHz so they could probably halve it but how and why?

There isn’t even a world standard for digital commercial radio. Our “HD” formerly known as “Hybrid Digital” is a sad, sad joke. I hope the world agrees on ONE standard, if there must be a change at all. I don’t see the business case, though.

Reactions: kc1ih and reddice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts