SKYWAY INSTALLERS - Input Please.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
Hey Guy's... I was contacted by Skyway today via over the phone. Don't know how they got my number but aside from that, They asked if I would be willing to do installs for them at $100 plus mileage. I asked for info and they emailed me a bunch of docs (W9, direct deposit, agreement and more).

Has anyone installed for them? Any input would be appreciated. I have been burned B4 and would not want to go through that again.

Thanks!

And you risk getting burned again. Call Skyway Retail Services at (800) 344-0617 and ask how much your starting hardware inventory will cost, and how many systems you have to install to remain eligible for wholesale pricing.

//greg//

And you risk getting burned again. Call Skyway Retail Services at (800) 344-0617 and ask how much your starting hardware inventory will cost, and how many systems you have to install to remain eligible for wholesale pricing.

//greg//

Hey Greg, Thanks for the reply.
I'm confused :confused:
They will require me to have on hand inventory? Like dish's, Modems and the like?.
I thought the dish's and modem is shipped to the customer and I would just get scheduled to do the installation. Then bill Skyway for the job complete. No?

I guess you might be referring to being a retailer, I am just an installer.

Thanks!

What they may do instead of you keeping inventory is mailing systems directly to customers when they order. This has good and bad benefits. As a installer for Metron "remember them?" I have had experience with this. What you will run into sometimes is the customer opening the boxes and kids playing with the equipment etc, and the worst thing is if you have a bad or missing part most likely you will not have a replacement.

If i were you i would be real careful dealing with that bunch. I got jacked around by them. I'm really wanting to say there not worth messing with. Skyway systems are really meant to be installed by the customer and not intended for Professional installation. There really won't be a lot of work from them and it probably won't be worth the trouble. Just my 2 cents worth take it as you will.

What they may do instead of you keeping inventory is mailing systems directly to customers when they order. .
Well, this is partially correct. Understand things may changed after the last time Skyway was heavily criticized for their policy. That's why I suggested the OP phone them to get the current version.

At that time, customers would order and pay for Skyway online. Those that elected self-install received the systems direct. Those that elected (and paid for) professional install didn't. Instead, SkyWay sent a fulfillment order to an installer somewhere in the vicinity of the buyers ZIP code. Some installers have reported getting orders to install as far as 350 miles away. Anyway, the installer was expected to take one of his pre-paid SkyWay systems to the location - and install it. The installer fee was eventually received in one of two forms: (a) a SkyWay check, or (b) payment against outstanding on-hand inventory requirements.

Again, understand this may since have changed. But after that kind of relationship was revealed in the past, I thought it best for the OP to call and find out himself how they're doing it today.

//greg//

I have installed 3 of them for DDI
Been paid for 2
And only after badgering them for months - and they needed another install done

I still haven't been paid for last one in July

Be very wary of dealing with DDI, unless you like working for free...

They contacted me a few times wanting me to retail for them. They required five systems on hand. They also required the customers to have a credit card and an internally installed modem in a desktop. Told them no thanks because I am not keeping systems on hand, no local dialup number, not installing internal modems, and a lot of people around here dont have credit cards. Later they have external modem, and have local dialup number. Still no deal because even though I sent them paperwork they said they never got it. Then I got an email from them again and told them I done tried before enough times. I still think they require you to maintain 5 systems in stock. Don't know what the demand is but I see some of their dishes up now. People that get these were too cheap to pay me even $50 to do an install so heck with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts