SkyAngel Plans Move to IPTV

Sky Angel seems to have a history of going for the quick fix, rather than long term planning. Lifetime subs are a good example. they sold them whenever they needed quick cash then realized it was costing them too much $ to continue service to them, hence the famous letter!

I think they should have tried to continue DBS while attempting IPTV. They would not have lost subs, would have picked up new ones. Gradually many may have transitioned over to IPTV as old equipment failed, trees grew or hig speed became available. Customers that sky angel loses now will be unlikely to return at a later date.

Huh? :confused: After current subscribers are discarded, Sky Angel will have very limited assets. I doubt anybody would be stupid enough to buy them.

Obviously I don't see their IPTV offering being successful. I'm fairly confident it won't be successful with current customers due to cost or lack of broadband availability. New customers? People already on the net are probably savvy enough to get for free what SA wants to charge us for.

I didn't say the would make a million bucks off it. ;) Only that they will probably sell the programming rights to Neulion (or how ever it is spelled) which will simply integrate the programming into one of their packages, and Johnson Jr. will take what he can get and either focus on his new production company, or simply skip town and do whatever...with his new found money.

He doesn't lose anything, only gain. And that is what it all seems to be about is the money.

Sky Angel seems to have a history of going for the quick fix, rather than long term planning. Lifetime subs are a good example. they sold them whenever they needed quick cash then realized it was costing them too much $ to continue service to them, hence the famous letter!

I think they should have tried to continue DBS while attempting IPTV. They would not have lost subs, would have picked up new ones. Gradually many may have transitioned over to IPTV as old equipment failed, trees grew or hig speed became available. Customers that sky angel loses now will be unlikely to return at a later date.

I won't return, I am enjoying paying nothing a month and look forward to new additions Glorystar will add as time goes on, perhaps more from Skyangel when the stations realize they are going to lose precious viewers.

He doesn't lose anything, only gain. And that is what it all seems to be about is the money.

How do you know that, at least in the context you imply? I think incompetence is a much more likely reason. :)

Brad

Johnson JR has already lost his fathers vision, the respect of many Christians as well as viewers. Money is about all he has left to lose.

How do you know that, at least in the context you imply? I think incompetence is a much more likely reason. :)

Brad

That is why I said seems. ;) Besides, could the lust for money not lead to incompetence? Perhaps this will lead to the downfall, if indeed the original vision has been lost and has been replaced by a quick buck. :confused:

But that is just my humble opinon looking from the outside in. I could be totally off base, it happens once every 5 years or so. :p

That is why I said seems. ;) Besides, could the lust for money not lead to incompetence? Perhaps this will lead to the downfall, if indeed the original vision has been lost and has been replaced by a quick buck. :confused:

But that is just my humble opinon looking from the outside in. I could be totally off base, it happens once every 5 years or so. :p

Perhaps, but I can think of a lot more ways to make money easier than taking over SkyAngel. In fact, I can't see how "making money" and SkyAngel overlap a whole lot at all, which is why I find the accusations as bad as SkyAngel's behavior.

Brad

Skyangel could be a money maker IF the programming was fused into another package and a large family/religious package was offered. Buying Skyangel could have the stipulation that all negotiated contracts between Skyangel and the channels come with the deal.

That would cut a lot of red tape and make for basically a "turn key" pakage if you will.

In other words, could Skyangel make big bucks on it's own, no of course not. But could Skyangel fused into another package that would offer say 50 or 60 family oriented channels together, I think it would have potential.

As far as accusations, I make none, quite honestly I could care less what they do with their company, it is theirs to do as they wish. But it is fun playing arm chair business analyst epescially when the company in question is so secretive.

IPTV slows down the internet connection. So if one person is watching TV and another is on the internet, the connection will be slow. Why would I want that if I can put a dish in the yard and have fast internet and get all the channels I want?

