Skew question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Is the +5 VDC for the skew connection on the back of a 4DTV supposed to be a constant 5 volts? I think thats what may have ruined my servo.

Is the +5 VDC for the skew connection on the back of a 4DTV supposed to be a constant 5 volts? I think thats what may have ruined my servo.

No.
+5VDC is enabled when you skew, to power the servo, then when you stop skewing it is disabled - like a light switch!

So do you think the +5 out being constantly on destroyed my old servo? What would cause it?

I'm no electronics expert but I can tell you this, I had my 920 slaved to my AZBox Ultra as a means to move my dish and to manage polarity changes and the 920 will default to either H or V polarity (don't know exactly which) with the 920 power off. I tried turning power off on the 920 and depending on which polarity I was watching on the AZbox I lost all video. It will work with the 920 off on one polarity but not the other, which tells me that "some" power is sent to the servo all the time on one of the two polarities.

RE: servo. These things do go bad. I've replaced two on my feedhorn since 1988 so I'm now on my third, which is NOT made by my feedhorn Manufacturer (Chaparral). If you power but can view only ONE polarity then either the wiring is bad or the servo is toast.

I still don’t know why so many people here still choose to go through all this hassle! You lose signal if the analog box is on the wrong channel. You lose signal when the servo flakes out and stops. You lose signal etc...etc... take that antique thing off and replace it with an LNBF. Best move I made with mine!

I'm no electronics expert but I can tell you this, I had my 920 slaved to my AZBox Ultra as a means to move my dish and to manage polarity changes and the 920 will default to either H or V polarity (don't know exactly which) with the 920 power off. I tried turning power off on the 920 and depending on which polarity I was watching on the AZbox I lost all video. It will work with the 920 off on one polarity but not the other, which tells me that "some" power is sent to the servo all the time on one of the two polarities.

RE: servo. These things do go bad. I've replaced two on my feedhorn since 1988 so I'm now on my third, which is NOT made by my feedhorn Manufacturer (Chaparral). If you power but can view only ONE polarity then either the wiring is bad or the servo is toast.

Same here, except I have an OpenBox. I think I have all the motor & skew settings set to off in the OpenBox. Plus my LNB is still the original from 1992 & I get everything C-Band from 87 degrees to 139. But now I've said that, my LNB will probably quit today.

Other incorrect replies notwithstanding, the skew servos are basically the same as the servos used in RC airplanes. They take +5VDC for power, ground, and a pulse width modulated signal that sets the servo position as a function of the pulse width. The +5VDC should be constant and regulated. The pulse output will oscillate between +5 and ground in a square wave. The ground is just that. It's model airplane science, not rocket.....

Anony55 said:
If the analog box is still the master, an LNBF won't fix that one.

Cheers

Yes it will. The analog box positions the dish only. The fta box controls polarity. Been doing it this way for years.

euro...pm sent.
I took the servo off the dish, it must have a bad IC or something in it, because when I flip a channel, it will take 3 seconds for it to flip (should be instant), and after it flips, it will sit there and still flip around (chatter), and sometimes it will just spin, so it is bad.

Other incorrect replies notwithstanding, the skew servos are basically the same as the servos used in RC airplanes. They take +5VDC for power, ground, and a pulse width modulated signal that sets the servo position as a function of the pulse width. The +5VDC should be constant and regulated. The pulse output will oscillate between +5 and ground in a square wave. The ground is just that. It's model airplane science, not rocket.....

Well I learned something new today!
I did not realize this was the setup at all.

I just hooked up a multimeter to the GND and 5volts on the back of my 922 and yes it is always on.

Sorry for the bad info!

I still don’t know why so many people here still choose to go through all this hassle! You lose signal if the analog box is on the wrong channel. You lose signal when the servo flakes out and stops. You lose signal etc...etc... take that antique thing off and replace it with an LNBF. Best move I made with mine!

AGREED! I have another Vbox X and LNBF sitting in the floor now to put in the system I still have the 920 connected to. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can get this done. I've got two systems and one already has the Vbox X and LNBF and I'm with you on the simplicity and how well it works. Others will finally make that move also once they let go the antiquated 4DTV receivers they cling too but for now I'll just help them out when I can. ;-)

euro...pm sent.
I took the servo off the dish, it must have a bad IC or something in it, because when I flip a channel, it will take 3 seconds for it to flip (should be instant), and after it flips, it will sit there and still flip around (chatter), and sometimes it will just spin, so it is bad.
Servos that act like this are an old story. The cure is to connect a 500 to 1000 ufd/ 35V t0 50V electrolytic capacitor across the power leads out at the servo, not at your receiver. Radio Shack will have one. It has worked for me twice. Try it.

Dale

Lone Gunman said:
AGREED! I have another Vbox X and LNBF sitting in the floor now to put in the system I still have the 920 connected to. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can get this done. I've got two systems and one already has the Vbox X and LNBF and I'm with you on the simplicity and how well it works. Others will finally make that move also once they let go the antiquated 4DTV receivers they cling too but for now I'll just help them out when I can. ;-)

All the 4DTVs can control an LNBF too. :)

All the 4DTVs can control an LNBF too. :)

Yeah I had seen that menu on my 920 but since I'm not going to sub, why bother. I may use the 920 to tweak the LNBF after it's mounted but after that it will be AZBox Ultra and a Vbox X to move that 10 footer. ;-)

At some point down the road I "might" decided that I want to pay for TV again but the way it stands now, I haven't had a sub since last October and I really haven't missed it. What few programs I want to see are generally available streaming online.

Lone Gunman said:
At some point down the road I "might" decided that I want to pay for TV again but the way it stands now, I haven't had a sub since last October and I really haven't missed it. What few programs I want to see are generally available streaming online.

Ahh to stream.... just a dream. Only dial-up internet here. :(

Ahh to stream.... just a dream. Only dial-up internet here. :(

Brother I feel your pain!! I just got off dialup two years ago when I got a USB data card that connects to a cell tower less than 2 miles from me. It's kinda expensive @ $43 a month with taxes but it's also an UNLIMITED connection so I can download as much stuff as I want. They don't offer this plan any more but I'm grandfathered in. My USB card is connected to a Cradlepoint router and it provides service for all the computers on my LAN.

If you have 3 or 4 bars on your cell phone you could probably use a data card also and nTelos has the best deal on them with a 5GB per month connection for $40 and if you want to double it you can get a 10GB connection for $50 a month. I believe they have a 30 trial deal also as well as NO contract service too.

Yes it will. The analog box positions the dish only. The fta box controls polarity. Been doing it this way for years.

Yep, it'll work hooked up that way. Do you slave signal back to your analog receiver so that you can still get analog channels, or do you still bother with analog signals? I do like still having analog capabilities... every once in a while, I still get an analog wildfeed of my favorite team (but not very often, lol).

I've considered doing the LNBF or Ortho thing before. But I've got a lot of stuff slaved off of the 922. And it would be hard to choose between the HTPC & the Openbox S9 for the role of the new master. Plus, giving up skew control means a little sacrifice on AMC-1. I'll still probably end up doing it someday, but for now, I still wanna see how the 4DTV plays out.

It sure would be nice if Sadoun or someone would go ahead and develope a V/G-Box with skew control.

Cheers

PS; I also feel your dial-up pain. At least I have high-speed at work. But no streaming for me @ home.

Anony55 said:
Yep, it'll work hooked up that way. Do you slave signal back to your analog receiver so that you can still get analog channels, or do you still bother with analog signals? I do like still having analog capabilities... every once in a while, I still get an analog wildfeed of my favorite team (but not very often, lol).

I have 2 buds. The 10ft is for dvb signals and the 7.5ft is driven by the 920 and has all my DCII stuff running off it so it can see analog on the 920.
The 10ft is driven by my old Toshiba TRX-120 but it just moves the dish, it's not connected to receive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts