Site issues

I thank you for your idea and this is what I get? For the record:
  1. The problem machine is a 32-bit version of W7. The one I'm posting from is a 64-bit version of W7.
  2. BB code is from 1998.
  3. The earliest version of Wnidows I still have running is W2K. It was great in it's day.
  4. I have an unfortunately dead computer that still runs W95 and originally came with a 1GB disk. It has a MB-limited max memory which back then was 28MB. I believe W95 could run in 8MB. It was amazing how much we could do in so little memory.
Aren't you concerned about security vulnerabilities with an unsupported OS being on the internet? Especially a Windows OS?

Aren't you concerned about security vulnerabilities with an unsupported OS being on the internet? Especially a Windows OS?
That is a concern, yes. I don't go browsing willy-nilly using that W7 computer. But I do come to SG still, hence the wish for the return of my editor frame.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Even coming to a “safe” site like SatelliteGuys, you run the risk that the cookie with your Member Login expired and your browser is exposed to Ads, ads that could be compromised and Bam! Side-loaded Windows Malware and now your “safe” Windows machine is one of 70K machines participating in a DDoS attack against Microsoft.

Reactions: TRG
Navychop, being an actual Navy vet (Navy Supply Corp?) long ago and far away (from NO?), talks in acronyms all the time.

IIRC, ACDU ended 199410. Yes, USN, SC, RET. Served on LSD, LHA, CV, SSBN, overseas etc. BBA, HRMS. From NOLA, where I was in the BSA. Have RV at RBMC, WV and a MY in FFX, VA.

Reactions: TheKrell
That is a concern, yes. I don't go browsing willy-nilly using that W7 computer. But I do come to SG still, hence the wish for the return of my editor frame.
If it were me the first thing I'd do is say goodby to the 32 bit computer and bring it to an e-cycle center. Make sure you wipe the hard drive with DBAN or something similar first. Second I'd install a lightweight Linux distribution on the 64 bit computer and never look back. You'd get a modern operation system, security updates, piece of mind and a lot less frustration.

Anyway, that's up to you. There may be another reason why you want to keep W7 on life support that I don't know about. Perhaps some legacy apps or sentimental reasons. I'm not here to judge. ;)

Good grief! You guys are all paranoid! And iisn't the acronym RUD?
If it were me the first thing I'd do is say goodby to the 32 bit computer ...
Now now. I like that old computer. I love keeping old things around even if I have to find new uses for them. Plus there were a ton of old uses and apps that just worked and worked well, which I never moved to a more modern computer.
Second I'd install a lightweight Linux distribution on the 64 bit computer and never look back. You'd get a modern operation system, security updates, piece of mind and a lot less frustration.
Now this is a great idea. I do sometimes boot up a live DVD and run Scientific Linux (a recompilation of RHEL like Centos). But even that is kinda big and no longer available in 32 bit form, so it's getting old as well.

Got any recommendations on a distro that works on 32 bit computers with limited memory? ;) I once loaded a version from Corel on some old 32-bit computers with only 8MB of RAM. Ran quite well to serve a website my local skeptics club sponsored.

Re’ incineration: That could be an explosive experience, given a hot enough fire and last minute toss and run!
;)

Got any recommendations on a distro that works on 32 bit computers with limited memory? ;) I once loaded a version from Corel on some old 32-bit computers with only 8MB of RAM. Ran quite well to serve a website my local skeptics club sponsored.
My choice would be Debian (stable). But here is a list of some others.

I thank you for your idea and this is what I get? For the record:
  1. The problem machine is a 32-bit version of W7. The one I'm posting from is a 64-bit version of W7.
I have to admit that I was bamboozled by Scott's teasings that you were using a '386-based machine. That said, I offered a possible solution to the issues of running on museum class computers (replacement with a "classic" computer). Museum class devices may be an interesting diversion but they don't have any place as a daily driver for the modern connected user. This is nowhere more evident where someone is trying to run an old version of Firefox because their CPU doesn't support newer versions.
  1. BB code is from 1998.
This isn't about BB code in and of itself. It is about what the Xenforo authors have done to protect 99.9% of the population from having to use BB code. That involves Javascript and some of the later web technologies that aren't fully supported in outdated browsers.
  1. The earliest version of Wnidows I still have running is W2K. It was great in it's day.
Given some memory, it may well be the fastest version of Windows ever. That said, museum pieces belong in museums and head-to-head tests to demonstrate what's wrong with modern operating systems.
  1. I have an unfortunately dead computer that still runs W95 and originally came with a 1GB disk. It has a MB-limited max memory which back then was 28MB. I believe W95 could run in 8MB. It was amazing how much we could do in so little memory.
Windows 95 OSr2 (the best version of Windows 95) would run in 4MB but as with most Windows versions, double the minimum is always much better.

Back then, most Windows programs were largely DOS programs than ran on the bare hardware with a somewhat primative graphics subsystem slapped on top. Subsequent versions of Windows involve lots of Hardware Abstraction Layers and Virtual Machines to that the programs will run on non-x86 hardware (ARM, IA64). These devices make broader hardware compatibility possible but they create a significant burden on the hardware to "emulate" something unfamiliar. There have also been many not particularly well thought out choices (like using 16 bit character sets) that have increased memory and storage requirements. Don't get me started on the Windows Registry.

My choice would be Debian (stable). But here is a list of some others.
Debian is getting much too fat to run on modest machines. The minimum requirements are something I might try only without a GUI on a dual core machine.

Puppy Linux (600MHz, 256MB) is a much better starting point as it defaults to a lightweight GUI. Lubuntu is a little more mainstream for those who need access to more powerful applications software.