I see IPTV as only being desirable to those living in apartments or condominiums where they do not have the option of putting a dish outside. The IPTV equipment costs about the same as a dish and the monthly fees are about the same. $25/month in Canada! Last I checked the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US.

Glorystar is doing more marketing. I think most Sky Angel subscribers that know about Glorystar will switch to it once Sky Angel quits it DBS service unless DISH comes out with a faith-based package right away.

Shane, I think the idea that IPTV slows down internet is not entirely false, but many people's internet connection bandwidth is entirely sufficient to absorb the needs of IPTV without affecting perceived internet performance.

To give you an idea of what my area is like, I have 6 televisions (on occasion) watching independent channels over IP based distribution, host a small website, have several computers running downloading various interactive contents, kids surfing the net, various internet appliances contacting service providers/etc continually, and I have no problems access additional bandwidth to download the latest copy of XP to my PC over the internet (no affect on tv or other internet usage)

Yes, IPTV bandwidth usage may affect Grandma on her dialup account or Uncle Jed on his 128mbps telco DSL line, but if people in a town the size of mine (under 11,000) have access to 15meg up/down over fiber, then I'd say a large majority of the fluent US has access to such bandwidth.

That being said, I do think that paying the prices they are asking + equipment fees will be a killer. With the existing FTA offerings, the only people that I see them pulling into IPTV will either be those without the capability to move over to FTA (for whatever reason), those who do not hear about FTA offerings, and those who desire content that is only available through the IPTV offering (and maybe a handful that are lured in by the On-Demand stuff from IPTV)

I now have 15 M down speed, sufficient enough to handle many things. I agree IPTV was tough to think of when I was at slower speeds, but with Fios it now becomes conceivable. I will not be going for SkyAngel's offering though. If I was going to do anything, God TV (Welcome to GOD.TV) looks better.

Brad

I haven't made a decision about IPTV yet, but I did ply an Insight technician with my questions -- and he said there should be no problems at all with my I'net service if I choose to go with the IPTV.

I would hate to buy the equipment and find out he was wrong about its afect on your internet service

I would hate to buy the equipment and find out he was wrong about its afect on your internet service

Ditto. I spoke with an IT guy and he said IPTV would kill our download time and hog bandwidth. He said it was a very bad idea for me.

I'm wondering if SA was so sure that the majority of subscribers were going to immediatly go over to IPTV when given the first info about it, that they banked on having a huge pool of subscribers when they ceased satellite transmission. I think they are getting so few people over to IPTV that they are dragging their feet until they get enough subscribers to keep them afloat without satellite customers. If they had enough now, I have a huntch we would not have SA signal as we speak. I'm not convinced we will get information BEFORE the signal ceases. Maybe the day before, but not months before.

Has anyone noticed that several SA channels have websites advertising SA? I wonder how many know of the impending change.

signal, advertising

As for not getting notice I would still disagree. mainly becauce anyone not online has NO idea that they are even offering IPTV and cancelling DBS. I am guessing 2 months notice as sky angel will not want any down time regarding incoming payments. they will need enough time to process orders and ship out equipment.

sa to the advertising I noticed it on TLN and contacted them to let them know my toughts as well as suggesting they read this forum. I let them know I would not be switching to IPTV as well. so far no resonse :(

I will bet SkyAngel is struggling to survive at all. I bet we will ultimately find out they had a lot less money than anyone believed, even with all the cost increases and $5 for the extra channels.

Brad

I *wish* everyone had 15 meg up/down fiber service! I live in a town of over 50,000 people and we do not have it. And since we are in an at&t area, not Verizon - we probably won't get that speed for a while. Granted, we're getting U-Verse, but fiber to the home, it is not.

I *wish* everyone had 15 meg up/down fiber service! I live in a town of over 50,000 people and we do not have it. And since we are in an at&t area, not Verizon - we probably won't get that speed for a while. Granted, we're getting U-Verse, but fiber to the home, it is not.

It is only 2 M up, but that seems sufficient for me now. :)

It is also the only choice.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts