"Slimline" Dish coming soon

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
I talked to an installer today who said his group watched the installation video for the upcoming "Slimline" (5LNB second generation) dish.

Must be coming soon...

I do not see how that will be much different than the current one unless they are going to make it even smaller.

It will be less height, more width, to give the same or slightly better gain value with a lower profile. AND made of a lighter composite material to lessen the weight on the mast or ground mount. What more do we need? Other than 2 or 3 more orbital slots!

Funny as Stargazer has the rumored image as his/her avatar. LOL!

Attachments

• slimline dish.JPG
    slimline dish.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 965
Last edited:
I meant to ask the installer if the Slimline will use the same mounting set up (mast and foot plate) as the AT9.

Anyone know?

Last edited:
Stargazer needs a upgrade

charper1 said:
It will be less height, more width, to give the same or slightly better gain value with a lower profile. AND made of a lighter composite material to lessen the weight on the mast or ground mount. What more do we need? Other than 2 or 3 more orbital slots!

Funny as Stargazer has the rumored image as his/her avatar. LOL!

Yeah he Needs to update to the new non "smudged" version

New Slimline dish

That is awesome the old at9 is bullshiot with that 2 pieces of coax coming from 110 119 lnbs going to the main 101 lnb. I odnt know how many broken coaxes I have replaced!!!

Proc said:
I meant to ask the installer if the Slimline will use the same mounting set up (mast and foot plate) as the AT9.

Anyone know?

it would apear all u'd need to do is remove the dish using the 4 blots to the mount to swap em out

I had to keep adjusting the size of the picture in order for it to accepted as an avatar and it was a pain in the butt. I had the Dish1000 avatar for a while before it came out and now the DirecTv Slimline dish. I've been putting the avatars up of dishes before they are released. Next should be the Dish 500+ and Dish 1000+ if I can get some pictures of those.

What size pole/mast do the DirecTv 5 eye dishes use anyways?

I couldnt get the AT9 dish because the installers stated that the tripod would not support it. Does anyone know if the new AT9 SlimLine dish will be able to be put on a tripod?

dodge said:
That is awesome the old at9 is bullshiot with that 2 pieces of coax coming from 110 119 lnbs going to the main 101 lnb. I odnt know how many broken coaxes I have replaced!!!

The speculation is the 110 and 119 can come off once all the MPEG4 sats are up and running.

Crystal Pepsi Ball said:
I couldnt get the AT9 dish because the installers stated that the tripod would not support it. Does anyone know if the new AT9 SlimLine dish will be able to be put on a tripod?

I think it can be done, since the SlimLine is lighter in weight. I have put the DTV international dishs on tripods before and the AT9 are about the same size as the interantional dishs. just get yourself a 2" pole and some clyinder blocks.

mjones1973 said:
The speculation is the 110 and 119 can come off once all the MPEG4 sats are up and running.
My thoughts have always been that SW1&2 should have been dropped in to those slots and the other decomissioned and brought back. I mean it is not like they "can't" simulcast MPEG2 & 4 without consuming the bandwidth. However, as much as I know, the folks at D* (E* for that matter) know far more than I.

I am glad they are trying to reduce the profile of the dish. I have two friends with big screens who will not switch from cable until an XM or Sirius type and antenna is used ... I let them know they would be dead before that happened. (LOL, and they would have to watch crappy cable until then!!!)

Last edited:
Will DirectTV make a slimeline HDTV Mpeg 4 dish this year? The current one requires a pole and you cant install it on the roof right? Thanks, Craig.

Craiger1 said:
Will DirectTV make a slimeline HDTV Mpeg 4 dish this year? The current one requires a pole and you cant install it on the roof right? Thanks, Craig.

The AT9 and the SlimLine dishes have LNB packs that will both support both Ku and Ka. MPEG4 AVC is codec/compression scheme DirecTV is moving toward. The SlimLine should be out late summer, but by the end of the year I am reading. The AT9 can also be mounted on the roof.

charper1 said:
The AT9 and the SlimLine dishes have LNB packs that will both support both Ku and Ka. MPEG4 AVC is codec/compression scheme DirecTV is moving toward. The SlimLine should be out late summer, but by the end of the year I am reading. The AT9 can also be mounted on the roof.

Cool thanks for the info. Stupid question. Mpeg 4 is HDTV right and you will still be able to get the locals in HD with this new dish?

Last edited:
For now MPEG2 is being used for current HD and MPEG4 is only being used for new HD LIL only - to my knowledge, but down the line, I could see MPEG4 becoming the default scheme.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts