Not open for further replies.

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Is it just me or is the site running really slow today? :confused:

I noticed it earlier this afternoon and just came back and it seems even slower now. I'm not having problems anywhere else...just on SatGuys.

I wasn't home yesterday but today it is fine for me.

Thats strange, still really bad for me today. Takes upwards of 20-30 seconds delay on any click to navigate around or for posts to open. I'm currently running in the 4-4.5MB range on connection speed, and other sites are working fine...only having problems here for some reasons.

Edit: there appears to be a bit of a bottleneck between here and there. I attached the results of a tracert, if they are of any help.

Attachments

• bottleneck.jpg
    bottleneck.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 128
There are two problems I see,

One with your ISP's handoff to the real internet.

Second it appears you have some sort of spyware on your machines, because as you notice its taking you to searchportal.information.com at 204.213.161.121 satelliteguys is 65.99.220.89.

Second it appears you have some sort of spyware on your machines, because as you notice its taking you to searchportal.information.com at 204.213.161.121 satelliteguys is 65.99.220.89.

That part had me thinking spyware too, but so far all scanners show me clean. Guess I'll be digging a little deeper when I get more time. thanks anyways!

Scott,
I'm having an awful time too with SatGuys. Yesterday and today. Like 30 seconds to change a page. I've completely "cleaned" my machine with Norton's and "PC Pitstop Exterminate". Other sites I've checked zip by fine, so far it's just this site that's running slow - real slow.
Walt

You should do a tracert like DWS44 did as the server is running really well. :)

Here it is but I really don't know what to look for or how to interpret it. I guess green is good but I see # 12 doesn't look so hot.

Anywho, you know me Scott, I don't really understand this sort of thing very well, I just know right now it's petty tedious moving around SatGuys. I just tried a few other sites and I zip right along.:)
PC Pitstop Trace Route Utility

PC Pitstop's Trace Route utility is a graphical version of the tracert or traceroute command-line program found in Windows and Unix. Using an ActiveX control, the utility sends small "ping" packets from your PC to each hop on the way to an Internet destination that you specify.
Trace Route is particularly useful if you're experiencing problems connecting to a specific site. Simply enter the site below, and the trace will show where performance bottlenecks might be occurring--whether they're at your local provider, the site itself or somewhere in between. Once you discover the source of the problem, you can contact that particular host or provider for more information or to report the problem (see Interpreting Your Results for more on this). For help using the utility or for more information and definitions of the terms used here, see our Help File.
Enter the name or IP address of the site you're trying to reach, then click Trace Route. (For other options, see the Help File.) Name or IP: Look up names of IP addressesPacket size:Reps per hop:Click here for help and instructions.

Your results will appear below: (Please be patient - it may take a minute for the results to start appearing.)
Tracing route to satelliteguys.us (65.99.220.89): Hop
#Avg
msLoss
%GraphAddress11710.102.0.129172.20.144.131812.125.39.77413212.123.40.162 (gbr1.cb1ma.ip.att.net)56312.122.5.53 (tbr1.cb1ma.ip.att.net)66012.122.10.22 (tbr2.n54ny.ip.att.net)76212.122.10.54 (tbr2.wswdc.ip.att.net)87012.122.9.149 (tbr1.wswdc.ip.att.net)96312.122.10.30 (tbr1.sl9mo.ip.att.net)106612.122.10.90 (tbr2.dlstx.ip.att.net)116412.122.100.6912*1000.0.0.01365216.52.191.94 (border4.tge4-1-bbnet2.ext1.dal.pnap.net)1469216.52.189.10 (colo4dallas-3.border4.ext1.dal.pnap.net)1561206.123.64.381670206.123.64.98176565.99.220.89 (satelliteguys.us)

Edit: Well that sure didn't come out right, I guess cut and paste won't work.

Last edited:
Thats strange, still really bad for me today. Takes upwards of 20-30 seconds delay on any click to navigate around or for posts to open. I'm currently running in the 4-4.5MB range on connection speed, and other sites are working fine...only having problems here for some reasons.

Edit: there appears to be a bit of a bottleneck between here and there. I attached the results of a tracert, if they are of any help.

you misspelled satelliteguys.us is your tracert. you used saTTeLiteguys.

Ok, hopefully this trace route will be more informative.

Like I said, SatGuys is the only site currently giving me this problem. It takes at least half a minute or more to change pages.

TraceSatGuys.jpg

This is so tedious even trying to respond to you guys. It takes half a minute to even get into a reply sindow.:(

Anyway, just got off online chat with charter and that was a real bust. He said something about rebooting my modem and clearing cookies. I told him I had already tried all that, cleared cache, etc.

Then he asked me if I could access the charter web site. I calmly replied that it would be hard to be having this chat session if I couldn't:D.

Then he wanted me to "bypass" my router. Of course I'm in over my head on this but I told him my router and modem are all one unit and I have no idea how to "bypass" any of it. He recommended I call telephone tech support. He didn't want to see the trace route or anything.

I really don't know what to tell these guys when I call.

I haven't been over to DBSTalk in months but I popped over there and was able to bounce around quite fast. Same with all the other sites I tried.

I have seen some issues with the in-line content advertising. Sometimes it takes a while to load the page. Not as long as 30 seconds, but this site does run much slower than most. Too much advertising at times.

Norton's is not much a spyware tool and most of those free spyware programs are junk. I went through every FREE program out there to get rid of a problem on my sons machine. Only one program both found and removed the offending program.

PCtools Spyware Doctor

Last edited:

I'm most definitely not the IT type of guy, but does it matter that he typed in the wrong website for his trace report? "Sattelite" vs. "satellite"?

EDIT: ok...saw that Korsjs already posted that fact....LOL

Last edited:
Walt does not see ads as hes a supporter. :)

I also tried logging off this site which clears cookies too. Of course on my next visit, it came up with all the ads, which took 45 seconds. I then logged in, which took a long time and came to this thread. Just now, it took 25 seconds to load this reply window.

Not sure what to do next. I know this has happened before but I can't remember what solved the problem. One of the downsides of senility I guess.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.