Slimline Dish w/ 1 HD-DVR and 2 HD Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

captprice

Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
I'm moving to a new house and we're adding a third receiver in addition to the 2 we have now (1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver).

Rather than paying for an install, I'm just going to order the third receiver and hook it up myself. Problem is, when DirecTV came out to install the dish the first time at the old house, they didn't use a SWM8. So, I need some help with this. How would I connect it? I did some research and came up with this:

Slimline dish --> SWM8 --> 1x2 SPLITTER --> HD DVR --> HD RECEIVER 1 --> HD RECEIVER 2

Am I on the right track? Where I'm most confused is whether or not I actually need a 1x2 splitter. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

The standard (non-SWM) Slimline dish has 4 outputs, so it will handle the 4 tuners without the need of the SWM8 or splitter. I assume that you have two cables connected to the HD DVR and one to the HD receiver. So just run the fourth line from the dish to the added HD receiver. Now, if you don't want to have two lines to the HD receiver, you'll need the SWM8 connected to the four lines from the dish. The SWM8 has two SWM outputs, so you'll need the 1x2 splitter. If you swap out the LNB on the dish with the SWM LNB then you'll only need a 1x4 splitter to run the three receivers (with one output to spare).

Thanks jdspencer! I didn't realize they sold LNBs with SWM builtin. That seems like the easier option since I have to dismantle the dish and move it with me anyway. So I would take one cable from the 3LNB SWM to a 1x4 splitter, and then a cable to each receiver? What about the HD DVR? Say I wanted to add another receiver at some point, would this be a problem?

Thanks jdspencer! I didn't realize they sold LNBs with SWM builtin. That seems like the easier option since I have to dismantle the dish and move it with me anyway. So I would take one cable from the 3LNB SWM to a 1x4 splitter, and then a cable to each receiver? What about the HD DVR? Say I wanted to add another receiver at some point, would this be a problem?

You also need the power inserter. It comes with the SWM setup. IIRC, the SWM will run up to eight tuners with the standard setup.

With the SWM LNB it can support up to 8 tuners. The DVR supports both tuners with the use of SWM with one cable connected. With the correct splitters you should be fine as long as you don't get over the 8 tuner limit.

You might consider having Directv install a dish at the new location with the mover's connection, which is free (including whatever parts are required). There might be a commitment with that, but since you are getting a new receiver you will have one anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)