Its time for a change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
What do you think it would take for a new c band receiver to be developed? One that does HD and DVR, and lets us subscribe to pay channels like a 4DTV.

C Band itself is great, while a pizza dish goes out in heavy rain, c-band is not prone to rain fade and I have used a c-band dish during 40mph wind gusts in a super-soaker rain fall.

The 4DTV was a good idea, and had a great purpose, but I think more could be done with c-band if there was a large push to develop a HD DVR c-band receiver.

I know the amount of 4DTV subs is falling. Its not because of the dish itself, its the receiver. Alot of people don't want to stay stuck in the stone age with a SD only receiver that has no way of internal recording.

What do you think it would take for a new c band receiver to be developed? One that does HD and DVR, and lets us subscribe to pay channels like a 4DTV.

C Band itself is great, while a pizza dish goes out in heavy rain, c-band is not prone to rain fade and I have used a c-band dish during 40mph wind gusts in a super-soaker rain fall.

The 4DTV was a good idea, and had a great purpose, but I think more could be done with c-band if there was a large push to develop a HD DVR c-band receiver.

I know the amount of 4DTV subs is falling. Its not because of the dish itself, its the receiver. Alot of people don't want to stay stuck in the stone age with a SD only receiver that has no way of internal recording.

Nielsen finds that 80 percent of TV viewing still in standard definition

The evil company Motorola could care less about cbanders. I highly doubt any HD receiver will ever be built for 4dtv.

1- 4096 was shut down
2- They (mot) wants too much money

With that said if comcast/mot/SRL find a way to auth on more then one bird perhaps. I am not holding my breath. I think what you will see is MPEG4 receivers with CI slots finally come to life in the states.

I think what you will see is MPEG4 receivers with CI slots finally come to life in the states.

I unfortunately don't really expect to see that happen either. The C-Band industry has been abandoned. The smaller dish crew have done a good job of building receivers with all of those PVR, timer, guide functions in them, and have got the majority if C-Banders woo'd over to their evil small dish services. I don't think that we'll see any new C-Band programmers coming on board any time soon (or maybe ever..). C-Band I think has gone full circle from being a hobbiest activity, to mainstream, and back to the hobbiest. I think that we'll see some pretty neat FTA receivers coming soon, like the "Manhattan" that I keep hearing Mike Kohl talking about, but I personally don't think that we'll see any new C-Band subscriptions services any time in the near future.

So far the Manhatten is all smoke and mirrors.

If you go to their website they make it sound like the receiver is shipping which is not true.

I hope Mike Kohl does not blow his credibility on this Manhatten receiver and knowing Mike he usually does not pump something up unless it is for real.. so I have my fingers crossed that it is for real.

Do far nothing since it doesn't exist yet.

But based what I know of it it may be like the openbox.

I do know I would love to review one when they become available.

Unless these others like the Openbox or Manhattan can decode a 4:2:2 dvb s2 signal, like a network on 89w uses, the Azbox is, and will remain, in a class by itself. Like comparing apples and oranges people!

Fordstar

I was looking on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and noticed a Motorola DSR 530-F in the listings. I did some research and discovered that Ford had a training network which used these units. The Fordstar HD-PVR appears to be identical to the unit that Shawdirect uses.

Perhaps I am missing something here but why are we using 10-15 year old antiquated receivers when Motorola is able to furnish Ford with HD-PVR receivers for a training network?

I contacted Shaw and they would not authorize the unit, which tells me that these were not part of their network.

Manhattan

The Manhattan receiver is intereting and if you do a internet search the company shows that they have quite a line of products. Maybe it is all Wishful thinking.
What is this about ABC HD on WE4 - 608 that is on my guide. Comes up as unsubscribed.

Unless these others like the Openbox or Manhattan can decode a 4:2:2 dvb s2 signal, like a network on 89w uses, the Azbox is, and will remain, in a class by itself. Like comparing apples and oranges people!

That's true for people wanting a "one box" solution. But the Openbox is reported to blindscan faster than the AZ Box. I have the Openbox, but not the AZ... so I can't confirm first hand that this is true. But I can confirm that the Openbox is fast & sensitive... and inexspensive.

For us HTPC users that just need a blindscanner for feeding TP info to their HTPCs... the Openbox is a good solution. For a "one box" solution, the AZ is the way to go.

BTW, there's usually a lot of NCAA basketball that's 4:2:2 in addition to the NBC stuff you eluded to. I'm not real sure why they use 4:2:2 for basketball more than they do football... but it sure seems like they do.

4:2:2 is definitely a nice capability to have.

Cheers

With my current equipment, I can receive just about any signal up there. I can do DVB S2 with my CS8000, and my Digitrans will do 4:2:2. I cannot do both in one signal though, so the Azbox will be my next purchase. No offense to those that do, but I have no desire to use a computer to watch TV! :)

As for the original topic, we may never see a consumer C-band subscription box again. We have the pizza dish people to thank for that. The average "Joe Sixpack" doesn't care about quality, just that it's simple to use. Add the fact of the large dish, and maintenance, and the odds are stacked against us. :(

stecle said:
I was looking on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and noticed a Motorola DSR 530-F in the listings. I did some research and discovered that Ford had a training network which used these units. The Fordstar HD-PVR appears to be identical to the unit that Shawdirect uses.

Perhaps I am missing something here but why are we using 10-15 year old antiquated receivers when Motorola is able to furnish Ford with HD-PVR receivers for a training network?

I contacted Shaw and they would not authorize the unit, which tells me that these were not part of their network.

They have $$$ I would bet they spent crazy money my guess around $2500 per receiver. Kind of like what they get for their radios from police depts. It's Not that they will not make us a new receiver it's that no companie aka srl has the capital.

The change is coming.

I'm not going to let c-band die, not on my watch.

I contacted chaparral, the people who make ku and c band lnbs and feedhorns, about making a 3 satellite c-band lnb, to get DC2 services from the 101,103, and 105 west c band satellites.

The dish, will be made of steel, aluminum or fiberglass, have not decided yet, or the manufacture.

The receiver, will be made by Cisco systems, or some other company.

The system will get DC2 service from 3 satellites. The main advantage being c-band, which doesn't go out in heavy rain or storms like the ku pizza dishes too.

I'm still going to spend along time developing this, and collaborating with SRL to open up more DC2 programming, and either having SRL or someone else be the programming provider.

This will be the 1st major moon-step into developing a HD DVR c band satellite system to breath new life into c band satellite TV. I hope to get more people active in this too.

It's also going to be nice because people who don't have alot of tech skill will be able to buy the system (cost is estimated at $1000-$1200) and install it themselves, and simply run a coax cable.

To make things even easier I would like to have a green, yellow and red led on the lnb, the user just puts the dish on the proper elevation, and sweeps the dish across the sky by hand until it goes from red, to green, having peaked the dish.

Stay Tuned!

coinmaster32 said:
I'm not going to let c-band die, not on my watch.

I contacted chaparral, the people who make ku and c band lnbs and feedhorns, about making a 3 satellite c-band lnb, to get DC2 services from the 101,103, and 105 west c band satellites.

The dish, will be made of steel, aluminum or fiberglass, have not decided yet, or the manufacture.

The receiver, will be made by Cisco systems, or some other company.

The system will get DC2 service from 3 satellites. The main advantage being c-band, which doesn't go out in heavy rain or storms like the ku pizza dishes too.

I'm still going to spend along time developing this, and collaborating with SRL to open up more DC2 programming, and either having SRL or someone else be the programming provider.

This will be the 1st major moon-step into developing a HD DVR c band satellite system to breath new life into c band satellite TV. I hope to get more people active in this too.

It's also going to be nice because people who don't have alot of tech skill will be able to buy the system (cost is estimated at $1000-$1200) and install it themselves, and simply run a coax cable.

To make things even easier I would like to have a green, yellow and red led on the lnb, the user just puts the dish on the proper elevation, and sweeps the dish across the sky by hand until it goes from red, to green, having peaked the dish.

Stay Tuned!

Sign me up!

As for the original topic, we may never see a consumer C-band subscription box again.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we may never see...I would go a step further and say we will never see a consumer C-band subscription box again. IMO, what we have on HITS right now, that's all we're ever going to get. So far, I haven't subbed to a thing, and not planning to, unless someone gives us a better selection. I know what some might be thinking...well you're not supporting CBand..we need the numbers so they might change their minds. I supported CBand subscription for years...at one time my programming was around 330 bucks a quarter. Look where my support got me. It didn't change a thing. No, until HITS does better with it's current selection, then I'm just not interested in wasting money on chs I would rarely watch. But if all those combomode SD feeds were offered..I'd sub in a heartbeat..even if I had to purchase things in a bigger package. But I'm only one person tho. But the question is, how many out there feel pretty much the same way as me? Perhaps there's thousands, millions even...who would sub if the selection were better. Probably not millions tho, but there could be thousands just like me. Who knows, until someone tries it and finds out?

I wouldn't go as far as saying we may never see...I would go a step further and say we will never see a consumer C-band subscription box again. IMO, what we have on HITS right now, that's all we're ever going to get. So far, I haven't subbed to a thing, and not planning to, unless someone gives us a better selection. I know what some might be thinking...well you're not supporting CBand..we need the numbers so they might change their minds. I supported CBand subscription for years...at one time my programming was around 330 bucks a quarter. Look where my support got me. It didn't change a thing. No, until HITS does better with it's current selection, then I'm just not interested in wasting money on chs I would rarely watch. But if all those combomode SD feeds were offered..I'd sub in a heartbeat..even if I had to purchase things in a bigger package. But I'm only one person tho. But the question is, how many out there feel pretty much the same way as me? Perhaps there's thousands, millions even...who would sub if the selection were better. Probably not millions tho, but there could be thousands just like me. Who knows, until someone tries it and finds out?

I do sub and pledge to sub until the very end, why?

1) No contracts
2) TV is just TV - I do other things when not watching TV and browsing SatGuys :)

I understand what you are saying, I too wish HITS would open the other channels, I don't know what it means to them. There was Hits2Home that provided all of the channels in addition to your cable feed, so why don't they now?

Some people says 4DTV/DSR is hobby, some say it can be mainstream, either way I'll take it, it satisfies me both ways.

The only *real* gripe I have is about Commercial Receivers. I mean, come on, there are no *new* DSRs so why not let me sub whatever damn box that is compatible?

In fact, now I think about it - why not ANY compatible DCII box regardless of intended market.

Just my 2 you-know-whats :)

This is the reply I got.
Because the 3 satellites you mention are only 2 degrees apart from one another, its not possible to eliminate each satellite from interfering with the other on C-band frequencies.
If it was Ku frequencies then we could do something.

Also, you would need to use a large dish, minimum of 7-8 ft diameter and frankly most people don't want these.
Another reason for KU, as you can use small offset dishes at low cost.

Again, the main reason for not using the 3 satellites at 101,103 and 105 without moving the dish is they are too close together and its difficult to separate the signals from interfering with each other.

Duke Fishman
Chaparral Communications

Um...I'm pretty sure I have seen cable TV headends, that had satellite dishes with 3 lnbs on them, and they looked like they were about 2 degrees apart.

and frankly most people don't want these.

I guess the people in the c band thread are not most people. :rolleyes:

Here is my reply to them:
C-Band is kind of a hobby, I agree. But at one time in the mid 90s there was 2.3 million people using a c-band dish for programming, not to mention the people who had a dish just to see what was up there for free, there used to be a lot of in the clear channels back then.

If it is not possible to make a feed horn that is 2 degree compliant, what about one that is 4 degree compliant? Getting fed from the 101w and 105w satellites?

C-Band is far better then Ku, due to not being prone to rain fade. I know why alot of people don't want c-band, and why subscriptions started to fall after the early 2000s, it was because other satellite programming provides started to come out with High Definition channels, and Digital Video Recording, something that was very lacking on c-band.

I think if I can breathe new life into c-band, that makes use of a HD DVR Receiver, a dish that does not need to move, and only one cable needing ran, it would spark new interest in it. Hopefully reaching the 2.3 million subscriber mark, and maybe even surpassing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts