Six months from launch: no final hw, no PS3 devkits

weird spin because some say it matters and some say it does not and they went through this with the xbox 360. i am hoping that ps3 gets delayed until after christmas. that would make my day.

While THQ is waiting, other publishers don't seem too concerned. Both Activision and Electronic Arts have been working with the development kits as is. "While we may not have the final, final hardware, we know what the processor's capacity is,'' explained Activision CEO Robert Kotick. "We have active development under way.'' Added EA president Paul Lee: "We're happy with the development kits."

I doubt it matters much.

vurbano said:
While THQ is waiting, other publishers don't seem too concerned. Both Activision and Electronic Arts have been working with the development kits as is. "While we may not have the final, final hardware, we know what the processor's capacity is,'' explained Activision CEO Robert Kotick. "We have active development under way.'' Added EA president Paul Lee: "We're happy with the development kits."

I doubt it matters much.

Perhaps because you don't know too much about development.

It does. Without knowing the final spec it is impossible to optimize your game. EA and Activision most likely haven't hit this phase yet - but the clock is ticking for Sony...

Kevinw said:
EA will most likely put out some half- finished product like they did for the 360 giving the PS3 some titles at launch.

Even though I do think EA is the most evil publisher/developer company and even their stuff is often pretty crappy quality as you have just said, I have to admit that Ubisoft is the all-time King of Shittiest Coded Games.

1) EA doesn't nead final hardware, they can get the game ready on 360 and port the code rather quickly. Their first gen ps3 games will dwarf what they shat upon the 360...

2) Who didn't think sony would rush their launch lineup? They don't need to have knockout games in the first batch when they will have such limited quantities.

3) As long as they have 2-3 good games, they're fine. These are launch lineups, they're designed to lure the average gamer with the graphics when they walk past the display while doing their christmas shopping. You think someone really thought fantavision was a game that was going to start a revolution? c'mon...

4) If sony didn't think they could hit launch (in terms of hardware), they wouldn't have announced the price and/or date. They'd have been more vague until we're closer. They had nothing to gain with the date or the price. I think they saw that even though Microsoft isn't #1, and has a bad "ooh, teh suxx" reputation from average gamers, they put out a limited number of consoles, in a dual configuration that was disgusting, and the gamers still lined up in DROVES to shell out the cash and it wasn't nearly as bad in reality as it seemed like it was going to be on paper. Sony is good at copying others, take a look at that hacked up controller they showed you for more proof.

5) I can't stop thinking about barbarella...

Sony doesn't really have to worry that much about launch line-up as the PS3 is backwards compatible with all PS2 games, and I think they have a few big name PS2 games coming out in the Fall, close to the PS3 launch, such as Final Fantasy 12 & God of War 2.

Yeah but you can't really think that way. Nobody's going to shell out $600 to play PS2 games that they can already play...

God of War 2 should be a ps3 game, it would sell the system by itself. How they made this gaff I'll never understand. It would be like releasing halo 3 for xbox 1...

jollygrunt said:
Sony doesn't really have to worry that much about launch line-up as the PS3 is backwards compatible with all PS2 games, and I think they have a few big name PS2 games coming out in the Fall, close to the PS3 launch, such as Final Fantasy 12 & God of War 2.

1. PS3 is not 100% backward compatible. Some will run fine, some won't.

2. If Sony is banking on PS2 games for PS3, then PS3 is already dead.;)

I don't think they're banking on ps2 games on ps3, but they have many millions of ps2 people they have to make happy. If it helps get them to buy a ps3, sony will appeal to them

Purogamer said:
I don't think they're banking on ps2 games on ps3, but they have many millions of ps2 people they have to make happy. If it helps get them to buy a ps3, sony will appeal to them

Again, I don't really see why would anybody rush to buy a PS3 to play PS2 games...?:confused: I especially can't get it in a case of a PS2 owner, let alone the fact that Sony is promising only partial backward compatibility.

Sony isn't promising anything, they're not saying it's 100% but they aren't saying much else than that. Could be 99.9%, could be 75%, nobody knows right now so we can't really knock them for that yet...

If you've got 50 ps2 games, and you can keep playing them on your ps3, it's a nice feeling for a lot of people. Nobody likes buying a new system and only having 1-2 games for it anymore. If they buy a couple of launch games, and they're kind of sh!tty (gee whiz, imagine that...overpriced games and they're piss-poor), they can have something to fall back on without having to disconnect their new console and put the old one back, and without having to hope their old ps2 laser still works...

Most people who still play PSone games do it on their ps2, they don't have the playstation hooked up to the tv...Probably the only reason they pull out the PSone games from time to time, because it's not a terrible inconvenience to do so (get behind the tv, disconnect ps2, connect psone, undo it all when you're finished).

Same with xbox. Any 360 owner who wants to play halo 1 again is putting it into the 360 instead of hooking up the old xbox...unless it's on their xbox hard drive but that's a whole different ball of wax...

Go out and buy a 360, then you won't have to wonder what is coming for PS 3. :D

Joking aside, anyone that wants a PS3, don't concern yourself with stuff that won't effect you in the long run. PS3 will have a line-up of games, perhaps delayed but seriously, what isn't, it can't be any worse than the 360's launch, and for those PS only people out there it won't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts