Skew

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aristotle73

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
How much does an incorrect skew setting affect the ability to obtain a lock from a sat?

Fixed or motorized?

Motorized it should be at 0 but fixed (depending on how much) can mean a 0 signal or a decent signal.

As an example, my true south is IA6 (93). If I leave the skew at 0 and I aim to G10 (123) I barely get signal even though I may be aimed right at it. But IA8 (89),. G3 (95), AMC4 (101) I can leave at 0 and be fine.

Extending the original question a bit.... I've been wanting to ask...

While ghetto moving my dish from AMC3 (87w) to IA5 (97w) I see basically no difference trying to peak when I change the skew. (I have an Xtreme II)

In fact if I forget to change the skew it doesn't seem to matter that much. Is this atypical? Is the Xtreme II more forgiving?

I can turn the LNBF almost 10 degrees in either direction and (at least) on the meter in the Classic NA I don't see much difference???

Any thoughts?

Some LNB’s may be a little more forgiving….But also you have to look at how far off of TS you are.

As an example, in Minnesota TS is 93 (IA6) so 97 & 87 are almost at the same elevation as 93. Skew really doesn’t have to be moved. But if I went to SBS6 (74) or G10 (123) then Skew is really important. When I moved my dish from G3 to IA8 (95 to 89) I didn’t see any difference by not skewing.

Ok then my results must be more typical than I thought. I can move 5 degrees EASY and the NA can't even measure the difference.

One of these years, I'm going to borrow a friends Birdog and see if it can see much difference.

thanks

Katrinasucks: I have the same LNBf you do. Could you please clarify whether the LNBf was just more forgiving or if it was just because of your location relative the sat?

Well, I've wondered if it makes much difference that I am so far south. -- AND because I'm waiting on a new motor, I have my dish on a tripod and can only see near TS on the arc.

I don't have the experience to tell you how much each factor effects the performance. Ice is considerably north of me and he has similar results.

My advice for what it is worth (I'm fairly newish) is that skew is not the most critical of the adjustments you can make. (Considering we have the same LNB) get it as close as you can and you will be ok.

You do know the Xtreme II has a kerfunky polarity mark huh? If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's probably your problem. ;-) I'll dig up a link if you need it.

EDIT: http://www.dmsiusa.com/install.htm

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter how far north you are. If our TS is the same (or close) we should get the same results :D

But thanks for the link for the Xtreme II. I noticed its pointed different than other LNB’s I have used.

;-) OK worded poorly... I know skew is not determined by lat but I was wondering if being way south gave me more fudge factor. (ie: dish size in Canada vs here)

I had to run outside and turn my LNBf the other way because it is weird -_- Maybe I'll have better luck with it now.

I am in New Orleans just as Katrinasucks is, and when I re-installed my fixed Channel Master 1 meter dish after Katrina, my skew was off. The single-polarity LNB/feedhorn combo I'm using on that dish must have gotten turned when I took the dish down for Katrina. This dish is fixed at G-10R, which is a good bit west of here. I tweaked skew just a few degrees after noticing a 20 point drop in quality, and I'm now getting the 60% quality on 11720 (V) that I was getting pre-Katrina.

I just tried the Xtreme II on my G10 dish last night. If skew is right, signal good...but if I turn it too far, then picture go bye bye.

My margin of error on G10 seems to be about a plus minus 8 degrees skew.

Iceberg said:
My margin of error on G10 seems to be about a plus minus 8 degrees skew.

FYI- From memory that is real close to what I was getting on my X-Treme II when I was playing with it on IA 5 down here. I might try it later today if I get a minute. All things considered, skew seems to be the most forgiving of the parameters. Trying being plus/minus 8 degrees on Az. :devil:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts