Slaving Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrunch

Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
I've looked here on the forums for answers to these questions, but I can't seem to find them, so here goes:

I'm trying to slave an Uniden Supra analog IRD to my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra DVB receiver, and having no luck. I put a DC block on the signal out connector on the Fortec between the two receivers. I understand that I set the satellite and polarity with the Fortec (current transponder), but still no love. Answers to these questions may help me:

1. Does anyone know of a hot analog KU feed I can try to lock onto?

2. When I plug in the video and audio out cables from the Uniden, do I need to make sure they are going into a television set on which I have the channel correctly set (to channel 3 or 4)? [I only have video-in connections left on my set, and they have no tuner, so setting them to 3 or 4 is impossible.]

3. Do I set the Fortec on 'standby', 'on', or completely off to have the signal pass through to the Uniden?

4. Am I correct in guessing that the skew set on the Uniden has no effect, having already been taken care of by the Fortec?

5. Are there very few analog KU transponders active out there anymore?

6. Does having the correct satellite name set in the Uniden have any effect (I'm guessing no.)? Shouldn't I simply be able to find a satellite with a similar frequency layout and call that satellite, and then fine tune the frequency? [Obviously, the satellites have changed almost completely from when this receiver was made.]

7. Is there anything else I'm missing? (Obviously, I'm missing something....)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I've looked here on the forums for answers to these questions, but I can't seem to find them, so here goes:

I'm trying to slave an Uniden Supra analog IRD to my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra DVB receiver, and having no luck. I put a DC block on the signal out connector on the Fortec between the two receivers. I understand that I set the satellite and polarity with the Fortec (current transponder), but still no love. Answers to these questions may help me:
I use to use one of them :D

1. Does anyone know of a hot analog KU feed I can try to lock onto?
AMC9 (83W) Tranponder 19 (H polarity) is usually a test card

2. When I plug in the video and audio out cables from the Uniden, do I need to make sure they are going into a television set on which I have the channel correctly set (to channel 3 or 4)? [I only have video-in connections left on my set, and they have no tuner, so setting them to 3 or 4 is impossible.]
If you’re using the AV cables, you would turn the TV to input or A/V

3. Do I set the Fortec on 'standby', 'on', or completely off to have the signal pass through to the Uniden?
I always have it on

4. Am I correct in guessing that the skew set on the Uniden has no effect, having already been taken care of by the Fortec?
correct

5. Are there very few analog KU transponders active out there anymore?
During the day…yes…weekends there are lots more

6. Does having the correct satellite name set in the Uniden have any effect (I'm guessing no.)? Shouldn't I simply be able to find a satellite with a similar frequency layout and call that satellite, and then fine tune the frequency? [Obviously, the satellites have changed almost completely from when this receiver was made.]
I use to use Galaxy 7 for most satellites…SBS6 was the oddball

7. Is there anything else I'm missing? (Obviously, I'm missing something....)
Make sure the analog is set up for KU band and the frequency is right. The TP I gave above is at 12080 H polarity…if the frequency is off, it won’t work right.

Thanks for the tips, Iceberg.

I can see the Uniden menus, so I'm guessing my video-in setup is okay. My Fortec is bringing in the digital transponders just fine, so I know I'm aimed in the right direction (dish is motorized).

I was trying to get the exact transponder you mentioned last night, but had no luck. What do I need to do to the Uniden to make sure it's set up for KU? I changed the setting that lets me flip to the KU satellites, and the frequencies are up in the KU range when I go to "Tune", or whatever it is (I don't have the remote in front of me now.).

Might I have a dud Uniden (at least as far as KU) on my hands?

ok...reading this off manual :)

(this part isnt)
make sure you are aimed at AMC9 and are on a H tranponder....doesnt even have to have a digital signal

(ok this part is...each line is a step to do on the remote :))
menu
(password)...defualt is 3573
4 (RF Configure)
KU band needs to be "Single"...I turn C band off
menu to store it
1 porgram a satellite
hit c/ku button to be on KU
Scroll to Galaxy 7 (or Galaxy 1, etc)
Call
tune to channel 19
enter (there will be a box next to the satellite you had)
view kicks you out of menu

make sure the frequency is 12080

I have a copy of the manual if you need it. I can e-mail it to you
iceberg@satelliteguys.us is my e-mail

Iceberg:

I will follow your list this evening, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer of manual on PDF. I'd already found it on Uniden's website.

No luck using your fine instructions. Followed all the steps, but still no dice. Snowy views all the way around. Is there some setting I have to make on the Fortec to get the signal to pass through?

it just has to be hooked to the "loop out" of the Fortec and you have to be on a Horizontal transponder to pick up the test card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts