Slimline 3 LNB Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hello,
I live in Clinton, WA (Zip 98236) and have LOS issues to the 119 satellite. The DirecTV tech. who was over 2 weeks back to replace a faulty Multi Switch at that time looked at the LOS issue and told me that I should have no problem with the Slimline 3 LNB dish.

I had then gone ahead and scheduled an Appt. for an upgrade for Oct. 2nd. However, how do I make sure that the Technician who comes over comes with a Slimline 3 LNB dish and not a Slimline 5 LNB dish.

I have been wanting HDTV for over 2 years and really hope that this works for me. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Akshay

P.S: I was just on phone with DTV Customer Service and they told me all they can confirm for me is that the dish is a Slimline dish and is Ka/Ku with a Multiswitch 4 and ODU 36".

Well for One There is No such thing as a 3 LNB Slimline. All slimlines are 5 lnb. It may appear to be a 3 lnb , but the LNB that Directly center of the Dish Had 3 lnbs built in. I believe the 99,101,and 103 are on that one ,then the 110 is the middle LNB and the 119 is the end one.

Well for One There is No such thing as a 3 LNB Slimline. All slimlines are 5 lnb. It may appear to be a 3 lnb , but the LNB that Directly center of the Dish Had 3 lnbs built in. I believe the 99,101,and 103 are on that one ,then the 110 is the middle LNB and the 119 is the end one.

Hemi, you should stay in the E* forums;)

There is a new LNB assembly, the 3LNB that sees only 99, 101 and 103, no more 110 or 119 for folks that don't need those two slots for either internationals of local channels. The dish and the mounts are the same, just a different LNB.

Thanks for the reply.

So is there a way I can call Directv and specifically request for the 3 LNB Slimline dish? I tried talking to Customer service but they were not too sure of what dish i was getting except for a Slimline. I was able to make her understand as to why I needed a 3 LNB dish and not a 5 LNB one but she pretty much told me that I couldnt really get a confirmation back until the guy shows up at my door.

There is a new LNB assembly, the 3LNB that sees only 99, 101 and 103, no more 110 or 119 for folks that don't need those two slots for either internationals of local channels. The dish and the mounts are the same, just a different LNB.

Thanks for the reply.

So is there a way I can call Directv and specifically request for the 3 LNB Slimline dish? I tried talking to Customer service but they were not too sure of what dish i was getting except for a Slimline. I was able to make her understand as to why I needed a 3 LNB dish and not a 5 LNB one but she pretty much told me that I couldnt really get a confirmation back until the guy shows up at my door.
The CSR's really can't do much along those lines, they just say X number of receivers and if a dish is needed or not. What you might want to do is to get them to give you the local installers phone number and call them directly, let them know what you need and why and maybe that will help get what you need.

I just did an install on a friend of mines house that had a phase III dish, and replaced it with a slimline. He was having problems getting the 110 and 119, because of 2 large Trees, He's not an HD subscriber ,but We thought the bigger dish my help.. It didn't!. But the 101 comes in great , I bet the 99 and 103 does too, but He didn't have an HD receiver to confirm. This might be an option for him then. Instead of $750 to remove 2 trees. But he would have to upgrade his equipment to HD. Thats the only thing. Our SD locals are still on the 119

The CSR's really can't do much along those lines, they just say X number of receivers and if a dish is needed or not. What you might want to do is to get them to give you the local installers phone number and call them directly, let them know what you need and why and maybe that will help get what you need.

Thanks mate. I just did that and their Field supervisor is on site right now but is supposed to call me whenever.

One thing the last tech. said though was that my getting a 3 lnb depends on whether the directv warehouse has them or not. This kind of baffled me because isnt that something that should be easy enough to request for them to get in stock?

Thanks.

Thanks mate. I just did that and their Field supervisor is on site right now but is supposed to call me whenever.

One thing the last tech. said though was that my getting a 3 lnb depends on whether the directv warehouse has them or not. This kind of baffled me because isnt that something that should be easy enough to request for them to get in stock?

Thanks.

The 3LNB is fairly new and may still be in a limited release phase. Guess just cross your fingers and hope they have them.

The 3LNB is fairly new and may still be in a limited release phase. Guess just cross your fingers and hope they have them.

Hey rad,

Just got off the phone with their Field Supervisor. Now what he told me did not match up with the Tech. guy who has been coming over for LOS or Installs. He basically said that I am fine with a Slimline 5 LNB and I should get HD no problem except that the only channel I cant get is the NFL Network in HD. That sounds great to me because as much of a fan I am of football I can deal with not getting 1 channel in HD. I will still get NFL Sunday Ticket in HD though.

He also went on about how the DirecTv policies on not doing install for not getting LOS to the 119 satellite has changed since my last Appt. one year back and pretty much told me that I should have no problem getting HD even though I have no LOS to 119.

SO I have my fingers crossed .. :)

Thanks rad.

-Akshay

P.S: Edit --- He did mention that at this time the 3 LNB Slimline is not in stock for them

We have met the enemy and they are us!

Phase I = plain 18" round dish.even though they are a little not round.101 only..1 LNB
Phase II = not round........101 + 110 2LNB
Phase III = not round .....101 + 110 + 119 Para Todos! 3 LNB There was a kit for this for a while
AT9= Sidecar.........Ka/Ku 5 LNB.101 + 110 +119 + 99 + 103......kicked out the door without tech info or sat in orbit (just pretend it is up there)
AU9= Slimline.replacement for AT0...........often confused with the Phase III........pretend you know where the spot beams are.
AND NOW a 3 LNB Ka/Ku3 for the 99 + 101 + 103 confused with many things
+ The International 72 degree dish...........had one around but never installed it, now becoming obsolete

Someone else roll on please,

Joe

Last edited:
We have met the enemy and they are us!

Phase I = plain 18" round dish.even though they are a little not round.101 only..1 LNB
Phase II = not round........101 + 110 2LNB
Phase III = not round .....101 + 110 + 119 Para Todos! 3 LNB There was a kit for this for a while
AT9= Sidecar.........Ka/Ku 5 LNB.101 + 110 +119 + 99 + 103......kicked out the door without tech info or sat in orbit (just pretend it is up there)
AU9= Slimline.replacement for AT0...........often confused with the Phase III........pretend you know where the spot beams are.
AND NOW a 3 LNB Ka/Ku3 for the 99 + 101 + 103 confused with many things
+ The International 72 degree dish...........had one around but never installed it, now becoming obsolete

Someone else roll on please,

Joe

Let's not for get this bad boy. NEW DIRECTV SWM Line 5 LNB Single Wire MultiSwitch HD - eBay (item 230294074947 end time Sep-29-08 15:17:34 PDT)

Joe,
The Internationals are on the sat at 95, not 72 at least last time I checked.

Rockway,
If they are selling the 5 lnb (pictured in the ebay link) for $ 105, you can buy them directly from the site sponsors for $ 99 or less, think I saw $ 89 yesterday.

If anyone does see the 3 lnb Slimlines available, please let me know :)

Jimbo

Not looking Jimbo, just put it out there because the SWM 5 LNB is just another one to add to the list. Thanks. I may have a friend that is looking for the 3lnb though.

There will be a 3lnb slimline coming (without 110/119). I have not heard of any out there yet.

Eventually, D* plans to move internationals from 95 and the lower-market SD locals from 72.5 to either 110/119, eliminating the need for a side-dish or big international dish.

D* has essentailly completed mirroring of the HD stations from 110/119 onto both 99/101. So, you may be fine if you have a 5lnb dish and no line-of-sight for 110/119.

As for the official 3lnb slimline, however, no word on when these will be available mainstream.

That said, they may have strarted rolling-them-out and just not mentioned it :) It is clear that there was one on ebay that ended a week ago.

Well .. I sure am hoping that a 5 LNB dish works without LOS to 110/119. I guess it depends on what the Tech. decides, even though the Field Supervisor pretty much told me that this should work fine.

I have read about a few problems with the guide(s) being on 110/119 and me having problems with that. Are there any workarounds to that?

-Akshay

OK, correct me if wrong, but what I've heard is that with the 5LNB the STB's use guide info from 119 when tuned to a 99 or 103 sat channel, so if you don't get 119 then you have issues with the guide. The new 3LNB Ka/Ku LNB is supposed to get rid of that issue by only using 101 for the guide.

As for the comment about not getting the NFL network, don't know why that would be since the HD channel is on 103 and the SD on 101.

They have the new slimline 3 lnb only in the settings for the dish setup (at least in the latest CEs).

I wonder if you select that dish type it ignores 110/119 - expecting that it won't be there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)