SiriusXM looking to acquire part of iHeartRadio?

I hope the world agrees on ONE standard, if there must be a change at all. I don’t see the business case, though.
The problem with many of the recent standards is that the IP is so convoluted and involves multiple owners. Initial licensing may be cheap with the modern standards but getting past the testing and approval stages can be very, very expensive.

It is interesting to follow the relationship between HEVC and AV1 just as it was with AVC and VP9 as the industry tries to decide on what business model makes the most sense.

TV has survived with multiple standards so I don't think it is reasonable to assert that radio can't.

The problem with many of the recent standards is that the IP is so convoluted and involves multiple owners. Initial licensing may be cheap with the modern standards but getting past the testing and approval stages can be very, very expensive.

It is interesting to follow the relationship between HEVC and AV1 just as it was with AVC and VP9 as the industry tries to decide on what business model makes the most sense.

TV has survived with multiple standards so I don't think it is reasonable to assert that radio can't.
But radio station owners are going bankrupt

But radio station owners are going bankrupt
All of them? Some fairly predictable fraction of every type of business is always going bankrupt.

If money is tight (and I think you're probably wrong on your assertion), that could make standards based on public domain IP more attractive.

iBiquity reportedly charged $3/device and $10,000 per station for their hardware royalties in 2012. The station conversion fee was originally $25,000.

All of them? Some fairly predictable fraction of every type of business is always going bankrupt.

If money is tight (and I think you're probably wrong on your assertion), that could make standards based on public domain IP more attractive.

iBiquity reportedly charged $3/device and $10,000 per station for their hardware royalties in 2012. The station conversion fee was originally $25,000.
Just the big one..its not the business it was 20 years ago...

Dates back to when Iheart WAS Clear Channel. All they did was change their name, right?
There are so many Clear Channels that it gets very confusing (very much like a John Malone property). Clear Channel Communications and Clear Channel Outdoor were brought together under the umbrella of CC Media Holdings. Clear Channel Radio is a different name as is Clear Channel Broadcasting. CC Media Holdings was renamed IHeart Media and the various subdivisions got new names. Through all of this there were TV stations offed and other properties acquired so it probably isn't entirely fair to say that Clear Channel == IHeart.

The Wikipedia page reads like the family tree of Tommen Lannister.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts